PDA

View Full Version : Trans Tasman Question.

High Altitude
3rd Mar 2004, 14:00
The trans tasman agreement allows for a fair bit.

Kiwi ZK rego flying in Oz.
Oz pilot to get NZ lic for $10 with Oz medical.
Kiwi pilot to get Oz lic.

Fella has Kiwi CPL & Oz CPL, has Kiwi CPL medical.

CASA then tell him that can't fly on Oz CPL without now doing fresh OZ CPL medical???

Does that sound correct?

HA.

p.s. Yes I am softening employing Kiwi's....................

Aileron Roll
3rd Mar 2004, 14:45
After Lord of the Rings good idea !

...think I saw something on the Trans tasman agreement website, that said medical was ok (from the other side of the tasman) and that CAA will even issue a letter saying so !

troppo
3rd Mar 2004, 15:27
try this...
ttmra (http://www.casa.gov.au/avreg/fcl_lic/download/ttmra.PDF)
pg 6

Medical Certificate
A current medical certificate is not required when applying for an Australian licence under the
TTMRA, as it is not a prerequisite for licence issue. However, applicants will need to obtain an
Australian class 1 medical certificate before they may exercise the privileges of the licence.

However...
DAME newsletter (http://www.casa.gov.au/avreg/avmed/newsletters/01oct.htm#ttmra)

Thus CASA may allow the New Zealand TTMRA applicant to use his or her
New Zealand civil aviation medical certificate to validate a class 1 licence issued under the terms of the TTMRA until the NZ medical certificate expires (instead of issuing an Australian medical certificate).

may be my interpretation of the rule but does this suggest that the kiwi one is ok until first renewal? I guess the 'casa may allow' are the key words...

Peter Brock
3rd Mar 2004, 15:47
Totally inappropriate!

nzer
5th Mar 2004, 10:47
As a Kiwi who has gone thru the TMRA process and now hold an Aust ATPL, my understanding is I can exercise my Aussie liocence outside aust on my NZCAA Medical, but to so so within Australia (commercially) I need an Aust Medical - the upside is there a few guys around (Dr's) who can do the two medicals @ the same time.