PDA

View Full Version : David Clark

MARZ
7th Mar 2004, 11:50
What's you're view on the David Clark H10-60?
im working towards a PPL, then hopefully CPL but I need a set kind of soon. On you're view, how do the 10-60 compare to the 13.4?

I have been told that david clark is the most reliable? Has anyone had good experiences with other brands? if so, i'd be very interested.

--marz

QNIM
7th Mar 2004, 16:16
Gday Marz

Can't comment on the H10-60, but just look around and see which headset most profesional GA pilots use, I recommend 13.4
to all of my students if they can afford them, mine are years old and still going strong.

cheers Q

tealady
8th Mar 2004, 08:46
if you are going to buy headsets, try buying over the internet from Avshop in Iowa in the US. Current price AUS$ is around $350 to 390 for the 13.4's - just goes to show how much the pilot supply shops are ripping off students! Best price I could get in oz for a qty of 10, yep 10 DC13.4's was $550.00. The Avshop price isn't even wholesale - so how much are the aussie pilot shops really making?

Ace on Base
8th Mar 2004, 16:14
I have to agree with the Tea Lady......... 13.4's all the way!! (and on the fact that pilot shop suppliers rip off potential pilots (and pilots that work for their hard earned cash)

Had mine now for almost 9 years, and not a problem as yet - touch wood!!

Tea lady, either you have 10 sets of ears, or you were going to buy them on behalf of your students........ if so, how much were you going to sell them for each set??:hmm:

Cheers

tealady
9th Mar 2004, 05:36
Ace on Base, I have never made a profit on headsets - they are an essential tool in this business - I am always on the lookout for a bargain, especially for student pilots. I was not happy when my daughters headset was stolen and I had to fork out $750 for a new set. If I was in the business of selling headsets, then I wouldn't be telling anyone about avshop.com Another good bargain for blue or white pilot shirts is the Yakka lady at the Queen Victoria market in Melbourne. At $25.00 a shirt I reckon it's the best buy in Melbourne - and you can't beat Target when they have a sale for Navy blue trousers! By the way, the bulk buy was to make it easier for students to get hold of them, but I gave up trying to co-ordinate the buy as they were dithering about what to buy, so they're on there own with all the iinfo I have given them.

onya
9th Mar 2004, 05:37
DC's will last you a long time. Thats why they are so bloody expensive. However before going out and buying the much raved about 13.4's have a good look at the whole range. For mine 10.20's are a far superior headset to the 13.4's (I've had both) but if I was going again I'd without a thought spend the money and get the ones fitted with the Active Noise Reduction. Or at least buy the kit and fit them yourself. Some of the guys at work use 10.60's and say they are great. End of the day it's up to you and what feels comfortable on your head. Also consider the fact that you'll probably want to wear sunnies as well so make sure that they are comfortable with your sunnies on.
Last but least get them from the States and save yourself a few hundred bucks. Pilot supply shops in Oz are touching us all.
Onya:ok:

turtle
9th Mar 2004, 06:15
After buying a headset from the States on the net do you really save? It cost me 292.50 US which worked out just over 400AUD then I had to pay 65AUD Postage and insurance. It took three weeks to arrive. Then the best bit... The left speaker sh!t itself still under D.C 5 year warranty. After numerous emails and a international phone call, I was asked to send my headset back to the US to be fixed another 65 dollars postage and approx 2 to three months before I would have got em back. Stuff that got em fixed at a Bankstown avionics shop in ten minutes and hundred bucks later. Not such a great saving..

Great headset though.

QNIM
9th Mar 2004, 07:39
Gday onya

Lets not condem the pilot supply shops, just remember that the agents/importers have to get their cut before the local shops get theirs, and no I have no connection with either.

Cheers Q

Atlas Shrugged
9th Mar 2004, 09:12
I've had the same set of 13.4's for years & still going strong. Even drove a Trinidad over them once - not a problem!

Atlas

MARZ
9th Mar 2004, 13:35
The reason that I was interested in the H10-60 was that I could get a brand new set for AU$470. I have heard that the 10-60 is a great deal heavier than the more common 10-13.4 so I would rather spend a little bit extra and get something a little more lighter. I have been unable to find a real difference between the 10-60 and the 13.4 apart from the heaviness factor. This leads me to think that the 13.4 would be more comfortable and prabably a better investment.

Hey- you're right!! buying from america is the way to go!! avshop is awesome.

CurtissJenny
9th Mar 2004, 16:55
Have had a DC model 10-40 in regular use for the last 10 plus years without a complaint. A good unit.

The opportunity recently came up for me to acquire a Bose model X ANR headset so I did.
A great unit. The ANR function cuts in after start up and really kills the noise.
I nearly felt like I was flying a glider it was that quiet.

lazyeye
10th Mar 2004, 09:27
Had the pleasure of using a Bose noise reduction headset a few years ago. Very light and comfortable to wear, only downfall is you need lots of dosh to get one. I use the 13.4 like most and highly reccommend.

Flyingscarecrow
11th Mar 2004, 10:02
I've got a pair of $185 Flightcoms, had them 5 years, never a problem. Have used DCs over the years, sure they're better, and while mine aren't as glamourous, i can always understand the radio and they're comfy as hell (well worn in). Plus i've got $3-400 extra lining my pocket. DCs are good, but while i'm in GA i've got better things to spend my hard earned on.

Thermal Bandit
11th Mar 2004, 21:15
Every now and then second hand DC’s come up, someone getting out of aviation who has made the big investment, or moving on to airlines. That is how I purchased my H10.40 about 16 years ago, and they are still going strong

For those looking for an option to ANR units, check out Origan Aero headset upgrade www.oregonaero.com - I have flown with a converted H10-13.4 I have since converted my 14yo H10-60s – expensive but worth it.

:ok:

MARZ
14th Mar 2004, 09:02
Yes, I have seen the ANR 'do it yourself' kits advertised in several places... for around three hundred dollars, is it really worth it? I am using a set of 10-40's and the noise attenuation is around 25db, which is fine for me at the moment. The main factor for me is how 'heavy' the headset is on my head. The good thing about the 10-13.4 is that it's very light and the noise attenuation is still very good. People have told me that the 10-60 is a great deal heavier... to me it looks stronger and the mic boom looks like it's better quality.

The 10-60 has pressure adjustments on each ear... what does this mean?

Thermal Bandit can you please confirm the internet address...:ok:

QSK?
15th Mar 2004, 02:32
I'm with you Flyingscarecrow.

I spent a lot of money on a DC some years ago and had no end of trouble with it. Finally got my money back and went and bought a FlightLine headset from the pilot shop guy at Archerfield for about half the price of the DC.

You know what? I reckon the FlightLine is just as good (if not better) than any of the DCs I've listened to, has dual volume controls, gold-plated plugs, extremely comfortable to wear for long periods and is sooooo much lighter!

Problem is, I havn't seen too many other FlightLine headsets around, so I'm wondering whether they are still sold in Oz!

Tinstaafl
16th Mar 2004, 11:36
My H10-40s are ~20-25 years old. I've had them for 20 years and wouldn't part with them. They've endured the usual GA abuse.

To be fair, about 10 years ago I sent them back to DC in the USA to be repaired & refurbished. For US$70 they came back with a new headband & pad, new leads, new mike & 1 replaced speaker. I could have had a volume control (as that was DC's standard fit by then) but chose not to. One more thing able to break...

DC even returned all the replaced parts so I now have spare bits & pieces.

willbav8r
18th Mar 2004, 23:02
Marvgolden . com

I went all out for the ENC of the 13.4's. Work great, but maybe the Lightspeed's are more comfy?

7gcbc
18th Mar 2004, 23:21
10.40's here, I know they don't make em any more, Is there something I should know about this set ? had em for 6+ years and no probs.

?
7gcbc