PDA

View Full Version : 1st degree AV blockage

Croqueteer
3rd Mar 2004, 04:08
I have to be wired up for a 24hr monitor followed by a stress ECG for the above problem. No resrictions have been put on my licence at the moment. Apparently half of my heart gets the message by second class post. Any info or advice from fellow sufferers?

aviate1138
3rd Mar 2004, 04:52
Croqueteer asks......Any info or advice from fellow sufferers?

Were you an FAA licenced pilot you probably would never have had to do any testing. The CAA is Paranoid about anything 'abnormal' with your heart. Very few people have 'normal' hearts and there are many pilots out there that have continued to retirement on FAA paperwork. Cardiologist Duncan Dymond at Barts has helped many people with 'abnormal' heart conditions that turn out to be of no significance.

Relax and forget about your monitor and take your stress ECG knowing that it is probably as a result of CAA paranoia not because of any serious 'abnormal' condition of your heart.

Example. A BA 747 Capt fails medical - loses licence - BA confirms 'gross abnormality of heart'. He continues flying [not for BA] via FAA licence as their medical shows no problem. After 4 years he seeks UK Cardiologists help and after tests CAA revalidate his licence and BA give him his flying job back with no loss of seniority - he continues until retirement 2 years ago as Senior 744 Capt with full pension - so no financial worries then!

Good luck.

Aviate 1138