PDA

View Full Version : X Rays & Radiation

yankeeclipper747
3rd Mar 2004, 01:01
I recently reread the article about the amounts of radiation we receive as pilots. Anyone remember that one? It brought to mind a question. This may sound stupid but if the majority of radiation comes from the sun, what are the risks then when flying at night?

gingernut
3rd Mar 2004, 21:27
Yankee, sorry not an expert, but I think you will have to be a little more specific about your questioneg What type of radiation are you thinking of? Have a look at this (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi) free medical data base. Type in "Pilot" and "radiation" in the search box. It may give you some leads.

Flyin'Dutch'
3rd Mar 2004, 22:49
Could not find anything particular useful.

Quite a bit of research was done into this but IIRC failed to demonstrate a clear link between exposure and increased healthrisk from radiation related health problems.

FD

unowho
3rd Mar 2004, 23:14
In the mil, it was always rumoured that Fast jet mates due to the radar being between their legs were more likely to have female offspring. Seems that female sperm are stronger than male sperm and can survive the radiation.

Don't know if that answers your question.

Loose rivets
4th Mar 2004, 12:33
My mate in Dublin, confided in me that their solar probe problems were resolved by sending it at night.