PDA

View Full Version : Ir Computer Based Training

Paulscho
2nd Mar 2004, 22:00
Looking for a piece of software that lets you practice VOR/NDB tracking on the PC. I saw one a few years ago, not a flight sim that was useful but forgotten the name. If anyone has seen anything, I would be most grateful if you let me know.
Thanks.

paco
2nd Mar 2004, 22:39
possibly precision pilot? If it wasn't it's highly recommended!

Phil

FlyingForFun
2nd Mar 2004, 22:43
RANT is the one which everyone seems to talk about (Radio Aid Navigation Tutor or something). I played around with a trial version and couldn't get to grips with it, but I seem to be in the minority group.

FFF
--------------

High Wing Drifter
2nd Mar 2004, 23:08
I'm glad this question has popped up as I have recently been looking at www.flyelite.com. Does anybody have any opions on this stuff?

Cheers,
HWD.

Fan Rub
3rd Mar 2004, 04:03
Try this link to Tims Air Navigation Simulator:

http://www.visi.com/~mim/nav/

FR

BillieBob
3rd Mar 2004, 04:28
There's plenty of good IFR training software out there but only one program is geared directly to the UK version of the JAA IR Skill Test and written by a current CAA FE. For my money, if you intend to take the JAA IR Skill Test in the UK, it's got to be RANT, particularly if you get the author as your FE!

bad credit
3rd Mar 2004, 06:02
I have just finished my IR training. A lot of people at my flying school used Rant and said it helped them out. I found it crap. Looks like i'll join the minority too!

Cirius
3rd Mar 2004, 19:01
I used RANT AND got the author as my FE.

Excellent software. Got the most use out of it by my instructor telling me what exercise we were going to do the following day and by practising the exercise using the forecast winds, etc. a couple of times the night before doing it for real in the aircraft.