PDA

View Full Version : Australian Challenge Airways - Flight Int'l Article

Beer Can Dreaming
2nd Mar 2004, 07:25
From Flight International Magazine - 24 Feb-1 Mar 2004

A new Australian cargo airline has been set up by a group of Sydney investors and former Ansett Australia employees, and plans to launch operations mid year using four B757-200F's.

Australian Challenge Airways (ACA) is headed by Sydney based Neil Hansford, chairman of aviation consultancy Startegic Aviation Solutions and a former executive director of Ansett Air Freight in Australia as well as TNT Express in Europe.
He says that undisclosed Sydney investors are bankrolling the start-up, which is aimed at a perceived gap in the Australian cargo market.

Hansford says ACA expects its AOC application will come through in June.

ACA - which will be based in either Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne - plans to start operating in mid 2004, on domestic as well as international routes between Australia and Asia, says Hansford.
ACA is in the process of negotiating a contract with the Melbourne maintenance company, which was previously part of Ansett Australia.

Qantas and Australia Post, which jointly own Australian Air Express, dominate the local air cargo market.
In October, Australian freight operator TransAustralian Air was disbanded and in December Qantas and Australia Post acquired road freight operator Star Track Express.

Sooty
3rd Mar 2004, 17:16
Saw the ad in 'The Australian' looking for expressions of interest.
Does anybody know more about conditions etc...

nesbit
4th Mar 2004, 23:45
Well, well, well

It seems the good old assuie way of life has not changed. Gossip about start-up airlines is just out of control. The old age saying of "he who holds the information holds the power" is very true in this case. The freight industry in this county is in for a rude but needed shake up. I for one know that the price structure of the new freight airline, and I'll let you know it wont be called ACA, will blow Australian Air Express out of the water. Utilizing only three B757-200F not four as quoted in FI.

The funding for the new airline is heavily financed through a major bank, and when I mean heavy Im not talking C152 size, I mean heavy as in APOLO 11 sitting on the launch pad ready for launch.

The public will see that the boys in Brisbane have put the airline together, gone out and shown investors what they can really do, and have won over some very large freight contracts. None the less, all the gossip about the Australian Airfreight industry will be put to rest probably this month.

I just hope that G.A.C corporation can really make a road kill out of a certain kangaroo.

Boofy181
9th Jan 2005, 17:49
Hi,

Thought I would bring this one back into the lime light so to speak and ask if anyone has heard anymore on this airline.

Have they been successful in starting up and are they looking for crew. Can anynoe help.

Cheers

Boofy

BAE146
9th Jan 2005, 22:29
.................will blow Australian Air Express out of the water.

;) ...................this I gotta SEE !

Groaner
10th Jan 2005, 01:45
Dormant. Waiting on customer contracts.

Ultralights
10th Jan 2005, 05:48
if it does come to fruition, i will be there! metro and local freight companies are like flies, endless numbers of them, but when it comes to air freight (which i use every day to ship new releases to radio stations everywhere,) there is just 1. AaE. and they are not that reliable!

Capt Claret
10th Jan 2005, 05:50
Last AAe craft I saw took off into the air, rather than sailed on or under the water ..... :\

BAE146
10th Jan 2005, 23:20
JetA spot on.............and.................13/02/2004 add in Australian for Australian Challenge Airways seeking EOI from 757 drivers. Come on fellas that was 12 months ago and you are still seeking EOIs......make up your minds. ARE YOU STARTING OPERATIONS OR NOT?
.................and...........AaE have the contracts with TOLL, TNT and SkyTrack Xpress...........don't leave much work for ACA.

.................and..........and AaE, with QF backing, have huge financial and political resources, so any challenge (excuse the pun) will need "APOLLO 11" financial backing and more ! Just ask ANZ re:Ansett and Virgin Blue re:JetStar.

Good Luck boys !

Wingnuts
12th Jan 2005, 05:51
Challenge is finished.

They failed to secure contracts and financial backers, $3mil later, have withdrawn support.

A number of the pilots, ex AN 320 drivers, who were heading up the Flt department, have recently been employed by Jetstar.

PS There is a way around that psych test

23 Metros In a Row
12th Jan 2005, 06:49
To finish, one generally must start. I really dont think these guys ever got to 20%, and even if they did, no fuel she won't start!

Buster Hyman
12th Jan 2005, 08:46
Well, I'll just quietly sit here on the "short list", biding my time...haven't let the bath water out just yet though!;)

BAE146
12th Jan 2005, 22:44
..........the sad, short history of this outfit started here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=119228&highlight=aca) almost 12 months ago.:{

Chocks Away
14th Jan 2005, 00:36
Hope it comes off.
Another option to AaE overnight delivery is a must. They have not delivered on time.

BAE146
15th Jan 2005, 08:47
.......no nesbit.........no Patriot One...............no challenge !