PDA

View Full Version : ATPL average

deTrix75
7th Mar 2004, 18:10
Does anyone know the average score in the ATPL exams or single subjects?

deTrix

RowleyUK
7th Mar 2004, 21:22
What do you mean???

The pass mark is 75%.........My average ove the whole lot was 89%!!

Top mark in Gen Nav 97%

Lowest mark in Met 80%

Hope that helps!

:ok:

witchdoctor
8th Mar 2004, 19:04
deTrix,

Not sure why you would want to know as I suspect the only people who care are ground instructors and students in groundschool.

As long as you pass the bloody things employers are far more interested in your flying ability and capacity - unless you really want to be a groundschool instructor.;)

Hufty
8th Mar 2004, 19:33
I also agree that you're never likely to get asked, however if you get them all first time it is good to be able to mention that on your CV. It might go un-noticed, but anything you can do to make you stand out is worth doing. I'm not a good case study as I don't have a flying job (!) but it might make a difference to somebody looking at you.

I was planning to just aim for a pass in all mine but when I was in the admin office of my groundschool provider, I happened to notice some results info sitting on the desk. It was for some sponsored cadets and some of the people were getting 100% across a large number of the subjects - the rest in the high 90s.

It was then that I decided to reduce the number of papers I was attempting at each sitting and to aim for the highest marks I could get as I wanted to look as good as I could against these guys.

I averaged 89% but out of all the application forms I've filled in, only one asked.

All the best..

Send Clowns
8th Mar 2004, 20:03
These change somewhat from month to month. The CGI of each school gets them, but I'm not sure how useful they would be to a student.

Jinkster
8th Mar 2004, 20:26
I have passed 9 of them so far. Averaging 84%, with top Mass and Balance - 100% and lowest Met 76%

All the best

Jinkster

tomcs
8th Mar 2004, 23:03
Hi!

I got 94% i think in all 14..highest 100% VFR Comms and lowest 83% for instruments..

tomcs

deTrix75
9th Mar 2004, 21:58
Thank you guys! I wanted to see how I was doing compared to others :)

High Wing Drifter
10th Mar 2004, 01:21
Hmmm. I was feeling quite smug with my 90% avg for my first eight. Should have known better :O (best Instruments 97% and worst Met 84%).

Sungod Ra
17th Mar 2004, 00:41
First 8 subjects in December - average 92%.

Last 6 subjects, would let you know in 2 days time but I'll be in the pub!!!

WX Man
20th Mar 2004, 09:21
Anyone ever got 100% in Gen Nav or Fright Planning?

RowleyUK
20th Mar 2004, 11:58
WX man-

I got 97% in gen nav and was well chuffed until a fellow student in my class turned up with his 99% in gen nav!:{

Send Clowns
20th Mar 2004, 12:52
Reckon I could get 100% in either on a good day, Wx Man ;) If you're careful on those polar stereographics you might manage it too :D

RowleyUK
20th Mar 2004, 12:58
what did you get in your Nav exam SC?:=

Sungod Ra
20th Mar 2004, 13:08
Little box of sunshine arrived today (sans mushroom cloud)....

All 14 bagged first time over 5 months with average of 91%. Range 84 - 100.

Smug b4$t4rd! Still going grey and ugly tho.....

The uphill struggle to reintegrate back into society starts tonight, with my social workers John Smith and Jack Daniels :}

WX Man
21st Mar 2004, 19:24
Yep, going for 100% in Gen Nav... just need to work out that finger trouble on the old Casio FX992V. If only I could master those speed up/slow down at [time] questions....!:ok:

(my latest worry is HPL. I hate it)

Slim20
22nd Mar 2004, 18:32
I got 100% in FPP, and over 90% in Nav, Met, Air Law, Ops Proc, HPL and M&B. No-one out there gives a toss!

Brush up on them past papers guys, especially the ones from Jerez........ Just get through em 1st time and stop wasting time on the ground!

Ray_DK
22nd Mar 2004, 19:30
6 down 6 to go.
My Best: RNav 98%
My Worst: ASP 82% (which was a bit disappointing but what the heck)
Average: 88.7%

Polish Erek
22nd Mar 2004, 20:40
I now have passed exams with an average grade of 92%, RNav was the strongest result with 100%. HPL was lowest with 82% but I am pilot not doctor. I passed all first time but got lucky with some imagination.

Speevy
23rd Mar 2004, 07:34
Passed all first time. average 94%, MB and FP 100% lowest HP 89%,
I agree with some you, the most important thing is passing them, nobody really cares about the average (not sure about the fact you passed them first time or not).

Good luck and Good flying

Jarvy
23rd Mar 2004, 10:14
To lower the average failed 3 first time round (passed them second time). Highest 95% IFR Coms, lowest passes 75% in POF(H), Ops and Met. How lucky is that. But I am older and fly helicopters!!!

Keith.Williams.
23rd Mar 2004, 12:04
In the March 2004 ATPL(A) exams the averages were as follows:

Air Law 81.4
AGK 78
Instruments 79.4
Mass & B 84
Performance 79.2
Flt Planning 82.6
HP&L 84.9
Met 79
Gen Nav 80.9
Rad Nav 83.3
Ops Proc 84.4
POF 83
VFR Comms 92.6
IFR Comms 91.2

These averages vary quite a lot month to month, so this is just a snapshot.

Capt Wannabe
23rd Mar 2004, 14:52
WXMan,
Yeah got 100% in Flight Planning back in 2001 and still no job :sad:

Topgun 4122T
23rd Mar 2004, 21:42
What a load of Bol**x ? who cares , Ive 9 exams out of the way and sitting the rest next month and just want to pass them aswell, after that who cares besause at the end of the day its you flying ability and who you know thats going to land you a job ..

Speevy
24th Mar 2004, 06:18
Hey Derek,
just one question, are you a CFI?
Did you do the distance learning course through Oxford?

I got this feeling I might know you.....

Speevy

Pub User
25th Mar 2004, 18:31
Derek

Lots of people care, some airlines may even ask you how you did in your exams. Your flying ability is only properly tested after you get the job; anything you can lay on the table to impress the interviewer gives you more chance of getting that job.

Megaton
25th Mar 2004, 18:46
What you're all forgetting is the the JAR exams are significantly easier now that all the schools have a large bank of questions to work with. Now when I did the exams blah blah blah:yuk:

Slim20
25th Mar 2004, 19:25
Derek - I beg to differ with you on that (unless you know the right people of course, in which case disregard!)

Airlines are on the lookout for people who will make good OPERATORS. This is a good blend of personal qualities, organisation, logical thinking, knowledge and application of SOPs, sound judgement and good decision-making. Most airline application forms will ask you questions about these qualities, not your flying ability. The most you'll get asked about flying is how many hours you have.

As Pub User says, no HR person in an airline knows what your flying's like when your CV/application lands on their desk.

Send Clowns
25th Mar 2004, 22:28
Slim, Derek is basically right.

Told to me by an airline personnel manager - you are interviewed by pilots, sim checked by pilots. pilots hate groundschool. By far the most important thing is the flight tests and then sim rides. Groundschool must be passed, and obviously given two otherwise equal candidates first-time passes must be an advantage, but they mean little beyond that.

I am an ATPL ground instructor, and still i have to see his point!

High Wing Drifter
26th Mar 2004, 07:07
Is it safe to generalise as to what one employer looks for over another?

Voeni
26th Mar 2004, 13:37
Guys, try www.aerosolutions.be

You'll get all the questions from the JAA-Database, although you will never be able to get through them (thousands and thousands). You also have to pay but it's worth it, because no question in the exam will be unfamiliar for you.

Unfortunately, I got to know this site after I did my exams... passed it, but it was tough.

Slim20
27th Mar 2004, 09:17
Send Clowns,

There has to be more to it than that - someone (usually not a pilot) has to have a reason to get past your CV or application to consider you worthy of putting through interview?

I've been through two airline interviews/sim checks as a low-houred pilot. I felt at interview it was more important that they liked you as a person, and felt that you would fit into their organisation. I definitely got the impression that this was more important for low-houred guys, as their flying skills weren't expected to be much more than basic.

Having said that, I think in the current climate, I must agree that who you know is quite important to getting to that interview in the first place......