PDA

View Full Version : Air Sickness

pa28biggles
4th Mar 2004, 23:16
Maybe a stupid thread, but I'll only find out by asking.
I had a check out on Saturday, since I had not been flying for about 4 months. After 1hrs flying (PFLs, stalls, circuits), I walked awaying thinking that if I had been up there for another minute, I would have been reaching for the sickbag. :yuk: Also, whilst my instructor was freezing with a thick jumper on, I only had on a thin t-shirt because I got too warm.
Normally, I don't suffer from air sickness, though even on cold days I can get too warm. In summer in the C152 I normally fly with the window open.
Am I the only person that wants to be a commercial pilot that suffers in such a way? If I flew every day as an FI in a C152, would I get used to it?
Thank you :)
PA28.

Stoney X
4th Mar 2004, 23:54
pa28, I'm the same. Always getting hot while others are complaining it's cold. I would be interested to hear other's thoughts on this but I reckon you and I are warm blooded and the others are, urm, reptiles? :E

Regards
Stoney X

hoofhearted
5th Mar 2004, 01:04
Lots of pilots have suffered from motion sickness at the start of their career, my-self included!
I have found over time that I build up a tolerance and can fly quite normally. I even enjoy aerobatics and gliding. How-ever, I still prefer not to sail on any-thing smaller than the QE2, and I avoid hovercraft and sea-cats like the plague!!
BTW I now fly long-haul.:ok:

redsnail
5th Mar 2004, 04:07
Oh yeah, chucked up like a champion during my training. Once on a PPL nav, hot bouncy day, high work load. Up came lunch. Missed the map I might add :ok: When I first did stalls I got green but kept breaky where it does me the most good.
During spin training for my instructor rating I wasn't the best either. Rotten instructor laughed at me. I later found out he was 1 spin away from joining me. :p
Things settled down for ages. Then, I hadn't been flying for a long time. Hot day (Kimberley, WA) and lots of thermals. I was paxing to get a feel for the area. Up came lunch again.
After that, I haven't been crook since.
I am a lousy pax in a bugsmasher though, need to have lots of airflow around me.
4500 hours later in mainly smallish (ie less than 36 seats) I haven't been crook again. (That wasn't self inflicted)

It does pass. Keep as cool as possible, lots of fresh air, no tight clothing, nothing too "interesting" to eat. Don't be hungover!! Avoid rich foods and foods high in acid content. Also, be as prepared as possible so you aren't nervous or worried about your flight.

Regarding temperature, to keep your instructor happy and to keep in thinking with CPL ops, ask your instructor if he/she's hot or cold. It'll show that you're thinking of the pax and not just yourself.

pa28biggles
5th Mar 2004, 17:10
Thanks for the replies! This had made me feel a whole lot better. I agree Stoney X! :E

hoofhearted,
I still prefer not to sail on any-thing smaller than the QE2, and I avoid hovercraft and sea-cats like the plague!!
I am the same. I went on a catamaran in Tenerife a couple of years ago to see the dolphins, and even though I didn't through up, I nearly did, and went white! Oh, and we didn't really get a good view of the Dolphins. :sad:

redsnail,
Good advice.
Oh yeah, chucked up like a champion during my training. Once on a PPL nav, hot bouncy day, high work load. Up came lunch.
On my first ever PPL training flight, I was sick into my mouth. The problem was my instructor did not have a sick bag, so the bit that didn't leak out of my mouth I had to swallow!

I am a lousy pax in a bugsmasher though, need to have lots of airflow around me.
Me too. Like I said, in the 152 I have to keep the window open in summer! I find the circulation in the 152 isn't very good, whereas the PA28 has more ram air vents.

Regarding temperature, to keep your instructor happy and to keep in thinking with CPL ops, ask your instructor if he/she's hot or cold. It'll show that you're thinking of the pax and not just yourself.
Certainly. :ok: Infact, it was when I asked my instructor, he told me he that he felt cold. So I told him to put the fire on. He did, and that triggered me getting too warm... He did turn it off for me, but I felt a little rough by that stage.

Again thank you all for your advice, I really appreciate it!:ok:
I really thought that no other wannanbe got it half as bad as me.:)
PA28.

Master Yoda
5th Mar 2004, 22:52
Has anyone ever had the runs whilst up there, what the hell do u do if last nights dinner decides to make a rear exit URGENTLY. Or even busting 4a leak? :\

redsnail
6th Mar 2004, 02:20
Ooooh yeah, there's been a few times when the full bladder light was glowing red!!
Only really happened on the Coastwatch flights if I drank my can of Coke too early in the flight. (ave sortie lengths 4-6 hours, Islander, no toilet). A quick divert to the nearest aerodrome would be the order of the day. (there's a funny story with one of those diverts too)
A colleague has had a pax with the runs. Pointed and squirted into a sick bag in front of the other punters. (scenic flight in a Partenavia). Didn't spill a drop. (note, sick bag we used were foil lined chicken bags)
Always went to the loo prior to flight. Still do. A 30 min flight can so easily turn into a 2 hour number!!