PDA

View Full Version : South African Maintenance Licence

tigermech
7th Mar 2004, 06:24
Can any of you nice guys in SA pass on some advice to a young engineer?

I知 getting married to a Capetonian and hope to move out to SA soon. I知 going out there later this year and I知 thinking of sitting the SA AMEL exams, but I知 a bit confused.

Do you need a type course before you sit the exams? As I致e seen you apply for a type on the application. Or can you apply for just the basic licence and add a type later on?

I致e read through some of the SA-CATS-AMEL and PART 66, but the main thing I知 confused about is if you need a type course to apply for the licence.

Any help and advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

TM
:confused:

Balloothebear
8th Mar 2004, 15:15
Tigermech
You need to give a few more specifics here mate:
Firstly,if you currently have an ICAO recognised AME license,with a valid type rating,and you are planning to live in SA( ie get a permanent residence permit) and are able to find work with an approved maintenance facility,getting a validation shouldnt be to much of a problem.
Secondly,if you have no licence at all,but a valid and internationally recognised aircraft engineer (technician,fitter etc) trade test,then Im afraid there's a whole lot more sweat.
Thirdup,if you are fresh off the street and want to play with aeroplanes in South Africa with no experience,then there is a long hard road ahead.
Please PM me if you require more specific info.
Finally,the Cape is just about the best place to live in Africa,and the girls there are all out of the top drawer.......enjoy it.
Rgds
"Balloo":ok:

tigermech
9th Mar 2004, 08:07
Balloo,

Cheers for the reply,

I've sent you a PM with a few details.

Your right about Cape Town and its women. Don't think words could describe how great that place is. And the women, well need I say more.

Hopefully I'll end up out there soon, don't think I could cope with anymore Scottish winters.

Cheers

TM