PDA

View Full Version : Legal Question Re ATPL's

chief wiggum
6th Mar 2004, 05:19
Question for all you "LEGAL EAGLES" out there.

A friend of mine, who had an ATPL based on Overseas conversion, attended a VB interview where they told him "Go and do your other three ATPL subjects, and we will give you a job.

He then rang CASA who said " yes you can sit them, but if you fail one, then we will take your ATPL off you.

QUESTION IS : Can CASA revoke a licence that has been LEGALLY issued, and is PERPETUALLY VALID, even if you STILL have the qualifications (ie overseas licence) to hold one?

QUESTION2 : Are VB(and others) leaving themselves open to legal action if they say "NO" to new applicants but currently have people employed who have the overseas conversion licence ? I know that you will turn around a say that " VB requires you have passed 7 ATPL exams as a minimum, but some in there probably haven't doen that either.

PS: I have no beef with VB etc, just interested.

(edited to remove transgender abnomalies)

Next Generation
6th Mar 2004, 06:15
A friend of mine, who had an ATPL based on Overseas conversion, attended a VB interview where they told him "Go and do your other three ATPL subjects, and we will give you a job. She then rang CASA

Could be some trans-gender issues here too.:D

Question 1 - I have no idea

Question 2 - No.

Now I have a question for you.

How did your friend even get to an interview without having the minimum requirements ??? VB clearly state on PilotStaffCV that you must have passed all Australian ATPL subjects to be eligible to apply.

Sheep Guts
6th Mar 2004, 10:49
I beleive thats true for the first question. But really if you failed and got your licence suspended, surely you could get it back with another conversion off you other foreign ATPLS?

VB and nearly every other Company in Oz requires the 7 subjects and reject all foreign ATPLS so really I think CASA SHOULD JUST CAN CONVERSION EXAMS AND JUST LET EVERYONE SIT THE WHOLE LOT. THATS WHAT THEY DO IN POMMIELAND AND EUROPE.
IT WOULD DEFINITELY BE MORE MONEY FOR CASA AND THEIR EXAM CONTRACTOR! :)

Sheep

redsnail
6th Mar 2004, 18:58
Sheepy,
Not strictly true for the UK. They still will issue a UK ATPL based on 2 exams (Air Law and Human Performance) if you have +1500 hours in command of +30 tonne aircraft etc... This licence is only valid for G-reg aircraft and cannot be converted to a JAR ATPL (in the UK any way).
I believe there are still validations around too but if you fail an exam to convert your licence then the validation is null and void.

Sheep Guts
6th Mar 2004, 21:16
hahahahahahahahaha

Redsnail if I had 1500 hrs command in a 30 tonne Jet why would I want to go to Pommieland to fly and freeze my @#$% off anyway. I could think of some nice warmer places that pay just aswell. :E

I was emphasing though that the CASA system at this stage has been underwritten by the Company requirements which make mockery of it. The conversion exam is worth 2 tenths of Zip.

Sheep