PDA

View Full Version : flying schools in australia

Chrishammersley
6th Mar 2004, 07:04
please could anyone help me!
i am extremely interested in becoming a pilot. the cost is the only bastard that is holding me back!! could anybody tell me if it is any cheaper to do my training over in oz? if so could anybody recomend any schools-preferably near Perth (sorry to be picky!!). thanks.
chris

Charlie Zulu
6th Mar 2004, 14:06
Hi Chris,

As far as costs in Australia are concerned I believe it is a little cheaper over there but flight training is EXPENSIVE no matter where you train. Expect at least £30,000 to £40,000 no matter where you train in the world.

As Australia isn't part of the JAA system and there aren't (as far as I am aware so I may be wrong) any JAA registered schools in Australia, I believe you'll be training towards Australia's own licence system which is most probably ICAO compliant.

This means when you come back to Britain you'll have an ICAO CPL/IR etc etc. This would allow you to work on Australian registered aeroplanes anywhere in the world BUT NOT British (G) registered aeroplanes and thus will not allow you to work for any airline etc.

In order to work for a British Airline or indeed a European airline you need a JAA specific licence (its the european version of the ICAO standards). To convert the Australian CPL/IR you'll need to do the following on RETURN to Britain (unless there is a JAA school in Australia):

1) Obtain your JAA Class 1 Medical.
2) Study for and pass ALL 14 ATPL Written Exams. You have to go through the approved residential or distance learning course. Expect around £2500 for this part.
3) Pass your JAA CPL Skills Test (some flight training required)
4) Pass the JAA IR Skills Test (15 Hour Course MINIMUM)

After that lot you'll have an Australian CPL/IR and a JAA CPL/IR and will be able to apply to the airlines in the UK/Europe.

Jandakot Airport seems to be the general aviation airport of Perth so I've done a search for flying schools there and have come up with the following.

http://www.airaustralia.net
http://www.racwa.asn.au/

I am sure there are many others but other people who have actually been to Australia may be able to advise you on those!

Whilst I was searching for flight schools in the Perth area I found the following article on one of the sites:

http://www.airaustralia.net/news.php?id=97

Probably not far from the true reality! ;)

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

redsnail
6th Mar 2004, 18:09
Have a look at Minovation in Perth too. The school is run by a Brit and she's very familiar with the costs of conversion.
You'll save some money especially in the hour building stages. You can get an IR on a PPL in Oz (just as you can here) and thus you can convert that IR to a JAR one using the 15 hour abbreviated syllabus. (Do check LASORS though!!)
Probably the cheapest way if you really want to go to Oz is to get a PPL and possibly IR there and do some hour building.
There's lots of Oz to fly around (trust me, I know!!) and the weather is generally good so you can get it done in a reasonable time.
PPL conversions aren't much drama.

Chrishammersley
7th Mar 2004, 07:01
thanks for all your help Charlie Zulu, i think ill just try and get a placement in the UK or Europe!