PDA

View Full Version : Dissapearing Modem?

TOT
8th Mar 2004, 03:30
Hi .
I have a Sony laptop with an internal modem , OS Windows 2000.
Everything has been fine until recently. Like everybody else I have had my fair share of virus's, however they all now seem to be cleaned and I have had no trouble for a few weeks. But I now have a new problem. The laptop is working fine, close down overnight , start up to morrow, go to log on to the internet and the following message appears, "To use this facility you must have a modem fitted and configured" If you then go to device manager either the entire "modem" has gone out of the list , or, the driver has disappeared, either way the only way to fix it is to restart in SAFE mode and re install the modem and driver. It then works fine until you close down again. Then the same ritual is there all over again. If you have any ideas I would be very gratefull. Regards TOT.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
8th Mar 2004, 05:40
TOT,

You could download updated drivers for your modem. Then boot normally and add the device (the Modem), without using Safe Mode. Either though Phone and Modems Options or Add Hardware.

Take Care,

Richard

fobotcso
8th Mar 2004, 06:18
TOT,

What Service Pack have you got? You should be on at least SP3 if not SP4. There was a vaguely similar problem that was fixed in SP4.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
8th Mar 2004, 06:55
fobotcso,

I think the SP4 Fix had to do with the Modem losing settings for Compression, Port Speed, Flow Control, etc. but not the computer losing the modem itself.

Installing the Latest Service Pack could help fix the problem with the modem and some of the other damage the Viruses did to TOT's OS too. It is worth a shot.

Take Care,

Richard

TOT
8th Mar 2004, 12:02
Hi

I have just checked, I am using SP4.

Thanks

fobotcso
8th Mar 2004, 16:36
Richard, yes I was aware of that. That's what "vaguely similar" means. :\ fobs

Naples Air Center, Inc.
9th Mar 2004, 11:04
TOT,

Did you try installing the modem with the latest drivers and did you try removing SP4 and installing it again?

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. fobotcso I guess you are just "vaguer" than I expected. :D

TOT
14th Mar 2004, 02:25
After speaking to Sony technical help, they suggested using the rescue CD disks that came with the machine. This effectively reinstalls Windows, although you do lose all the work. OK The projects and work were saved on to an external hard drive, the system was then re installed as per Sony instructions. During the conversation with Sony they mentioned something about , take out the battery, take out the 3 1/2 drive , hold down the power switch and it "resets itself". I have tried all of this and it STILL loses the modem overnight and between shut downs!!! Any Ideas would be appreciated. Thanks TOT.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
14th Mar 2004, 03:51
TOT,

If the notebook is still under warranty, then send it back to Sony. Your problem is hardware related. If it were software related, then the Recovery Disk would have solved the problem.

Take Care,

Richard