PDA

View Full Version : US Flight Training (title edited by Scroggs)

ikea
3rd Mar 2004, 02:25
Hey everyone, here goes my first post! I am hoping to go to the USA for my JAA ATPL (ab initio), and have narrowed it down to two schools; European Flight Training in Vero Beach,or XXXX. Has anyone here completed training there or know of anyone who has done/going to do their 'professional pilot' courses? Any help, info (good or bad!) will be much appreciated. Thank you

BillieBob
3rd Mar 2004, 04:51
EFT are not at Vero Beach but at Fort Pierce - close but no cigar. You also don't seem to appreciate that you cannot get a 'JAA ATPL (ab-initio)' since you need a minimum of 500 hours multi-crew, which you can only get if employed by an airline (or corporate operator). It seems that you have much to learn.

Methinks a little more investigation is required if you are not to fall prey to the many sharks that inhabit the strange world of professional aviation. A visit to the upcoming show at Heathrow might be a wise move (shark repellent advised).

ikea
3rd Mar 2004, 06:52
I am thinking abot going to that event. I posted in airliners.net asking how these events are, but no one replied. I not been to anything like it before, we dont have much in the way of guidance in Newcastle, so I think its going to be wise to go to the event!

Charlie Zulu
3rd Mar 2004, 14:29
Hi Ikea,

There isn't much in the way of guidance anywhere in the world.

Information on the route to becomming a professional pilot is available at your local friendly flying club, on discussion groups such as Professional Pilots Rumour Network, BALPA, the Flight Training Exhibition and by people you meet whilst training.

Assuming you are looking for employment in the United Kingdom or elsewhere in Europe, there are two routes to an ATPL:

1) Integrated Training
2) Modular Route

Both of the above will lead to a Frozen ATPL, well actually a Frozen ATPL doesn't actually exist, it is merely a phrase that is used to describe a JAA CPL/IR with the ATPL Theoretical Knowledge Completed.

You may also have the MCC course completed (normally part of the integrated training).

The difference between the two?

Integrated is a little quicker in getting you a licence BUT you will spend a lot more money (course fees around £60,000 to £70,000 mark), have to be able to take 1 to 1 1/2 years off work for full time study and will come out with total hours less than 200 in some cases.

Modular takes a bit longer but you can stay in full time employment and do your training in your spare time. Each "module" can be completed at different schools. The modular route is usually a lot cheaper, a saving of £20,000 to £30,000 off the integrated route is common and you will come out with around 250 hours total time, assuming you don't do a lot more hour building than you really need to do.

Once you have the above you can apply to the airlines but don't expect a quick way in through the front door into any airline.

Most airlines like a lot more experience, one way is to instruct which requires another course of training to lead to an FI(R) (Flight Instructor (Restricted)) rating. This is normally around the £5,000 mark.

Another way is to fly single pilot IFR on Seneca's or similar for a charter outfit. *BUT* regulations stipluate you REQUIRE at LEAST 700 hours total time (or is that PIC time? Can't remember!).

An increasing number of airlines expect new entrees to have a type rating, this means paying for one out of your own back pocket. This costs around an average £20,000 for a Jet type rating depending on which type you for for. ** NOTE: I think I may be opening a tin of can worms here! **

Once you get into an airline or corporate work and are flying on a multi crew jet (B737, A320 etc) then you will be building your multi crew time to the 500 hours required for the "Frozen ATPL" to be unfrozen and converted into a full JAA ATPL. There are also other requirements such as 1500 hours total time etc. Until you get the full unrestricted JAA ATPL you cannot be a Captain of a multi crew jet. Mind you it'll take you a lot more experience than the minimum JAA ATPL to get into the left hand seat of an airliner.

The Flyer Exhibition at Heathrow is an excellent resource. Go and attend the show, take a notebook and be prepared to ask LOTS of questions but as has been said before be careful and have your eyes wide open.

Your username has just reminded me... I have to go to the shop to buy a bulb for the bedside lamp I bought at the shop your username refers. Thanks!

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

ikea
4th Mar 2004, 06:34
hey, thanks, that information is of great help! Its so confusing, and i have a file of at least 30 flying schools from over the world, on a chart im comparing them. But now, I feel that It is the JAA license i want,; I have seen some averts in PILOt an FLYER for 'JAA + FAA/2 licences for the price of one, blah blah...
The hardest part is getting an accurate quote. Although no 2 pilots are the same and will require different assistancee, be it in the air or on the ground, it would be nice to have a figure to work towards. My budget is tight, as £30k, so I have an awful amount of hours to put in in IKEA! Enjoy your visit to the store, and thankyou for you advice ;)

oh, well since i posted, flyeft.com has changed, and it seemes a really good course! and, it give the costs of all the extras, so i kinda retract my previous statement!

TJF97
18th Jul 2005, 10:06
Hi, Has anyone trained at XX recently?? I've done a search on them and the feedback is pretty mixed towards them but there dosn't seem to be any recent reports.

I'd be interested in anyone's opinion on them, they do seem to bevery good at replying to emails which is not the case with some of the Florida outfits!!

The company you mention is persona non grata at Pprune. No mention of their name or business activities will be tolerated. There will be no discussion about this.

Scroggs