PDA

View Full Version : QF Regional drivers-your thoughts on Mainline/AIPA

jokeStar
2nd Mar 2004, 08:00
I'm opening this thread regarding Regional Pilot Employment within the Qrewroom site at present.

"Airing dirty laundry" on pprune, may not be everyones cup of tea, but the number of guys that DONT speak up on Qrewroom for fear of retribution now or down the track is far from suprising.

I for one am almost dumbfounded at the arrogance of 'some' individuals within mainline who don't think the ladies/gents who wear basically the same uniform, fly aircraft in the same colour scheme, fly pax to regional destinations off their mainline collegues larger types, conform to the same C & T FT9/10 and HAVE to do QF stage One to enter that position who treat the 'regional' drivers as a second class citizens.

Not all regional and jetStar drivers have aspirations to go to QF mainline. But when you look at the bigger picture, for the 'younger' people still chasing the dream, why let very good drivers leave for DJ, CX, RBA? I'm not implying any free rides for people into mainline, but take the cabin crew for example. Not every flight attendant takes the mainline option when their number is up to go across.

I could write a novel here pertaining to this, but would like peoples opinions from both mainline, and jetStar/regionals regarding this topic.

spinout
2nd Mar 2004, 13:08
My Thoughts are; it just won't happen... AIPA can promise any thing they like but they don’t run Qantas... it is rumored that some of the mainline pilots are leaving AIPA for the pilots division of the TWU.

Col. Walter E. Kurtz
2nd Mar 2004, 13:41
QF is selling itself WAY short by more or less disallowing Regional pilots to progress to mainline - it is just sheer stupidity!

Hundreds or thousands of hours belting around regional strips in all conditions in high performance turboprops and experienced gained surely is a benefit to a mainline cockpit - or is the mainline cockpit that far removed from the rest of the world?

If European and US airlines are putting low time or Cadets into the RHS of jet transports, I can't understand why an experienced Regional Captain shouldn't be able to be recruited, suitably trained and then checked to line in the RHS of any of the QF fleet, not be made an SO - that can be left to the cadets and the guys/gals entering from GA.

The current system really is a sieve for good pilots to fall through into the hands of competing airlines.

QF should recognise that experienced pilots should be embraced, not discarded.

Anyway, it's their loss, and they obviously don't realise what they are losing.

hoss
2nd Mar 2004, 17:36
G'day Colonel:) (loved the movie but not necessarily your part),

I'm reading you 'strength 4.5' on your last post but convincing the Empire is like 'pulling teeth'. If offered SO positions, the turnaround and moral at Eastern would be amazing. I don't think one Pilot would leave for another Airline.

With regard to the AIPA question, the way I see it there is so much going on right now and so many changes that it is very difficult to make a good decision.

Safe flying:) .

T53C
2nd Mar 2004, 20:52
Col. ,

Couldn't agree with you more. The sooner the 'hand full' (read-NOT all mainline drivers) of toff nosed senior drivers get their hands off it, and wake up to themselves the better. These guys fly 6 sectors a month. Regional drivers do that in one duty. AND not from ILS to ILS.

Just remember guys, we are all doing a job we love, be it jet, prop, whatever!

Management have to realise one thing. If you look after the little things, the big things look after themselves. :hmm:

Capt Fathom
3rd Mar 2004, 06:09
I can't understand why an experienced Regional Captain shouldn't be able to be recruited, suitably trained and then checked to line in the RHS of any of the QF fleet, not be made an SO - that can be left to the cadets and the guys/gals entering from GA.
These guys fly 6 sectors a month. Regional drivers do that in one duty. AND not from ILS to ILS.

What more needs to be said. The Regional pilots will be flooded with job offers! :rolleyes:

QF Librarian
3rd Mar 2004, 06:22
Col. Walter E. Kurtz

IF QF are putting ex AN drivers, some with over 20 years jet experience in the back seat of 747's I could hardly see them putting a regional pilot straight into the RHS.

Not saying that it can't be done, of course it can, some of the best pilots I've ever flown with were in my regional days. I'm just saying it won't happen.

In the big scheme of things experience means diddly squat.

Jet_A_Knight
3rd Mar 2004, 23:35
In the big scheme of things experience means diddly squat.

More's the pity.