PDA

View Full Version : Belleview Airlines

bafanguy
2nd Mar 2004, 03:37
Can anyone if Africa give a guy from way, way out of town some info ? I see MD-80 captain jobs advertised in Lagos, Nigeria...assuming it's Belleview. What are the living and airline working conditions there ? I hear the occasional bad comment about crime, corruption, and living conditions but being from USA, I don't really have a clue or a place to get a clue.

TomBola
2nd Mar 2004, 21:23
Bafanguy,
I just made a posting on the Rotorheads thread about working in Africa. Here it is again:
With ACN, Bristow/OLOG and Caverton all recruiting staff for Nigeria at the moment there's a very good book which is worthwhile reading for anybody contemplating going there. It's 'this house has fallen - Nigeria in Crisis' by Karl Maier, published by Penguin (ISBN 0-14-029884-3). Mr Maier is a journalist who spent a number of years in Nigeria and likes the Nigerian people. The book is not optimistic but it is fair, honest, and sympathetic. It's also well written and an easy read. (oh and by the way, I'm not associated with the book in any way, so it's not a commercial plug, just trying to help those thinking of Nigeria for work:ok: )
Lago is a huge, bustling, hustling, dirty, vital, depressing, exciting city and it's definitely not for the fainthearted! There's a lot of street crime and a lot of corruption. But there are also a lot of really great people and there's a lot to do after work. Nigerian people are very friendly, but can be a bit mercurial in temperament. The best way to defuse any argumentative situation which looks like getting worse is not to get angry yourself, but just try to make the other person laugh. Nigerians love to laugh.
Bellview has a good reputation. If you're going to work for any airline there make sure you check out the living accommodation, the maintenance organisation and how/where you'll be paid.
If you come out I hope you'll have a great time.