PDA

View Full Version : apply for qantas...or wait?

locusthunter
2nd Mar 2004, 06:20
I have the minimums for QANTAS but I don't have very much IF Twin time.
I am wondering whether it's better to apply or wait until I have a bit more experience. Knowing that if I get through the first rounds the sim ride looms.... anyone have some good advice??:8

Hugh Jarse
2nd Mar 2004, 09:11
Locusthunter,
get your app in straight away if you meet the minimum criteria. Stage 1 and 2's are happening now and you've got to be in it to win it.

There's no guarantee you'll be called straight away (or ever), but you'll never know if you don't have your finger in the pie.

When the time comes for the sim you'll be sent the info you need to prepare. My advice is PRACTICE during the lead-up. Do as many practice approaches you can in the A/C and even get some sim time if you can. Memorise the thrust/attitude/performance table as well as the key points on the Jepp charts they send you. You can make notes on them, but once again you won't have much time to refer to them during the flight. :E

You never know how long the recruiting will continue. Worst of all, you'll never know of you don't apply.

Good luck.

Tempo
2nd Mar 2004, 11:00
Locus,

Thats good advice by Hugh. I know a number of guys who have got into mainline with the bare minimums. As said-you have to be in it to win it. Remember, recruiting goes in cycles-by the time you have what you think is enough multi IF the door may have closed.

Apply and see what happens.

Cheers

locusthunter
4th Mar 2004, 11:30
Thanks for the encouragement, Hugh J & Tempo!

Locusthunter.

34R
5th Mar 2004, 17:03
Submit it now mate.

If you eventually get an interview, saves them asking you "So, if you are as keen to join QF as you say you are, why didn't you lodge your application when you initially met our minimums?"

Besides all that, it can't hurt can it?

Angle of Attack
5th Mar 2004, 18:46
Good Advice 34R. Mate get that application in as soon as possible, regardless of your experience it wont make much difference in the initial testing results, maybe it will in the sim, but if you get through the initial and then flunk the sim youll get another chance in a year or so. The other thing remember they rate you on your sim depending on your experience anyway, so if your up to scratch you will get through it even with minimums. Otherwise they WILL ask you later why you didnt apply as soon as you had the minimums, trust me its seen as a negative if you dont. As a sidenote Ive had two mates call me in the last 2 weeks saying they've been offered first round next month, one with close to minimums. With Jetstar round the corner I would give yourslef every chance possible, go for it!

locknut
13th Mar 2004, 13:57
While we're on this topic, what sort of waiting period should I expect after submitting the application, to commencing stage one of the interview (if all goes to plan)? And how long is the usual time frame of the entire interview process.

*Lancer*
13th Mar 2004, 21:42
locknut,

The interview is step 2 of the 5 step process.

I think they notify you in writing that your application has been received within 2 weeks... Times to stage 1 following that vary enormously based on recruiting requirements and your competitiveness.

locknut
14th Mar 2004, 05:47
Lancer - ta!!:ok: