PDA

View Full Version : AIPA - SGM to change the future

blueloo
5th Mar 2004, 15:01
Whilst AIPA have had mixed reviews as to their success or lack of it as the case may be, what really is required is a change of leadership style. (Not to take away from those who do work hard at the union).

As posted on Qrewroom (by someone else), I believe we need an independant leader paid by us, the union members, who will act in our interests and not play to the whims of the company - and stand up for improving our conditions, not just trade them off. Nor will he/she have a guaranteed right of passage to the chief pilots office and pay check/bonus.

How do we bring about such a change?

Well maybe an SGM needs to be called with this as the subject/or enforceable resolution.

It only needs 25 members to call an SGM, and only a majority of those members to enforce the resolution.

Thoughts?

Sodoff
5th Mar 2004, 16:00
If only it could work.

Such a change would require a change to the AIPA rules. If you look at your rule book, you will see that our "founding fathers" sewed up any chance of the masses affecting rule changes by making the rule that only the committee can change the rules!

If you were at the last AGM you would have noticed that someone proposed a resolution that directed the committee to change the rules. That resolution was determined to be "out of order" by the president.

The only way to make a change like this is if you can convince the committee. Perhaps an SGM to direct the committee to investigate a rule change? Make it clear that the membership wants change and if it does not a vote of no confidence?

I agree with your sentiment, but I fear it will take much more than an SGM to make the changes we want.

Cheers

bonvol
5th Mar 2004, 20:05
Maybe it's worth a shot .

There are some good people in AIPA, a number around 11 springs to mind. Possibly that number can be increased if the pilots strongly make their view known at an SGM.

I wont hold my breath though.

Going Boeing
5th Mar 2004, 22:26
There's approx 2300 pilots in AIPA - if there is only eleven good guys out of that group then it's time for me to find another airline to work for.

proplever
6th Mar 2004, 02:55
With comments like that GB, yes it is time.

Capt Fathom
6th Mar 2004, 06:02
GB,
Why not take a look at Emirates (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=120924).
Conditions over there are improving all the time. :ugh:

Grivation
6th Mar 2004, 11:06
What I find amazing is that you guys choose to debate the subject on the Qrewroom forum - in full view of management :confused:

Why not ask Danny for a QF airline specific forum like the emirates, southwest guys have and debate it there.

It's currently like lambs to the slaughter :uhoh:

aresti
6th Mar 2004, 16:02
Hey bonvol, who are the 11 ? I'd like to vote informed next time around. Out with the soft c@cks and in with the good !!

bonvol
6th Mar 2004, 16:16
Aresti, I have all the names but I doubt if I put them up here I will last too long.

They are pretty well common knowledge though so just ask around when next at the bar.

These were the people who voted against the Jetstar "deal" for those wondering what is going on.

PM is fine, but not in here please.

W

aresti
6th Mar 2004, 17:49
How about a PM of their initials and I'll work it out from there ? The bar has gone quiet, must be the 'not so veiled' threats !

bonvol
7th Mar 2004, 05:06
On it's way.

blueloo
7th Mar 2004, 14:07
Can you PM me a list of names too.

bonvol
7th Mar 2004, 15:12
The following Letter to the Editor has been sent to the Sydney Morning Herald in response to Alan Kohler's article “How Dixon gave his rainy-day impulse wings” (SMH, Thursday 26 February, page 1).

I am disappointed by Alan Kohler’s article, which misrepresented Qantas pilots’ current working conditions and the negotiations proceeding in relation to Jetstar positions.

The suggestion that Qantas pilots were “baulking” at allowing Impulse pilots reciprocal rights to positions at Qantas (in return for Jetstar positions) is incorrect. Though the full details of negotiations cannot be released for reasons of commercial-in-confidence, I speak on behalf of AIPA, which represents Qantas pilots, when I say that we are not opposed to such an arrangement. This issue is no “sticking point” as Mr Kohler suggested.

The remuneration of Qantas and Impulse pilots was also inaccurately represented. The salary figure quoted for a Jetstar A320 Captain was incorrect, as was the salary quoted for a Qantas Captain on the Boeing 738.

Kohler also stated that Qantas CEO Geoff Dixon believes he can get more flying time (up to 1000 hours a year) from his Jetstar pilots than he can get from his Qantas pilots. Qantas pilots can and do already fly 1000 hours per year, operating to an approved exemption to flight-time limitations.

Pilots in Qantas and Impulse (Jetstar) are equally eager to see the new start-up airline thrive. A successful Jetstar means a stronger Qantas Group.

Comments such as “a bloodless Pilots’ Strike Mark II” are unnecessary. The truth is far less dramatic – Qantas and Impulse pilots are happy to be on the same winning team.

Yours sincerely,

Robin Holt, President

Australian and International Pilots Association (AIPA)

slim
9th Mar 2004, 05:41
Blueloo or Bonvol, would appreciate those names too. Thks.

BUNYA
10th Mar 2004, 16:14
What Have The Romans Ever Done For Us?

Reg: They've bled us white, the bastards. They've taken everything we had, not just from us, from our fathers and from our fathers' fathers.

Stan: And from our fathers' fathers' fathers.

Reg: Yes.

Stan: And from our fathers' fathers' fathers' fathers.

Reg: All right, Stan. Don't labour the point. And what have they ever given us in return? (he pauses smugly)

Xerxes: The aqueduct?

Reg: What?

Xerxes: The aqueduct.

Reg: Oh yeah, yeah they gave us that. Yeah. That's true.

Masked Commando: And the sanitation!

Stan: Oh yes ... sanitation, Reg, you remember what the city used to be like.

Reg: All right, I'll grant you that the aqueduct and the sanitation are two things that the Romans have done ...

Matthias: And the roads ...

Reg: (sharply) Well yes obviously the roads ... the roads go without saying. But apart from the aqueduct, the sanitation and the roads ...

Another Masked Commando: Irrigation ...

Other Masked Voices: Medicine ... Education ... Health

Reg: Yes ... all right, fair enough ...

Commando Nearer The Front: And the wine ...

General Audience: Oh yes! True!

Francis: Yeah. That's something we'd really miss if the Romans left, Reg.

Masked Commando At Back: Public baths!

Stan: And it's safe to walk in the streets at night now.

Francis: Yes, they certainly know how to keep order ... (general nodding) ... let's face it, they're the only ones who could in a place like this. (more general murmurs of agreement)

Reg: All right ... all right ... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order ... what have the Romans done for us?

Xerxes: Brought peace!

Reg: (very angry, he's not having a good meeting at all) What!? Oh ... (scornfully) Peace, yes ... shut up!

[From MontyPython's LifeOfBrian]