PDA

View Full Version : A/ C Gen, AGK, ASP Problems

Jinkster
3rd Mar 2004, 20:35
Dear All,

Just a very quick query to see if I can resolve a conflict of information I have for a couple of Air Gen q's?

1) During flight , the wing anti-ice is used to protect the:

a) Wing leading edges only
b) Wing leadings edges, slats and leading edge flaps.

2) The advantages of grounding the negative pole of the aircraft structure are:

1. Weight Saving
2. Easy fault detection
3. Increase of short circuit risk
4. Reduction of short circuit risk
5. Circuits are not single- wired lined

The answer given is

a) 1, 2 ,4
b) 1, 3 ,5<-- answer i think
c) 2, 3 ,5
d) 1, 2, 3 <-----answer I have

Many thanks in advance

:ok:

moo
4th Mar 2004, 00:51
the answer to question 1 is (a)

tomcs
4th Mar 2004, 05:28
Hi...erm i seem to remember the feedback was a little vague for these two questions. The answer to the first question is that i read somewhere that it could be type specific but the examiner wants A.

However for the second question the answer is also A....1 and 2 are definitely right....3 however is rubbish and how can that be an advantage!!! Which cuts out B C and D. 4 is definitely an advantage and 5 is a sort of non-entity....niether disad or ad.

hope this helps

Tom

fly-dj
4th Mar 2004, 05:47
Are you sure??
I think the answer to the first question is b). Anti Ice systems protect leading edges of airfoil sections AND any leading edge high lift devices. This would include slats and leading edge flaps.

However the answer to question two must be a), for the reasons given by tomcs. Options 3 & 5 are indeed total tosh.

Jinkster
4th Mar 2004, 05:52
oh...here we go again!!!

tomcs
4th Mar 2004, 06:19
Yup....but as i said...its type specific....a dash 8 for example doesn't have leading slats or flaps...yet it has leading edge pneumatic deice. I think the question is alluding to the idea of deice in the cruise where the wing is clean and the leading edge is flush....and is just that....a leading edge.

tom

fly-dj
4th Mar 2004, 14:57
I take your point. But I think thats putting more thought into the question than needs be. This could be a perfect case of JARish making life more complicated than intended. Maybe the question should have said "leading edge flaps and slats IF FITTED".

I would agree that during cruse the slats and leading edge flaps IF FITTED are retracted. In this position however they become the leading edge and therefore must be heated by the anti-ice system, hot air is ducted down them whatever position it's in and whatever the stage of flight and therefore leading edge flaps and slats are anti iced.

Could of course be wrong ????
In JAR land who knows ????

ROB-x38
4th Mar 2004, 16:31
I would chose A and A.

1. Never heard of "slat anti-ice" or "LE flap anti-ice"

2. 1 - advantage - no return loop
2 - advantage
3 - not an advantage therefore NO
4 - advantage
5 - neither here nor there

Given that you can safely rule out 3 & 5 - process of elimination -> A

Jinkster
4th Mar 2004, 17:43
The advantages of grounding negative pole of the a/c structure are:

the school in Cranfield not mentioning anynames say: weight saving, easy fault detection, reduction of short circuit risk

The big groundschool school in the SW of the UK say: weight saving, easy fault detection, increase of short circuit risk

The other qu - wing anti ice systems used to protect the?

The big school in cranfield say: leading edges, slats, leading edge flaps

the school in the SW of the UK say, leading edges only

Does anyone know who the Oxford teacher of ASP, Air gen is? Is he a pprune surfer :cool: ?

Just had a reply:

1)During flight , the wing anti-ice is used to protect

the:

a) Wing leading edges only

b) Wing leadings edges, slats and leading edge flaps.

ANSWER: Anti icing is used on leading edges and leading edge slats but NOT leading edge flaps

2) The advantages of grounding the negative pole of the aircraft structure are:

1. Weight Saving

2. Easy fault detection

3. Increase of short circuit risk

4. Reduction of short circuit risk

5. Circuits are not single- wired lined

The answer given is

a) 1, 2 ,4

b) 1, 3 ,5

c) 2, 3 ,5

d) 1, 2, 3

ANSWER: 1 2 3 is correct answer although you could argue that an increase in short circuit risk is not an advantage but it is a characteristic of that type of system

Good to clear it up ;) Thanks Ox

Jinkster