PDA

View Full Version : Extra Leg Room Seats

FlyboyBen
2nd Mar 2004, 19:49
I have flown on 4 Easyjet flights in the past week, and on three occasions upon boarding, I managed to get the the over-wing seat with loads of leg-room. In neither case was I the first on the aircraft yet I was surprised that no-one bothered to take these seats. Are people mad / ignorant / silly??? Obviously I wasn't complaining but I was a bit bemused about my luck!!!

While I'm here I'll have a dig at the cabin crew. You're not comedians, don't try to be funny!!! If you have to make a joke, at least use original ones. I heard the same joke on two separate flights, bah!!

Bealzebub
2nd Mar 2004, 22:41
Found the same thing with Ryanair. I think that possibly the early boarders go for a seat near the front so as to be off early at the other end. Not everybody wants the added responsibility of sitting at an exit seat but I doubt this puts too many people off.

I agree with you about the "jokes". Humour is a very subjective art and I think crew sound much better when they come across as mature confident and professional. On the other hand when the airlines emblazon their aircraft with advertising hoardings and protest banners perhaps it is becoming a sign of the times. ;)

PAXboy
2nd Mar 2004, 23:46
FlyboyBen, as long as you are prepared to get the emergency door open, chuck it out and then help everyone through it before escaping yourself - that is great. I am glad that folks appreciate what is needed and are prepared to step up to the mark. I'll try to thank you on my way past. ;)

By the way, regarding the CC announcements on the P/A, you may well find that these are scripted by the management and they get little choice in the matter. I stand to be corrected on this as regards EZY but there was a thread in here recently about the BA announcements by CC and it was confirmed that they HAD to read them as written on the card.

If you want to hear really lame jokes, try Kulula in South Africa. :rolleyes:

Enjoy your flights.

Pax Vobiscum
2nd Mar 2004, 23:53
I avoid the over-wing seats because:

a) I don't mind about the legroom on short(ish) hops (I only have little legs);

b) I like to have a view of the ground/sea/clouds.

I always ask for a window seat, but a surprisingly large amount of the time I end up with a view of the wing or occasionally the engines (at the back of an MD8x or similar).

Bealine or anybody else, would it do any good to ask for an 'unrestricted view' or would that be making the check-in staff's job unduly complicated?

ShamRoc
3rd Mar 2004, 00:05
Slightly off topic I suppose but as we are talking about exit seats..!
On some cards/seats there is a warning that "this is heavy" is this taken into account by check-in staff when allocating seats? More importantly perhaps, do flight attendants metally assess the possible ability of the passenger(s) in the "Emergency Rows" to actually manhandle the window?

Bluejay
3rd Mar 2004, 02:33
Pax Vobiscum quote:

Bealine or anybody else, would it do any good to ask for an 'unrestricted view' or would that be making the check-in staff's job unduly complicated?

On Bealines' behalf I can answer this.

Not a problem, as long as there are window seats in the seat plan that are not over the wing and that is specified when you make your seating request then we will be more than happy to move/allocate you to one of those seats.

Regards Bluejay

bealine
3rd Mar 2004, 03:29
BlueJay:ok:

(Hope you're broadband's all okay!)

Pax Vobiscum
3rd Mar 2004, 15:45
Thanks Bluejay and bealine - I'll give it a try next time!

PV

fly babe
3rd Mar 2004, 21:44
FlyboyBen, Im glad you managed to bag the overwing exit seats recently, and I hope you took into consideration your responsiblity for those seats re: an emergency evacuation.

I am cabin crew and I consider myself to be mature, confident and professional - i have to be I am trained and employed to save lives. If i choose to use my own sense of humour in my announcements, that does not make me a comedian yet I know that it encourages pax to take notice of what Im saying and to feel more relaxed whilst hurtling through the air in a metal tube.

Although we have 'scripted' marketing and safety announcements that we must make, we are also encouraged to "use our personality to its best advantage. A sense of humour and an open demeanour can help communication". As long as I am professional, polite and friendly and dont insult anyone, where is the harm in adding a little humour in my work place?

Bluejay
4th Mar 2004, 04:20
Fine thanks bealine, feels like warp speed, very good:ok:

EasyBaby
5th Mar 2004, 01:39
ShamRoc, answering your question regarding the exit door. Airlines that would allocate a seat would have the check in staff making sure that the pax checking - in is fit and healthy and capable of opening the exit and passing through it. I would imagine they would also check with the pax themselves that they are happy to take that seat and take the extra responsibilty that comes with it.

At Ezy we don't allocate the seats so that the job falls onto the No. 3 who is possitioned at the overwings, to make sure that the persons choosing to sit there is an "Able Body Passenger", we also brief them on the opening of the exit which has been known to scare a few into moving seats!!!

The door is very heavy don't remember the excact weight but i remember in my training that it was a hell of a weight!

Hope that answers it!

ShamRoc
5th Mar 2004, 17:34
Thank you EasyBaby

I am sure most pax do not realise just how heavy the exit is. Indeed, the illustrations often imply it is almost as easy as opening an "up and over door". An interesting exercise would be to have a "training exit" available and suggest pax lift it. On the other hand if they claimed a bad back, hernia or other injury as a result of lifting, then off to the claims court................!

PAXboy
7th Mar 2004, 22:10
Safety cards now give the weight, I think. It is around 20/25kgs?? Which is 44/55 pounds. (I sit to be corrected)

I see that Airbus have started to build escape doors that are hinged on the top. The card shows that you operate the handle and push out and up and the door opens like a tail-gate door on an estate car or people carrier. This must be the way to go.

Globaliser
7th Mar 2004, 23:17
The 737NG has hinged-at-the-top overwing exits too. They were the subject of (yet another) FAA/JAA spat over certification of derivative designs. The JAA were going to refuse to certificate the NG with the pull-out hatch-type overwing exits, so Boeing had to redesign them.

Boss Raptor
7th Mar 2004, 23:44
I always thought Emergency Exit seats seats had to be positively attributed/pre-allocated by airline staff to those considered (and in the US asked/briefed by cabin staff) if they are able to physically and actually handle the exit...so anyone can take an exit seat on EZY?!

I have done the exit drill many times and that door is very heavy causing me serious muscle strain every time...let alone the risk if it falls back on top of you as you bring it back in...

Emergency exits and procedures should not be taken lightly :*

SLF
8th Mar 2004, 00:53
Hmmm - two points

I like the idea of the oversized removable panel that has to be opened in to the plane before being thrown out - no danger of accidental opening at altitude due to air pressure...

...and I'm sure in an emergency, that 20 kilos will positively fly through the hatch, amazing what a little adrenaline will do ;)

Cheers - SLF

speedbird_heavy
12th Mar 2004, 00:25
With regards to allocating ABP's in to exit rows, the main problem is the travel agent selling extra legroom seats to 80 year old Betty and her husband 81 year old Percy because betty has just had her hip replaced and cant bend her leg. They they turn up to the airport to check-in and are told that they cant have these seats because of

A. Their age
and
B. A medical problem

You also have to bear in mind that the airlines (especially a large one with blue aircraft) will not allow the movement of pre-alocated seat. So you call their office and explain and they tell you to give them the seats as they have paid for them and let the crew sort it out and give them a re-fund.

As a dispatcher I am the first target for the cabin crew when they find out that a non ABP is sat in an exit seat and wont listen when you tell them that it was an instuction from their airline to leave them there.

I dont think that 90% of people who sit in an exit row are fully aware of their responsibility, however charging for these seats allows the checkin staff to decide who sits there and usually eliminates some of the rif raf who are not responsible enough to sit there.

PAXboy
12th Mar 2004, 01:53
I dont think that 90% of people who sit in an exit row are fully aware of their responsibility As low as 90%?:rolleyes:

Because commercial flight safety has become so safe, folks only think of these as 'extra leg room seats' and have zippo idea as to WHY there is more leg room.

Air_Dream
12th Mar 2004, 21:37
I laugh at when pax come to me and say, I need extra leg room because i have a bad leg or I have a back problem and need to stretch.

I explain to them that in the case of an emergency the doors need to be lifted by able-bodied people and then they start jumping in front of me saying, its not a serious back problem... I think I would be good for the seat.

If they want legroom, buy business or first! :suspect:

Pax Agent
13th Mar 2004, 03:36
I personally give out emergency seats to the first ABP's who turn up at check-in (obviously with their knowledge that i am doing so and they know what it means) because i know that if i leave it till someone asks for them then it will be the most unsuitable Pax ever!
We have argued with the elderly, the young, families, and even pregnant women who claimed that being pregnant is not a medical condition and could operate an emergency exit door perfectly easily......( i can see it now....just opening that door and she goes into labour just as she's getting out! oh joy!)

speedbird_heavy
14th Mar 2004, 06:04
How do these new business class only airlines fill their exit seats?? I mean every seat has legroom on them.....

redsnail
14th Mar 2004, 07:28
Fly babe,
Make the PAs as funny and humourous as you;d like. I will listen. :t