PDA

View Full Version : Second Officer Entry to Virgin

Skyway
7th Mar 2004, 17:06
Just wondering if anyone would know if VirginBlue will have the ability to recruit second officers on the NG's. If so would they consider it or have the need to do so in the near future.

Thanks in advance.:)

slice
7th Mar 2004, 22:16
All of Virgin Blue's Copilots are second officers and as a result the First Officers fly in the left hand seat and they do all the take offs but if the landings are quite difficult they give the second officer the landing practice because they need it more.

:ok:

Dehavillanddriver
8th Mar 2004, 04:58
Slice - you sound like you missed out on a job!

Metro Boy
8th Mar 2004, 11:40
Why would we need second officers for?

slice
8th Mar 2004, 12:55
I was actually just trying to reply togue in cheek to the original question as the original poster doesn't really seem to understand why there are second officers in the first place:confused: No disrespect to VB crew intended. I should have finished up by saying that as all the flight deck seats are occupied the Captain has to spend the whole flight shagging the FAs in the toilet :E

slice
9th Mar 2004, 10:42
In the context of this question (Australia now) an SO is invariably a long haul relief pilot.

Do tell which airlines refer to inexperienced co-pilots as Second Officers:confused:

The last sentence was a joke :8

Skyway
10th Mar 2004, 05:03
Now I may not be as experienced as some in the airline game, yet. However, I seem to understand a little more now after this post. All be it a little tence there at times, I have an idea of the issues and reasons that an SO would or would not be employed.

I would just like to say that this was indeed a question on the viability of an airline recruiting lower houred, less experience pilots and training them. Simply put, I am considering going bush again to gain the required IF time for a position. To not have to lose any more money and live in a caravan again would be terrific.

Slice if I sounded a little bit naive, I apologise.

I am now of the opinion that the more IF Multi experience the better, whether or not you enter as a FO or an SO.

Thanks again, and remember, it was only a question.

:ok: