PDA

View Full Version : Fear flight aboard troubled Qantas jet

Wirraway
2nd Mar 2004, 13:17
www.news.com.au

Fear flight aboard troubled Qantas jet
By Sue Bailey
March 2, 2004

TASMANIAN passengers last night told of their terror aboard a Hobart bound Qantas flight which was forced to return to Melbourne yesterday because of an airconditioning problem.

Three Incat employees, who were returning with two colleagues to Hobart after working in Spain, were upset that the 115 passengers were give few details of the malfunction.

They said the plane "dropped like a stone and leaned over" before turning around.

Qantas said flight QF 1653 returned to Melbourne shortly after takeoff.

A spokeswoman said it landed safely after the airconditioning system became unserviceable during the flight.

As a precaution, fire trucks were on standby when the Boeing 717 landed.

Mechanical fitter Keyran Cornish, of Hobart, last night was still recovering from the ordeal.

"I don't think I've ever been that scared in my life," Mr Cornish said.

"I was completely terrified until the wheels touched the ground."

Mr Cornish said the plane dropped considerably and passengers were left wondering what was happening. Rigger Darren Bradshaw, of South Arm, said: "The three hostesses seemed to panic and they gathered up all the breakfasts and put them straight in a garbage bag and poured out the coffee."

"You could feel the cabin pressure change and we circled the airport for ages.

"Everyone was pretty anxious and two women were crying.

"When we landed there were five fire trucks there ready for us."

Electrical technician Ian Bennett, of Huonville, said he was not as worried as his colleagues but knew something was amiss because of the reaction of the cabin crew.

"The most disturbing thing was that for about 15 minutes they didn't tell us what was happening," Mr Bennett said.

"It was a bit off-putting and didn't look that flash for a while."

The Incat workers were also disappointed that Qantas offered passengers $6 vouchers to compensate for the inconvenience.

The flight arrived in Hobart nearly four hours late.

The Mercury

===========================================

Pimp Daddy
2nd Mar 2004, 13:33
Definately time to put Lachlan on the Board as well.

compressor stall
2nd Mar 2004, 13:39
Pimp Daddy - ROTFLMAO! :ok:

Sad to see the mercury stoop to such levels - they got it mostly right on the Aerocommander crash last week (save for a level or two, which might not have been the reporter's fault).

Anyone have details for this cow to email her?

CS
:yuk:

8 8th's Blue
2nd Mar 2004, 16:33
I was taught Aviate,Navigate,communicate in that order. Please journo's wake up to yourselves. The crew had a situation to investigate and deal with, turning something travelling at 900kml/hr around and organising an unplaanned arrival all the while maintaing control. It took 15 min to do this. If I was on that aircraft I would have rather let the flight crew work as oppose to demanding immediate responses over a PA.

Rostov
2nd Mar 2004, 17:19
8/8th's you are so right.
I found out the Cpt had experienced the exact scenario in the sim one week earlier as to the F/O some time earlier. The failure was the exact same scenario for the cyclic sim. Seems to me the media couldn't have got it any more wrong, those two boys did very well. Well done gents. :ok:

Capt Claret
2nd Mar 2004, 19:47
Obviously these poor 717 pilots didn't know what they were doing at all, did they!

Instead of dealing with the problem and ignoring the worries of the "we thought we were gunna die brigade", thay should have ignored the problem and given the pax an in depth account of the problem that presented, their plan to resolve it, and asked if any pax had any advice to offer.

All this while the thing spiralled into Bass Straight, killing all on board and thus leaving no one to tell the press how scared they were, or how bad the pilots and F/As were.

Bloody F/As should have known better and continued serving coffee & tea so as to calm the scaredy cats.

retires and removes tongue from cheek :hmm:

NAMPS
3rd Mar 2004, 04:31
Seems to me the journo was following Rule No 1 of the Journos Code of Practice:

"Never let the facts get in the way of a good story"

onya
3rd Mar 2004, 07:27
Normally this kind of sensationalistic journalism (aka windbagging) gets up my nose but then I read Capt Clarets post and have been trying to pull myself together ever since.

so as to calm the scaredy cats.

Without a doubt the funniest thing I have read on this forum for ages. Every time I read it I end up ROTFLMFAO.

Thanks clarry, you've made my day. :ok:

Onya

Arbey8
3rd Mar 2004, 07:40
good post 8/8ths.

according to the media: sars is still alive and well, the bird flu is still on the rise and another terrorist attack is gonna happen any day now...

:yuk: