PDA

View Full Version : Alexander Technique

ratsarrse
3rd Mar 2004, 23:01
Having witnessed the weeks of agony that my Dad has gone through on several occasions with his knackered back, my thoughts have turned to trying to avoid getting into the same situation myself. After about an hour of walking I tend to suffer not insignificant lower back pain (not to mention my dodgy knees) and find that I generally have a low level of pain the rest of the time. Hard to judge these things as I seem to have a pretty high pain threshold - I managed to quite happily ignore appendicitis for a couple of days before paying a visit to the slicers and dicers at my local hospital.

So, I'm interested in trying the Alexander Technique, but I don't know too much about it. Some googling has only produced superficial results so far. I'm looking for some opinions as to how worthwhile it is: both from professionals and from those who have had personal experience.

Thanks in advance.

Evo
4th Mar 2004, 01:17
Very popular amongst musicians apparently. I've never tried it myself, but my wife (a cello player) says it is excellent.

Loose rivets
4th Mar 2004, 12:24
Without really answering your question right away, I will make the comment that it is wise to find out what is wrong before launching into various back remedies. If there is pain or any other sensation in either leg, foot inc. toes...coinciding with your post walk symptoms...treat this seriously.

It may be that you would be greatly improved by a good chiropractor, but unless you know what is wrong, the manipulations may only serve to exacerbate the problem.

If you can get an MRI scan do so, but your GP may not want to burden the health service until you are in greater need...that's a shame, because early awareness of a problem is a great benefit to maintaining a normal life. The problem for spinal surgeons is that even with a good MRI, unless there is a very clear fault, things like bulging discs - worsening after long walks - are so common, (and often cause no symptoms whatsoever), that they almost certainly will not want to draw any firm conclusions from this alone; leaving you no further forward.

It sounds as though you are going down the right route. Back and tummy tone is vital, and a middle of the road approach is at least safe. It is my unqualified opinion, that prior to exercises that will cause a reduction in the space between the rear edges of the lumbar-vertebra .( "The Cobra" in Yoga), it is wise to stretch the lower back by some means. This varies in relation to your overall fitness, but can range from an inversion table, to hanging through a loop from a handy branch, through to the use of improvised or real crutches.

The attachment of the discs to the vertebra is very strong, but the periphery of the disc is not exactly bullet proof. If you can make any reduction in the bulge before crunching it, you are going to be way ahead of someone launching into the exercise without much planning.

Good luck

gingernut
4th Mar 2004, 16:34
Ratsbuttocks, definitely a case of prevention is better than cure !

Try and get hold of your firm's "lifting and handling" policy, it's usually tucked away on a dusty shelf. It will contain load's of advice about correct lifting, posture etc.

Backs usually start giving you problems after years of abuse.....some other tips, keep your weight down, and strengthen the ligaments around the spine....swimmers, apparently, rarely get back pain.

AerBabe
4th Mar 2004, 16:54
I spent several months learning Alexander Technique after back surgery and found it very very helpful.
Basically it teaches you to hold your body in a way which puts least strain on your muscles. If you watch children play, they seem to have endless energy - partly because they are too young to have learned bad habits. AT will teach you what you want it to. Some people use it for general help, others for more specific problems. I learned how to walk again, and also how to sit and stand. Later, I went back to the same teacher to solve a problem with my hand when I was playing flute.
I would recommend you find a local teacher & have a chat with them. Tell them what your problems are and they should, if they are genuine, give you advice without asking for fat cheques. Be prepared for some work though - depending on what you need, it can take a while to learn.
Good luck!

LondonPaul
6th Mar 2004, 00:37
I found the best investment I made in relation to my back was a Tempur mattress. Although I had an expensive bed before it was still causing me back problems, etc. Made a huge difference.

Cost about £2500 but a small amount for the place you should spend a third of your life in!