PDA

View Full Version : Taag ????

ColeFace
5th Mar 2004, 10:37
Turns out I have a flight on TAAG from Johannesburg to Luanda later this month.

I checked their web sight but was wondering if anyone has information on this carrier and the equipment used on this leg.

Any information appreciated.

Cheers

Gunship
5th Mar 2004, 15:47
Varig is starting 3 weekly flights to Jo'burg from April with 777's, later switching to MD-11's, via Luanda.

Me thinks ..... if I read correctly somewhere.:}

Captain Magic
5th Mar 2004, 21:26
A few years back they were using 747 200. Not tosure now though.

cm

Jelly Doughnut
5th Mar 2004, 21:34
Saw them in JNB last month, either 747-200 or 300.

Coleface who is sending you to Luanda?

Lucky you ;)

ColeFace
5th Mar 2004, 23:09
Well if its Boeing equipment then no worries, had visions of 40 year old East Bloc turboprops.

Jelly donut is there something specific about Luanda??
Have they pepper soup there?

I worked in Lagos for a year and enjoyed it, one of the reasons I'm going back to W. Africa, and the $ of course.

Little One
6th Mar 2004, 21:21
Angola fly B747-300 mostly out of JNB
D2TEA and D2TEB
The crew seem ok from an ATC point of view not realy that different from other african airline crew, However sometimes they bly a B737-200 and that crew is totally disasterous. But they havn't flown for a long time that I know of.
The umbo's I think are maintained by SAA cause they seem to get towed to the SAA Technical area about once a month or so for the day. But thy could also be going there for a wash only.

Jelly Doughnut
6th Mar 2004, 22:07
Hi Coleface

If you enjoyed Lagos then you will certainly enjoy Luanda...

:ok:

tyrant
7th Mar 2004, 02:54
Not forgetting of course the/a B732 of TAAG was involved in that midair with C404 V5WAA near Windhoek last year. After nearly completely severing the vertical stabilizer of the 404, continued on to Luanda without returning to Windhoek to inspect the Aircraft.

Better you than me Coleface

Jelly Doughnut
7th Mar 2004, 04:11
Not only did the B732 carry on its flight after the midair, it stopped at Lubango to pick up more pax before continuing to Luanda! The 404 pilot made a miraculous escape..

"Luanda Luanda..." :mad:

At least the beer is cold at Bahia and Palos!

enjoy ;)

Herc Jerk
7th Mar 2004, 07:49
TAAG 747 JNB-LAD and is maintained at SAA. Plenty of trips there and no real probs. 737s different story... had the dubious pleasure of pax'ing on them once- i recommend heavy duty rosary beads. Adding to the story above- when in Lubango they saw that part of the wing tip was missing and even STILL continued on to LAD...

Do you ever wonder why the pax cabin normally erupts in applause after touchdown on these airlines..?

Reckon they know something we don't?

7th Mar 2004, 22:04
TAAG comander on inspecting the aircraft in Lubango:
"Eeish, baat boing builts strrong ecrafts"

C404 pilot after landing at Eros:
"Somebody goet me new under-jocks!! Quick!"

Peronally find the jumbo crews good. Here them in Europe from time to time and no probs there. The fluffy crews are special, but the guys flying the twin caravans are the best:}

ColeFace
8th Mar 2004, 10:54
Thanks for the info fellas, guess I'll hope for a jumbo doing the
leg when I show up.

Till get there and get a back on PPRune

Cheers Coleface

ColeFace
15th Mar 2004, 18:57
Have arrived Luanda safely with only one day delay and layover in the Holliday Inn Jogurg courtsey TAAG. The 47 went US but we made it the next day.

Actually the trip from airport to hotel was a good "welcome to Africa" experience.

So far Luanda is better than Lagos, even have a high speed connection in company flat.

Can't believe the number of aircraft around the airport, lots of Russian stuff, flying too.

cheers

tyrant
16th Mar 2004, 18:40
Praise the **** you're alive :) enjoy the stay,

cheers

Jelly Doughnut
16th Mar 2004, 19:38
Coleface

Top tip for the weekend, find the beach at Cabo Ledo, about 2 hours drive south of Luanda. You need a 4x4. There is a great restaurant by the fishing village. Fresh lobster, beers, overnight accommodation (tent) and breakfast set us back all of ....... $30 :ok:

Who do you fly for? Watch out for our Russian "Tango" collegues - they love to lie about their distance in order to get cleared to a lower level....

Enjoy and fly safe ;)

Islander Jock
18th Mar 2004, 11:04
Cole Face,
Bom Dia and welcome to Luanda.

Some other places woth checking:
Masulu, Miami, Barra do Dande. A couple of good restaraunts along the Marginale and Iilya (spelling?)

Also, there is a new South African supermarket which has just moved into the old Supermercado a short distance from Intermarket. Thank god I can finally buy some decent tucker in this place.

pm me if you'd like to get in touch. Perhaps we can organise the first ANGOLAN PPRUNE Bash!