PDA

View Full Version : (Mobile) Dial Up ISP in US?

Oggin Aviator
3rd Mar 2004, 11:33
Hi

Presently using my cable connection at home for web access.

Am shortly off on business and need a cheap(ish) dial up account that will provide, via my laptop, local access (ie from hotel room) numbers in the US, particularly CA, AZ and NV. I keep getting lost on the web, there are so many, can anyone recommend one that would fit the bill?

cheers

Oggin

Naples Air Center, Inc.
3rd Mar 2004, 12:28
Oggin Aviator,

Just about the best Dialup account you are going to find in the U.S. is Earthlink. If you want free, try NetZero.

For $22.00 a month, Earthlink is the way to go.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Check the hotels you will be staying at, they might already have internet access for their guests.

Oggin Aviator
3rd Mar 2004, 14:56
Thanks Richard.

You can get standard dialup for $x and normally "high speed dialup" for $x+5. Does this high speed dial up really work over a normal phone line? I am sceptical about paying the extra, unless it is really worth it.

Oggin

Naples Air Center, Inc.
4th Mar 2004, 02:11
Oggin Aviator,

You cannot use High Speed and Dialup in the same sentence no matter what the marketing people tell you. :rolleyes:

The only way you have High Speed is with Cable, DSL, T1, T3, etc. but not with dialup. ;)

With the standard Earthlink service you will be very happy. (Most hotels do not have very good phone lines to begin with, so you will not get very good connections anyway.)

Take Care,

Richard

Keef
7th Mar 2004, 20:49
I was recommended to use Ipass - no fixed charge, and you pay per second. Access points all over the globe. There are two price scales, an "800" one, and a "normal dial-up" one.

They ask for $100 upfront, but will refund any balance when/if you cancel. For regular travellers going to all sorts of places, it's ideal.

I'm hoping that my laptop, cellphone, and GPRS will work in CA, NV, AZ and CO. If it doesn't, it'll be back to SMS while I'm there (I know that works!)