PDA

View Full Version : forty years !

Grainger
7th Aug 2001, 18:26
OK gang, so I'm reaching the Big 40 on Saturday.

I'm sure I won't feel any different - not even half way through yet, life in the old dog, no complaints so far etc. :cool:

But here's the dilemma: apart from the obvious - drink enormous quantities of beer - what should I be doing to celebrate ? :confused:

swashplate
7th Aug 2001, 18:43
drink enourmous quantities of cider, whisky, wine............................ :D :D

Velvet
7th Aug 2001, 20:36
Slasher went through this last year - he's never been the same since - he got laid though.

JPJ
7th Aug 2001, 22:14
Please let me know what it feels like.

Just so that I can work out what went so wrong in 1986!

It gets better later; I married for the second time in 1997, and that was the best day's work I ever did.

criticalmass
8th Aug 2001, 15:44
Grainger,

If your parents are still alive and you are able to, I suggest spend the day with them and have a quiet celebration of three lives, without two of which the third (yours) would not have been.

As for being forty, I seem to recall it didn't feel much different to being thirty, except that I was having more fun than I did when I was thirty.

FWIW I recently celebrated my 50th with my parents, a relaxing and pleasant way to commemorate my first half-century, not out, with two people who are not far short of four score years and still hale and hearty...and to whom I owe so much.

As I get older I appreciate them more and more. That seems to be the main thing I notice as I get older.

Grainger
8th Aug 2001, 16:01
cm:

Thanks for that - know exactly what you mean.

Sadly not possible :( but thanks to some good advice from a friend some time ago managed to make time to share some of those thoughts with them before they left us.

As for enjoying life - so far it is still getting better and better, so long may it continue !!

arrow2
9th Aug 2001, 15:41
Grainger - I am 2 days behind you - my 40th is on Monday!

Plans to take my aircraft away for the w/e have fallen away due to needed maintenance so rapid replanning....few drinks on Fri night, major meal with sister (twin) and friends on Sat and then meal with in-laws on Monday night.

Yep, life is good, busy and, whilst I am rushing around all the time, I feel more relaxed in myself than I did at 30!

Have a good one from a fellow '61 Leo!

A2

Grainger
9th Aug 2001, 17:15
A2;

Here's the deal: I'll have a coupla beers for you, and you have a coupla beers for me ...

After that we might get into a bit of a cycle ...

Have a good one ! :D

tony draper
9th Aug 2001, 17:20
Huh !, bloody young whippersnappers. ;)
happy birthday

Blacksheep
9th Aug 2001, 18:22
God I wish I was forty again!

Happy Birthday young man...

In the meantime I dread the day when I get old and I don't wake up in the morning with a "Morning Glory" As long as all the equipment still works that's all that matters really.

Through difficulties to the cinema

arrow2
9th Aug 2001, 21:18
Grainger - a couple of drinks to you and all fellow PPRuNers scheduled for 21.00 tomorrow night!

A2

Grainger
9th Aug 2001, 21:33
Great !

I'm off to the flicks with my good lady tomorrow but we should be out in time for a couple of beers.

21:00 it is. Cheers all :)

tony draper
9th Aug 2001, 22:02
I'm dreading the day I get old and don't wake up also. ;)

You want it when?
10th Aug 2001, 12:23
If Railtrack let me get home, I shall raise either a beer or a wine or a G&T (or prehaps all three :) ) at 21:00 tonight.

Good luck with the 40th - in airline speak I guess I'm turning base for the same landing - any chance of overshooting and going around to my 30th I wonder....

Grainger
10th Aug 2001, 22:29
Well, it's getting close to opening time...

To those of you who'll be joining me later, thanks in advance...

... and don't do anything I wouldn't do !

Cheers !

G :cool:

Eric
11th Aug 2001, 04:19
Happy Birthday Grainger & Arrow2!

I tried to join in your celebrations in chat but couldn't get in - what's it like to be popular!

arrow2
11th Aug 2001, 04:40
Thanks Eric - on behalf of Grainger and myself ta muchly. I am a part-timer as I got in from the pub 1 hour ago - but a drink or two was had to celebrate the momentous event that we are both experiencing lol

Happy b'day Grainger for tomorrow!

A2

Grainger
11th Aug 2001, 14:25
Thanks guys, and happy birthday to you too A2 for Monday - have a good one :cool: !;

Went with some friends last night for a monster curry - very hot ! Then at 21:00 we cracked open a bottle of 16-year old Lagavulin and toasted y'all and other absent friends.

Very pleased to report that the Morning Glory is still fully operational (thanks, Mrs G!).

So what have I learned after forty years ?

1. Enjoy life while you can
2. Spend time with friends and family
3. Don't take yourself too seriously

Here's to the next forty :D :D :D

[ 11 August 2001: Message edited by: Grainger ]

MisNomer
11th Aug 2001, 14:31
Happy Birhday lads!!

Welcome to the Club!!
;) :D :D