PDA

View Full Version : Chances of Getting a Job

MMEMatty
4th Mar 2004, 03:23
Hi All

I'm looking for something to do whils im off Uni for the summer, preferably aviation related, so i came up with the idea of being a baggage handler for a while, to earn a little money and stop me getting cabin fever over the summer.

However, i was wondering what the actual chances of me getting something like this are? as i said im only looking for employment for about 4 months, with maybe 1 or 2 weeks holidays thrown in (could be asking too much i know) at Teesside (i.e. close to home, i think Servisair have the contract at MME)
Wages arn't too much of an issue, id be willing to work for minimum wage, or a bit below what everyone else is getting, the main priority that i get paid something reasonable for my time, i.e. a bit more than what id get for flipping burgers at McDonalds, but not any silly amounts of money.

Is it worth applying? or will i just get a big NO? or is it not possible to get work at short notice, or for this length of time?

Opinions, advice would be appreciated

Matty

(thanks in advance)

Who'stheDaddy
4th Mar 2004, 04:20
MMEmatty,

I did baggagehandling whilst at uni for 3 summers in LHR 95 onwards. Shouldn't be a problem as handling agents look for this sort of seasonal workers.

Airport Authorities are obviously very strict on airside passes - Get a disclosure CRC (www.disclosure.co.uk) and get your work references sorted and anything that will cover you for the last 5 yrs ie contact name/address for a ref. at uni/school. If you go on the servisair website and email their admin dept they will give you the address for who to contact at MME but you may have more chance at busier airports.

Good luck

WTD

Silkman
4th Mar 2004, 06:09
MMEMatty

The Airport Authority do all the baggage handling at Teesside. Contact the H.R. dept. via the airport switchboard. Both Aviance and Servisair are taking on Customer Service staff for the summer for check in. Aviance are recruiting now for the bmi baby contract and Servisair will be shortly for Spanair.

Hope this helps.

boeingbus2002
4th Mar 2004, 06:19
Like Silkman, I too did some summer work at LHR.
Things now will be much stricter regarding security issues, however if you sort it all now, there shouldnt be any reason to stop you.
Have your references sorted. 5 years COMPLETE history. Also they need proper dates, (03 March 2004 as opposed to March 2004),
Any gaps longer than seven days need ot be veriefied by a personal reference.
The disclosure thing is new and can take a while too. (Just a criminal record check i believe)

If that fails, why not try at a local flying club as ops or airline crewing/ops which may not be based "airside".

Good luck