PDA

View Full Version : Spring hits house

DJ737
3rd Mar 2004, 07:23
From the Townsville Bulletin
Reporter Tony Raggatt

VIRGIN Blue has confirmed a spring from the landing gear of a Boeing 737-700 aircraft fell on to a Townsville home, leaving a "ding" in the roof.

The incident only came to light yesterday when a document was handed to the Townsville Bulletin.
The incident, which occurred on January 13, was reported to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau which investigated and, after speaking with Virgin Blue, took no further action.

Virgin Blue spokesman David Huttner said yesterday the airline was not happy the incident occurred although it had not affected the safety of the aircraft.

"Anything on an aircraft coming loose, it does create a risk for people on the ground," he said. "There was no aviation risk but that does not mean we don't take the matter seriously."

According to an Australian Transport Safety Bureau incident report, an air traffic controller had advised the crew of the aircraft that a resident living underneath the flight path to runway one found a 15cm spring that was believed to have fallen from the aircraft.

It says an inspection by the pilot found a missing left main landing gear uplock spring.

Bureau spokesman Peter Saint said the bureau spoke to the operator and while it considered the issue serious, it did not commit to sending an officer to Townsville to take the matter further.

"If there were systematic occurrences then, of course, it would be different," he said.

Mr Huttner said Virgin Blue had recovered the spring from the resident and made arrangements to replace a metal roof panel.

"There was a ding in one of the sheet metal panels," he said.

Mr Huttner said the spring, which weighed between 100g and 150g, was one of two uplock springs in the wheel assembly that manufacturer Boeing had warned in December were known to come loose.

While it was the only instance of a spring coming loose from a Virgin Blue aircraft, Boeing had warned there had been a number of cases overseas in which springs had come loose, he said.

"We were not happy about it and we put in orders (to Boeing) right away (for replacement parts)," Mr Huttner said.

He was unsure last night whether Boeing had provided replacement parts.

DJ737

The Roo Rooter :E :ok:

Capt Claret
3rd Mar 2004, 07:48
I'm surprised that any object with a mass of 100-150kg and travelling at quite some velocity, only left a "ding in one of the sheet metal panels".

Surely at > 100 kg it would go right through? :confused:

DDG
3rd Mar 2004, 07:52
Missing uplock springs are common,thats why there is MEL 32-19 to cover the missing springs located in the Dispatch Deviation Guide for the B737-700/800.
Regards DDG.

Animalclub
3rd Mar 2004, 07:53
Captain C

It states "g" not "Kg"... but still not light.

Capt Claret
3rd Mar 2004, 08:31
DOH

I thought >100 kg seemed heavy for a spring. Should have listened to the warning bell in my head. :ooh:

Thanks Animal Club :\

Soulman
3rd Mar 2004, 11:24
Spring from Virgin plane hits house
By Lloyd Jones
March 3, 2004

A SPRING from the landing gear of a Virgin Blue Boeing 737-700 fell on to a Townsville house, leaving a dent in the roof, the airline confirmed today.
The 15cm spring weighing between 100 and 150 grams came loose as the aircraft was coming in to land on January 13, airline spokesman David Huttner said.

He said Boeing issued an advisory about the springs in December and Virgin Blue had immediately ordered the modified parts but had yet to receive enough to attach to all of its 737-700s.

"It is a safety issue if a part comes off but it doesn't affect the operational integrity of the aircraft, there are a pair of springs on each set of landing gear," Mr Huttner said.

"The chances are very small of this occurring frequently but at the same time we don't want this to occur at all and therefore we've been pushing Boeing to get the parts out here as quickly as possible.

"Every single one we've received from Boeing we've immediately placed on aircraft."

Australian Transport Safety Bureau spokesman Peter Saint said the bureau had investigated the incident and Virgin Blue had taken steps to prevent any recurrence.

No further action had been taken against the airline.

Mr Saint said an air traffic controller advised the Boeing's crew that a resident living under the flight path had found the spring after it fell onto his roof.

Mr Huttner said Virgin Blue had arranged for the replacement of a roofing sheet for the house owner.

"He was very kind, he got us the spring back immediately, so we were able to do a review with the operational safety team. He wasn't angry or upset in any way."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All I can say is thank god the passengers never heard about this - for once again the media would have been cluttered with distressed people screaming "It was the scariest moment of my life - I thought I was going to die..." and "I reckon I heard something pop out - at first I thought it was the wing..."

Cheers,

Soulman.