PDA

View Full Version : Shuttleworth's ANEC II First Flight

Airbedane
3rd Mar 2004, 00:39
Stop Press:

The Shuttleworth Collection's ANEC II successfully flew today in the hands of test pilot Dodge Bailey. Four hops were carried out at Old Warden.

DamienB
3rd Mar 2004, 01:11
Argh, should have warned me, I was free today too... I trust Vintage ATCO has some pics...?

Man-on-the-fence
3rd Mar 2004, 01:54
Having just spent the day up a ladder painting windows, I would have loved an excuse to be ANYWARE else.:(

DamienB
3rd Mar 2004, 05:05
You painted the windows? Doesn't that make seeing out difficult?

Man-on-the-fence
3rd Mar 2004, 05:18
Who cares I'm selling the place :E

treadigraph
3rd Mar 2004, 07:48
It also makes seeing IN difficult, which could be the point...!

Great news Airbedane, look forward to seeing (assuming no one paints over my personal windows) the little gem airborne this year!

Philo
6th Mar 2004, 02:48
MOTF,
Are you leaving this area ?, its the centre of the universe and so much happens.

Man-on-the-fence
6th Mar 2004, 05:20
Philo

I feel I must correct you, it is in fact the armpit of the Universe, one is at least an hours drive away from anything interesting (except RIAT) :O

However the In(Out)laws live in Abingdon and they are getting a bit doddery, I did suggest selling them for medical experiments and moving to somewhere warm and sunny, however that has been overruled. We will be moving to wherever the boss says we are moving to I guess.

I'm easy as long as its not in the bottom of a Valley and I can get Broadband :ok:

vintage ATCO
6th Mar 2004, 05:29
MOTF
Glad to see you have your priorities right. :ok: 1 meg broadband is great!!

Luton must be the other armpit of the universe except with the one abiding feature, it seems to be in easy reach of everywhere else! Well almost, access to birdwatching in North Norfolk could be better . . . . :D

DeepC
7th Mar 2004, 04:50
Easy on Luton..

It has one of the world's greatest Football Teams. It is the home of EasyJet and I was born there! (Well ok, it is a bit of a dive)

Bringing it back on topic. As I live with in shooting distance of OW it interests me when there is stuff going on like first flights. I have been down at OW some summer days when it was like a flying display day but very few folks on the field watching.

It would be great if we could get a 'heads up' before a significant non-event. I guess things like first flights are very much subject to the vagaries of the weather.

DeepC

DubTrub
8th Mar 2004, 06:14
The video of the ANEC II flight is excellent, low-level hops, some yaws and banks carried out. First flight since 1938 (?)

Perhaps the video author might consider posting it here.

Specnut727
8th Mar 2004, 08:26
Pardon my ignorance, but what is an ANEC II ?

Any pics and specs etc would be greatly appreciated thanks.

BEagle
8th Mar 2004, 13:44
For a piccie, see: http://www.aeroplanemonthly.com/news/news_archive/anec/anec_II.htm

Airbedane
8th Mar 2004, 15:20
Off the top of my head - I don't have any notes or books to hand - the ANEC II was designed and built by the Air Navigation and Engineering Company(?) as an entry to the 1924 two-seater Lympne trials. The idea was to find a good training aircraft for the RAF, but the spec was too tight - the engines were too small and the tasks they had to complete not too relevant. In consequence many of the entrants were 'powered gliders', such as the ANEC II, the Wren and the HP Sayers. Few, if any of the trials aircraft were successul, but the series (I think they were held from 1923 to 1929) led to the Tiger Moth, so the aim was achieved and the rest is history.

Regarding the advertising of significant non-events such as the ANEC test, I'm afraid the answer is no. The pressures on the pilot and engineers for first flights are high enough as it is. They can do without the added pressure of letting the right people know (there are always one or two who believe they should have been told), and when there, the dissappointment to the spectators of a no-fly decision can also present added pressure to 'go anyway' - the eventual no-fly decision will then offend.

Remember that for such a machine as the ANEC, there are no pilot's notes, no drawings, no documentaion - except what can be found in period books, reports and mags. Handling qualities of these early machines are also something of a challenge when compared to their modern counerparts, even for a certified machine.

The first flight must be a no-pressure event, therefore, no pre-arranged spectators - if you happen to be there, then your luck will be in.

The current plan is to expand the flight envelope over the next few weeks, and serviceability and no major anomalies permitting, we hope to have a permit to fly for the aircraft for this season.

DeepC
9th Mar 2004, 05:16
Airbedane,

Fair play. Thought the answer might be something along those lines.

I'll just have to be a more frequent visitor to the Collection then!

Thanks

DeepC

ladyanorak
9th Mar 2004, 21:04
Just a quick note to say that there is a possibility that the ANEC may fly either this afternoon or tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Man-on-the-fence
9th Mar 2004, 23:03
ladya

Thank you, I cant make it but the info is much appreciated.

MOTF