PDA

View Full Version : The most memorable flight of your life

D_Av8tor
6th Mar 2004, 22:25
Hey ppl!

I was curious in knowing if there was ever a flight you took as a passenger, that truly amazed you, to where it made a difference in your life.
I know for me, I once took a certain flight with virgin atlantic and the people, the atmosphere, the cool little things (the pilot making a few jokes), it inspired me to become an airline pilot.

I just thought it would be cool to share these great memories, and learn to how to make memories like these for the passengers, especially the kids.

Cheers!

D_Av8tor

Globaliser
7th Mar 2004, 18:06
This will sound really naff, but LHR-JFK-LHR on Concorde was, well, just extraordinary.

PAXboy
7th Mar 2004, 21:56
I have been paxing for 38 years and I have to say that I join Globaliser on the Concorde experience, although I only did a one-way. Last August 8th, on G-BOAC, the roll was just staggering that, by the time we rotated - I was laughing out loud. :D

Before that? A heli ride over the mountains and valleys of Kauai in December 1990 features strongly. I, also, recall a fab trip with VS.

In August 1987, I was did a GLA~EWR on one of their Classics. It was not my first with VS but I spent a Sunday afternoon, in Seat 2A, with the sun pouring through the window being given beautiful food. Then, whilst sitting with my feet up, to watch several Tom & Jerry cartoons, they brought me ice-cream. Sheer bliss.

Of course, I still remember my first, December 1965, VC-10 operating LHR~JNB. [misty, far away look in eyes]

SLF
8th Mar 2004, 01:01
Helicopter ride around Catherdal Peak in the Drakensberg Mts in South Africa, up a river to a 50 ft waterfall plunge pool, then up the waterfall into Lesotho and back over the 2000 ft sheer drop = absolutely fantastic!!!

Also a meteor shower SIN-MEL a couple of years ago, even through side windows could see one every 10 seconds or so :ok:

EasyBaby
8th Mar 2004, 08:53
I fondly remember being winched off a ferry by a SN-61!!! The scarest flights i remember being; boarding a TWA 747 just after the TWA 800 tradgedy i had a cold sweat for most the trip, a go around on an ATP doing an approach to a windy LSI. The best flight was with TWA though an ATC delay in St Louis for almost 4 hours, we were on route at this point flying over Canada's frozen wilderness, so the Capt decided to desend below the clouds, the scenery was spectacular, pax stuck in the middle rows were craning their necks and queing up at the doors to have a glimpse, not sure what the problem was their end but i couldn't have cared less!

pilotwolf
8th Mar 2004, 14:36
I d have to add my name to the list of Concorde pax...

CDG to JFK with Aerbabe!

:ok:

Crepello
8th Mar 2004, 14:47
Yep, I'll sign up to the supersonic brag-list too.

My only tactical error was arriving at LHR three hours before takeoff and availing myself of the hospitality. My consumption probably covered the fare. Profuse apologies to any BA shareholders who are reading. In hindsight, I'm surprised they let me into the US... :E

Oct 24th was a sad day indeed. :{

reynoldsno1
9th Mar 2004, 03:24
Diverting from Lukla (Nepal, 9500ft) to Syangboche (Nepal, 12500ft) in a MiL8, Russian crew, "VFR" - only just made it as the cloud chased us in. Overnight at the local Sherpa lodge, yak steak for dinner and a glass of Chivas Regal...not the best night's sleep I have ever had....

TightSlot
9th Mar 2004, 16:33
Most Important would be... first ever as Cabin Crew

Most Memorable... as an UM (or UYP) of 11 yrs was UTA Paris to Jo'burg via Kinshasa: Two night stops en-route (alone, no parents), Tropical Storms, a go-around and exotic places together with a crew that were divinely French (Chic, Sexy, Arrogant and Professional) - all on a DC-8 that was incredibly long and bendy. My career was mapped out from that trip onwards.

Most Amazing... Unofficially onboard an empty 767 full air test and experiencing Dutch Roll in the rear cabin: God bless Yaw Dampers, long may they function!

--------------------
Per Ardua Ad Ibiza

BahrainLad
9th Mar 2004, 17:20
Yes, Concorde for me as well.

I arrived in the lounge even earlier than Crepello (about 5 hours before departure!) and controlled my nervousness (I was on standby) with several glasses of whatever bubbly they were serving.

But I remember every second of it. BA's "The Ultimate Travel Experience" slogan was entirely correct.

SLF
10th Mar 2004, 04:10
...Dutch Roll in the rear cabin...

An early example of KLM experimenting with economy catering? :D

I'll get me coat...

silly walks
10th Mar 2004, 09:50
My favourite 3 in no particular order are

1) Helicopter ride in new york, flying down the east river below the top of the World Trade Center,turning very tightly over the statue of liberty and finally having a tomcat go roaring over the top of us on the way back to heliport. Fantastic

2) 1st time on jump seat coming into LHR with the approach over central london on a clear sunny day

3)Getting upgraded to 1st class on AA and having their signature 7 course meal finished with hageen dazs mmmmmmmm!!!!:ok:

SW

tcr2
10th Mar 2004, 13:14
1) My first ever flight, on an 'Air Cymru' BAC 1-11 from Cardiff to Malaga aroung about 1984. Simply remember how noisy those engines were.

2) A BA flight from LHR to PER on 747-400 'Chelsea Rose', to start a new life 'down under'. Remember it as a big step in my life. Also remember sitting in the cockpit, somewhere near Tehran, watching the sun set, and the sky turn that wonderful dark blue/purple colour. Great memories.

OFBSLF
10th Mar 2004, 22:46
1) As a 20-year-old co-op student at Xerox, I had a ride on their corporate shuttle from White Plains, NY to Rochester, NY. The shuttle was normally a turbo-prop, but that was down for annual maintenance. It was replaced with a Gulfstream GII.

2) A heli-tour in Homer, AK in a B206. On the way out, I had the left-hand seat. We landed on a Glacier. Mrs. OFBSLF had the front-seat on the way back.

nooluv
11th Mar 2004, 05:01
:cool: Tiger moth 1980! Front seat passenger, Climb out from the Racetrack, Wingover, Surfers Paradise (Qld Australia). I was in Paradise!
I think the pilots name was Bruce. Anyone know if he's still around?

2nd best flight! Victoria to Edmonton (Air Canada727)!
10 minutes after take off I could still see the airport?
Pilot gaining Height to cross the Rockies, fantastic scenery.
Nooluv...........
:ok:

malanda
11th Mar 2004, 23:30
1) Seaplane in the Maldives :D

2) Hot air balloon in a thunderstorm :uhoh:

speedbird_heavy
12th Mar 2004, 00:32
AF4317 Concorde "Round the bay"

My first flying lesson in a Piper Warrior

My first Balloon fligh

They all bring back fond memories

pepere
13th Mar 2004, 01:43
The best for sure.... a 2 hours ride aboard a B-17 (the only one flying in Europe if no mistake) in France, july 1996, between Pau ( near the pyrenees) and La Rochelle...:cool:

Beat me if you can :E (even if i must agree a tour with concorde is near perfection ;) )

Pollyana
13th Mar 2004, 20:08
Most memorable - my best mate's first flight as a fully fledged First Officer. Seeing him achieve his dream in spite of all kinds of obstacles made it worth the price of a last minute seat in Business Class!

2) First solo from Shoreham in a Cessna 152...... anyone know the current whereabouts of G-BNJD?

3) Approaching Melbourne for my first trip to Oz, on the jumpseat of a Qantas 747 (a few years ago), at 5am, pitch dark, and the city spread out in front of us. On the same flight I was visiting the cockpit as we crossed India in the dark, surrounded by lightning storms turning the clouds wonderful colours. I couldn't believe that the clouds towered so high above us.

visibility3miles
13th Mar 2004, 23:19
My most memorable flight on a commercial jet was flying into Toronto. The pilot was told there would be a delay of twenty minute or more before landing, so he spent the time circling over Niagra Falls, with all the pax glued to the windows on a beautiful, sunny day.

I don't think anyone complained...

Pax Vobiscum
14th Mar 2004, 10:33
As far as scheduled flights go, it was an Icelandair (now Air Iceland) F50 back from Kulusuk (Greenland) to Reykjavik. I don't know if it's a regular thing, but the pilot explained as we took off that "as it's a nice day" we'd do some sightseeing of the glaciers. Most impressive, particularly following the transfer from Ammasalik over the sea ice in a Bell Jet Ranger.

Ace Rimmer
16th Mar 2004, 07:38
One of the best bits about my job (actually on reflection the best bit). Is getting to play with shiney new aircraft for flight test stories in Rimmer News. Anyway last year for a story in RN USA. I got to be the first journo (actually the first not Embraer guy) to fly the 170...that was cool...I mean very nice aeroplane and all but with the added bonus of knowing we'd beaten Budgie News, AvLeak and so on to the punch. :cool:

Couple of years back I delivered one of Mrs R's mates (who'd never flown before) to her hen weekend via Arrer ( it was a surprise... she'd been dumped in front of the airfield by two non henning mates) - the look on her face as we took off was a picture. Only surpassed by the look when we taxied up and there on the other side of the fence were the steaming reprobates that are Mrs R's mates...made me feel quite misty....:yuk:

Paracab
16th Mar 2004, 21:20
Tagged along for the day on a brand new EC135 air ambulance as a third crew member/observer on a beautiful summers day.

Got tasked on an RTA and landed right at the side of a major A road, absolutely brilliant.

Made better by the fact the RTA was non-injury, therefore I really enjoyed the whole experience without guilt

:uhoh: :ok: :cool:

radeng
18th Mar 2004, 12:16
Long enough ago that there was a wall in Berlin and the flight there was an internal one on PanAm. For some reason, we went through a thunderstorm, and several times, the whole plane lit up and there was a noise I can only describe as sounding like someone had thrown a handful (more likely a bulldozer full!) of gravel against the fuselage.

It was a bit bouncy too. Cabin crew all strapped in, and one of them using the barfbag, poor girl.

Always remember that flight......

renfrew
23rd Mar 2004, 16:09
1)My first ever flight,an RAF Anson down the length of Loch Lomond at zero feet.

2)Concorde from Glasgow to Edinburgh!
I never did manage a supersonic flight though.

3)A Chalks Mallard seaplane from Miami Harbour to Bimini.

TwinAisle
23rd Mar 2004, 22:32
A couple.....

My first solo.... amazing.

My first time to the US, (a BA 742) listening to some Dvorak, and watching the US coast coming out of the murk for the first time - awesome and moving...

Watching, on a BA744, the film Titanic, and being interrupted by the captain to point out an iceberg being born waaaaay below us... ironic and thought provoking

But.... the lovely bird. BA001, twice and BA002, once. "Ladies and Gentlemen, you are now travelling twice as high as Everest, 10% faster than a bullet. Enjoy our lovely bird...." Ahhhhhhh

Ta

Avman
23rd Mar 2004, 23:00
Too many to choose from. My first ever commercial airliner flight on an Airspeed Ambassador. I did the Concorde thing JFK-LHR. Riding jump seat on a DC-4 at 4000 feet VFR from YYZ-BUF-POU-BUF-YYZ. Riding jump seat on a C-46 out of YWG to various remote strips in Manitoba. Flying VFR around the Fjords of Norway in a Twin Otter on a beautiful gin clear day. Flying in the left seat of a DH Comet for two hours. Many, many more. Tell you what though, Concorde was great but give me a classic propliner any day.

AFFF
23rd Mar 2004, 23:26
Much the same as Avman, so many to choose from, but I often wondered if flying MAN-PUL-MAN in an Aviogenex TU-134A in 1977 had something to do with my joining the airport fire and rescue services less than two years later!!!!

Kolibear
25th Mar 2004, 09:44
Quite a few actually,

A quick trip round the bay in Concorde.

A short trip in a Tiger Moth, I just wish I could remember more of it.

One & only helicopter ride, over the Victoria Falls. I couldn't work decide which was best - the view outside or the flight.

My first solo will always be remembered of course.

Sitting in the jumpseat on a company jet all the way into Cologne.

A pleasure flight in a D. H. Rapide out of Duxford over central London. It was a clear day and we had great views. As we departed London to the east, Concorde came over.

My birthday present trial lesson - the instructor said nice things about my piloting ability which sowed a seed. Two years later it germinated after a sightseeing trip with a mate and I started my PPL.

batninth
26th Mar 2004, 08:29
I agree with the postings for Tiger Moth. I too sat was a front seat passenger last autumn being flown by Mike. Interesting landing as airfield had closed the runway into the wind so Mike bought it down in 15knots crosswind. Truely memorable. Mike should you read this - Thanks again:ok:

Also remember short hop from Houston to Austin flying just above the lightning and watching it all around us - great view.

Finally first go around coming into LBA from CDG. No problems with go around, but clearly remember the antipodean pilot explaining just who was to blame in no uncertain terms

WHBM
26th Mar 2004, 20:37
As with probably so many on this board, first solo.

Actually, first solo cross country was even better, on reflection.

MuppetPax
27th Mar 2004, 20:09
Mine was today .... whilst queing for the toilet was told by the airstewardess to pick up some pax trays and rubbish ... much to the amusement and delight of my colleagues I got on with what I was told (and lost my place in the loo queue).

Was rewarded with a 'take away' bag containing a good selection of free items from the bar.

brockenspectre
28th Mar 2004, 19:57
Most memorable.... I have more than one:

(1) my first solo YAY!!!!!!!!! greaser landing... still brings a smile t my face when I recall it!

(2) evening before my first solo (as it happens) when I + instructor + C150 flew through corridor of 12 circular rainbows (brockenspectres)... way mindblowing!!

(3) first flight in a biplane... waffling over the Kent countryside, wind in face, feeling so totally a part of nature and loving it!

(4) first flight in a commercial jet, in 1968, Dan Air from LGW, a chartered "religious" flight to Rome for the canonisation of 40 English and Welsh Martyrs... a school trip... landed after a trip including a LOT of thunder/lightning/vomiting/praying and the Captain saying "we have to land folks, we cannot divert"..... we were last to land in Fiumicino for two days.... most of my schoolmates were ill or scared (surrounded by monks/nuns all praying) but I was fine... until we landed and then I felt faint hehehehehe

Bob Upndown
29th Mar 2004, 11:38
On first ever trip to HKG, flew into Kai Tak on jump seat of a CX 742 out of NRT.

Having heard all about the approach, the checkerboard, the turn, etc and to then see it all from the best seat in the house first time in, it was just simply the most amazing experience. Thanks Capt. Keith and chaps!

In the days when we were allowed onto the f/d with just the captain's say-so, any visit and chat with the chaps (and chapesses) made the flight a great one. Now, in the days of daft draconian exclusions, any opportunity to visit, chat and (hopefully!) experience t/o and/or landing is a golden one and duly appreciated (before anyone leaps on me for defying the rules, I am staff, with valid ID, always know at least one of the f/d crew and always on non-US flights. Phew, has that saved me from suspicion??!!:rolleyes: )

Go well All,

Bob

shaggy
6th Apr 2004, 09:11
First ever flight was in a Twin Otter in WA's North west also several memorable flights in the jump seat of various types over the years. F27 F 28 727 737 767 747 & the latest in RJ70 on approach into XCH which was terrific ( 3 times in the last 3 months )

but the best ever was from PER out to sea & land on board a US aircraft carrier in a G2 COD & then be fired off again. its a ride you don't forget.

balance ball
7th Apr 2004, 22:41
I think of many great flights, my most memorable must be:

1. First Solo in a C152 at Redhill

2. Aerobatics in a Tiger Moth at Booker airfield in High Wycombe. This was a 30th birthday present which finally persuaded me to take up flying myself.

3. A heli trip in the seychelles

4. Only 2 weeks ago, a private charter in the Caribbean from St Vincent to Grenada with Mustique Airways on a twin engined Aero Commander with my wife and 2 friends. Superb views over the Grenadines and a most entertaining downwind take off from St Vincent. The interior of the island rises steeply into mountains from where the prevailing winds seem to blow, right down the runway. As the pilot said 'There's only one way in and one way out!'. Thankfully it was not a strong wind that day!

PS Does anyone else have experience of similar locations where downwind take offs are the norm?

EGLKFlyer
8th Apr 2004, 16:43
1) Round the Bay in Concorde. Still misty-eyed thinking about it.

2) Qualifying Cross Country for the PPL (marginally better than the first solo). It was Bournmouth ATC's instruction that will stay with me for ever: "Golf Tango Echo, after the landing 737, line up & hold 26".

A daily occurence for you ATPLs, but it finally made me feel like a "real" pilot!

fireflybob
9th Apr 2004, 09:22
My dad, who was a veteran light aircraft instructor, taking me flying in the Chipmunk on a lovely sunny day when I was about 12 years old and teaching me how to do a loop!

Xeque
9th Apr 2004, 13:18
In no particular order:

An Ansett Dakota Hobart to Melbourne via Launceston when I was 12
Helicopter sightseeing in the Blue Mountains near Sydney - breathtaking
My first solo - I was so pleased with myself I wept
Taking delivery of my first aeroplane at Bournemouth and flying back to Bodmin
Jump Seat in an Air Lanka 737 Maldives arrival
Jump seat in a Cathay 747 at Hong Kong (sadly not the checkerboard) but impressive enough
COD out to the Harry S Trueman in the Arabian Gulf and fired back off again - mind boggling
+6 -2 G in a Pitts with the late John McLean - awesome
Offshore rig-hopping in a helicopter in the Arabian Gulf off Safaniya

The really sad thing is that I never made aviation my career. Now saving my pennies to buy a Jabiru to fly from the local grass strip here in Thailand.

Megaton
9th Apr 2004, 17:13
First solo.
Boot of a Jaguar T-bird on a bounced 4-ship round Caithness and Sutherland.
Sitting in the back of Red 9 during a practice at Akrotiri.
My instrument rating test - all two and a half hrs of it!

BALIX
10th Apr 2004, 08:23
First solo was a pretty amazing experience, especially as Bournemouth Tower asked me to do an orbit on the downwind leg...

As a Pax, a fam flight (sigh) from LHR - ORD in a BA 777 when the check-in girl allocated me seat 1A in first class by mistake. I should have been in business class which would have been good enough but First was just brilliant, especially as it cost me precisely nothing :ok:

My only trip in a helicopter, a fifteen minute jaunt between Castries and the international airport in St Lucia was pretty memorable.

A pleasure flight in a Dragon Rapide at Duxford last year and a similar one in a Dakota at Church Fenton a few years ago stick in the memory.

The best one, however, whould have to be my trip on Concorde. Alas, I never made it :{ :{ :{ :{ All those of you on this thread who have been on it are complete b'stards. :* :* :{ :{

Tolsti
10th Apr 2004, 11:43
Transaero Baku to Moscow on a 757 in the jump seat and then getting a go around as an Alitalia jet failed to get away on time at Sheremetyvo. It was 23rd December. great Xmas present.

TightSlot... I aslo did that UTA trip, via Douala in the (then French) Cameroon. I particularly remember the crew and that super stretched plane.

Charlie Zulu
10th Apr 2004, 17:07
My most memorable flight was returning to Cardiff from Palma on an Airways Cymru BAC 1-11. This was when I was seven years old so it must have been 1984, just like "tcr2"!

It so happens that it was my second ever flight, the first was a week previous outbound to Palma.

I'll type this in a manner I am now accustomed to, of course when I was seven I had no idea what the terminology was...

Anyway to cut a long story short we carried out a couple of ILS approaches to minimums followed by missed approaches and holding. We were told that it was foggy at Cardiff.

Of course back then Cardiff didn't have the Cat III ILS equipment that we now do so we weren't able to do a fully auto landing even if the BAC 1-11's had auto land capability (although we still don't have the lighting and runway markings to make it a Cat III ILS).

After a few of these we diverted to Birmingham where we sat it out awaiting Cardiff to clear. Eventually it did and we flew back to Cardiff for an uneventful landing.

So my first holiday using an aeroplane as the transport method saw me take three flights...

Since then I've enjoyed flying and learnt to fly a few years ago. Just starting my ATPL written exams. Arghhh.

But my most memorable flight (as PIC) was taking an Arrow III over the Grand Canyon, then Sedona for dinner before returning to L.A. at night.