PDA

View Full Version : Best AMD mobo - or can I rescue a GA7-VAX?

scroggs
5th Mar 2004, 04:35
Hi guys. You're lucky - you missed having to read a looonnggg post about my sh1tty day with two computers going 'phut'. That post is lost in the ether somewhere.....

Anyway, to the point: I have today tried and failed to update the bios on my Gigabyte GA7-VAX mobo. The computer will now not boot up - it starts the fans, the HDD starts to run then everything stops. I guess the flash update files were corrupted or something. Yes, know it's a dual-bios mobo; like a fool, when it didn't work properly on the main bios I tried to update the backup. Well, I've got a stinking cold and I'm not thinking straight, so that's my excuse. I've tried to null the CMOS by removing the battery (power removed) and shorting the battery contacts, but no difference - there're no CMOS jumpers on this board.

So... any ideas? Looks to me like the mobo is toast, unless you guys know better? If it is, what's the best value for money AMD mobo to run an Athlon XP3000+ and 768mb of PC2700 RAM with a Radeon 9600XT 128mb graphics card? I'm not into overclocking or any of that nonsense, and I don't want a micro-ATX board (like the K7VM4 that turned up DOA today for another project
:{ ).

goates
5th Mar 2004, 06:15
I don't know one way or the other about reviving the motherboard (I bet Richard does though... ;) ), but I am quite happy with my Abit NF7-S. It has a Athlon XP 2800 Barton processor, 1 GB RAM, a Radeon 9800 Pro and runs great.

goates

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Mar 2004, 12:22
scroggs,

You can go to Bad Flash (http://www.badflash.com) and have them send you a new EPROM with your BIOS on it. You could also contact Gigabyte and see if they will send you one.

There is one other way. If you have an identical Motherboard, you can boot it up into the BIOS, then pull the good chip out and put your yours with the bad flash in its place, hit Exit and Save that will write the BIOS to your chip.

Personally I would get away from VIA and get an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe. The ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe is an excellent motherboard with:

SATA RAID
Dolby Digital SoundStorm
USB 2.0
Firewire
Dual Gigabit LAN
WiFi@Home

Take Care,

Richard

scroggs
5th Mar 2004, 18:14
Thanks Richard. I've contacted Bad Flash and Gigabyte and I'll see what they have to say. Gigabyte has a bad rep for getting back to you, though! Also, as the dual BIOS chips are permanently installed on the mobo, I may be out of luck. The ASUS board looks good at £70 in UK, I may well try it...

I also had an Asrock K7VM4 mobo turn up DoA yesterday (for my Dad's e-mail-only 'puter). Have I upset someone or something?!

cheers

Scroggs

scroggs
5th Mar 2004, 22:10
Jeez, it never rains.... Turns out the Asrock is fine, but the XP2000+ CPU I was transferring from the GA-7VAX to the Asrock has been fried by the BIOS screw-up.

Still, I've ordered the Asus board - now got to get another CPU for my Dad's computer!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Mar 2004, 05:58
scroggs,

Sounds like it is time to make an offering to the Computer Gods! You might need to sacrifice your old VIA mobo on the Alter, so you get better computer luck.

Do enjoy the nForce2 Motherboard. (If you have a home theater system you can wire the computer into it and have Dolby Digital over your home theater too.) ;)

Just watch out for Mrs. Scroggs, she might not approve. :eek:

Take Care,

Richard

scroggs
8th Mar 2004, 07:24
Richard, there've been two Mrs Scroggs. No longer, so noise is not a problem (well, the people next door may object...!). I already have a Soundblaster Live 5.1 Platinum Plus card, and have enjoyed DTS and DD for some time in the computer room - and I have a mega 7.1 system in my living room (the joys of wifeless living!).

The guys from Bad Flash were very helpful, and even found a way of possibly ressurrecting the soldered-in BIOS's, but the cost wasn't worth it. You're not the only one to have recommended this ASUS board to me, so obviously fate was going that way. Shame it's cost me an extra XP2200+ as well for my Dad's computer (which works a treat - total cost about 150 quid!).

Cheers

Naples Air Center, Inc.
8th Mar 2004, 07:31
scroggs,

Wait till you hear the nVidia SoundStorm on the mega 7.1 system. ;)

Enjoy the new Mobo,

Richard