PDA

View Full Version : What did YOU study??

MARZ
6th Mar 2004, 14:51
Am a student learning to fly.
Is a tertiary degree necessary in the field of aviation? when I say degree I mean a degree in anything (not necessarily an aviation degree)

For all the professional pilot's out there...

what are you flying and who are you flying for?

IF you went to university, what did you study?

cheers guys, Marz

The Bullwinkle
6th Mar 2004, 18:40
A degree is not necessary, but it doesn't hurt.

I did my Bachelor of Aviation degree through distance education, but I didn't start it until I already had about 2000 hrs.

The degree itself did have some interesting subjects, which have given me a better appreciation and understanding of various aviation aspects.

Almost any degree shows a potential employer that you are motivated, and I must say that it hasn't hurt my career at all.

Good luck.
BW

redsnail
6th Mar 2004, 19:00
Don't have a degree in any subject.

Hugh Jarse
7th Mar 2004, 01:22
You have a degree from the University of Life:ok:

Good luck with the training:}

Marz, I don't have a degree, but if I were to choose one it certainly wouldn't be aviation. I'd probably look at something that's pertinent to flying and as a backstop if things don't go quite the way you hope....

Rich-Fine-Green
7th Mar 2004, 04:40
No degree here either - Aviation has been good to me.

HJ has the right advice - if you want letters after your name, try something that will help if things go pear-shaped.

redsnail
7th Mar 2004, 06:34
Aww Jarse! I saw enough folk get degrees at Big Mac to have an idea about the system :D

If I was to do a degree, I would probably do law. I reckon that would be very very useful. :E Especially in this industry.

MARZ
7th Mar 2004, 06:59
thats interesting- thanks guys

A degree is not necessary... I would have thought that if an employer had the option to choose between two people with exactly the same hours and experience, he would go for the one with the degree... would that be true to say?

im just tossing up between a 'batchelor of Music' or 'batchelor of applied science in aviation' for next year.

cheers

Mr. Hat
7th Mar 2004, 07:05
Congratulations Redsnail.

I've been following your efforts for a few a few years now. Well done!

Degree you don't need it to get in. Can't hurt you though...

Hugh Jarse
7th Mar 2004, 16:09
A degree is not necessary... I would have thought that if an employer had the option to choose between two people with exactly the same hours and experience, he would go for the one with the degree... would that be true to say?

Marz,
I think you'll find that the employer will choose the applicant that performed the best in the interview/sim ride etc. They will choose the person they feel will be most valuable to them. Regardless of whether you have a degree or not, if you have a bad time on interview day then you miss out.

Currently a degree is a "nice to have", not a "need to have" for employers. Who knows what the future will bring though....

No disrespect intended - but isn't the music industry even harder to get a break in than aviation?

Hugh Jarse. Dso Vd and Scar BSA and Sidecar.

Pinky the pilot
7th Mar 2004, 19:31
The only degrees I possess are on the thermometer under the tree in my back yard.
I actually failed my Leaving certificate (year 11 to you young blokes) twice and then gave up in disgust!
And I will never forget the reaction from the Chief Pilot of the company I was then working for in PNG after I had read out the list of qualifications of an applicant for a vacant slot
' I don't give a s**t if he's got a degree in (whatever)... all I want to know is, can he fly?"
It may help, it may not. But as a fall back which in my case I don't have, which may explain why I'm in the position I currently find myself, it certainly can't hurt.

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

18-Wheeler
7th Mar 2004, 23:02
High school - Grade 12 here, nothing more.
My Dad was as senior 727 Captain with TAA / Australian Airlines and he only went to grade 10.

Trade secret - all you have to do is be able to add up, subtract, multiply and divide by three.

Yep, that's about it.

*edit - and spell, sod it!

farqueue
7th Mar 2004, 23:58
The big plus to an employer is that a degree proves that the victim can knuckle down and study for 3 years or so once, and thus there is a good chance they can again. That is with out any notice being taken of what they studied.

Luke SkyToddler
8th Mar 2004, 04:49
I have probably the worst of both worlds in that I went to university for 3 years studying for a B.A., did no work whatsoever, drank p!ss, played the guitar, had a great old time and managed to fail my course miserably, I still have no degree to show for it. Hence proving comprehensively to any prospective employer that I am totally incapable of knuckling down and studying :rolleyes:

A few years later and I'm now quite happily employed flying turboprops, my degree or lack of it, or indeed the missing 3 years of my life :ok: , has never even been brought up as a discussion point in airline interviews I've had so far.

There's more important things to worry about in my opinion.

Hey Reddo - congrats mate - great to hear you've cracked the big orange - well done!

AIRWAY
10th Mar 2004, 20:51
Redsnail wrote:
Don't have a degree in any subject.

Oh yes you do, Degree in Beer Drinking Management :}

I wish i could drink like that... ;)

:ok:

redsnail
11th Mar 2004, 02:34
Airway,
I'm a light weight compared to some of the chaps here. Spesh that Jarse! character. :E

Xcel
26th Mar 2004, 05:05
hey all.
schofields flying club is awesome. went to tafe and all the people from there followed my choice as i had a little experience.

every single student was happy and i got praised from all, not a single complaint about anything.

very good instructors well maintaned fleet and excellent admin staff. very nice environment good facilities also well priced.

ended up quiting tafe as they offer Diploma and Cert. IV now and have overseas student approval.
found that this is all that would be required and experience counts for alot. however if heading to the airlines it is an advantage but not mandatory to have a higher qualification, it shows the ability to apply yourself and study and be motivated.

any queries about schools or courses in sydney pm me as i have now studied and worked here for 4 years and have very unbiased and educated knowledge of the airport

The Other Half
26th Mar 2004, 08:00
Got a uni degree. BSc (Aviation)
Hasn't helped me get a job in G.A. In fact i've considered leaving it out of my C.V. in some cases due to the "perceived" prevailing attitude of some against the holder of one. The "numbers" and who you know are what count in a disproportionate way unfortunately.
Still I don't regret doing it. I'm proud of what i've achieved. I thoroughly recommend doing one, especially if airlines are your end game. Greatly satisfying. :ok:
One helpful point, it's good to be proud of having a degree or diploma, but In G.A. don't announce or say you have one, It'll work against you. This fact will come out in time and they'll be surprised and impressed you haven't promoted this fact.

Cheers everyone :cool:

MARZ
30th Mar 2004, 10:57
Interesting point the other half.
I'm thinking of starting an aerobatics endorsement once I finish my CPL. As it involves handling aeroplanes to the limit I think it would be attractive to an employer. Any ideas??
cheers- marz

The Other Half
31st Mar 2004, 10:34
Marz mate,
I'm no expert on employer hiring practices, if I were i'd be in an airline by now :E
If YOU feel that YOU should get it because YOU want to learn more about the skill of flying then go for it. :ok:
There are plenty of people that unfortunately go and get ratings that won't help them, this I think is potentially limited in it's ability to get you hired, but if you've got the money and YOU want to do it then yes.
Besides, I can't think of many jobs that would "require" or "desire" such a skill other than maybe stock mustering or professional aerobatics.
Personally I don't have one but have done some Aero's for my Instructor Rating, It's the best feeling :ok:
If I can give any advice (to anyone) then among other things it's to be a genuinely nice person that's sincere. Aviation and life will chew you up and spit you out if you have any other motive.
Cheers :ok:

Woomera
31st Mar 2004, 21:57
73's Redo? Woo hoo!! :ok: Now you'll be able to afford a side car for Junior!!! :}

18-Wheeler. I would think your dad learnt more about aviating flogging a DH84 Dragon around the Highlands of PNG fifty years ago, than he could ever learn from any University aviation degree!!