PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne Grand prix

Dog One
7th Mar 2004, 17:53
Why wont the TV Directors show more of the aviation action over Albert Park. I am sure that most viewers would be more than interested, rather than trying to interview some driver over the top of it.

Whether Schumaker wears red or black jocks can always wait until after the aerial acts. Longest exposure I saw was the QF A340 - all of 20 secs.

Capt Fathom
7th Mar 2004, 18:20
That QF A340 wasn't a 737-800 by any chance :oh:

Pimp Daddy
7th Mar 2004, 19:09
That QF A340 wasn't a 737-800 by any chance

Certainly looked like one when it pushed back. It may have transmogrified enroute but.

QNIM
7th Mar 2004, 20:50
Gday

It's easy just count those thingy's that hang under the wings I think they are called enjins one has two the other has four.
I think. :O

Cheers Q

Howard Hughes
8th Mar 2004, 04:21
I think your all wrong,
the commentators actually called it "Qantas's new A-330".
I always believe them!!

Cheers, HH.
:ok:

John Eacott
8th Mar 2004, 06:07
Dog One,

This year's woeful coverage was a cost cutting exercise: Network Ten bought the coverage from F1 TV, who are only interested in an international market for motor racing :(

Previous years, Ten (through Global TV, their contractor for OB) have done a pretty good job, with reasonable "non F1" moments. This year was the pits: Wescam in a single engine JetRanger, so no low level permit from CASA, and soft pics as a result; no V8 in car cameras; no 16:9 (all 4:3 except for the adverts!), and about 60% of previous camera numbers. You may have noticed how it took 5-10 minutes to get any replays of incidents in the support races, indicative of F1 TV's poor capability.

In order to accommodate the Qantas flypast, we had to fly Med1 heart transplant to the Alfred at >500ft. Strange priorities :confused:

Dog One
8th Mar 2004, 10:39
My apologies gents - I only saw the tail end of the QF flypast and meant to say A330 flypast. We all know the A340 has 4 engines, I see one or two nearly every working day.

Thanks for the info John, it was a woeful coverage. Lets hope Adelaide does a bit better later this month.

Sultan Ismail
8th Mar 2004, 13:22
A330 or 737-800

From where I sat, in the lounge in KL, the aircraft picked out by F1 TV was a QANTAS 737-800, the winglets were very prominent.

Of course if QANTAS don't have this type of aircraft on the fleet, then Bernie Ecclestone must be trying to save money with cutaways to MS Flight Sim 2004.

turbantime
9th Mar 2004, 16:37
Saw snippets of the Roulletes as well as a shot of the F/A-18, but the Hornet had to go home and refuel as it had no drop tanks on :E

Soulman
10th Mar 2004, 14:49
Gotta love that A330 but. It's like calling a Hyundai a V8 Supercar!

Tossers.

Dave Incognito
12th Mar 2004, 12:55
Saw the 737 fly over whilst sitting on the banks of the Yarra at the Moomba festival. Certainly looked very tidy hooking in around the city. Also managed to catch a glimpse of the F/A-18 as it finished it’s display and pulled up sharply to climb away into the clouds. As for the Moomba birdmen, well there was a hell of a lot more falling than flying going on... :p

How does the rostering work for those airline display flights? I imagine there were two very happy chappies up the front of that 737.