PDA

View Full Version : Hour Building?

silentwitness
1st Mar 2004, 21:05
Hey all

I'm currently doing my JAR-PPL, but planning on training through to my fATPL.

I'm a bit confused as to the best route. My plan was to get PPL, then Night Rating, then IMC, then ME, then FI to build hours whilst studying ATPL, then CPL/IR and finally MCC.

However is it right you need around 200 hours before taking FI course? If so, would I be better spending the £5K for the FI course on getting some hours in befor the CPL/IR and leaving the FI part? At the moment, after PPL, Night, IMC and ME I'm gonna have to find another £8K or so just to get enough hours to start the CPL. Or if getting the FI, I'll need £8K then another £5K for the FI course.

Apart from going to Florida, does anyone know of any hour building packages you can get over here, instead of just renting by the hour?

Sorry of this doesn't make sense, I'm trying to figure it out as I go

Cheers all

FlyingForFun
1st Mar 2004, 21:26
The requirements for a CPL are that, before you start the course, you must have 150 hours. After completing the course, and before sending the paperwork off and applying for the license, you must have 200 hours, including 100 hours P1 time. (There's also a requirement for a 300nm cross country, including stops at two airports away from the airport of departure.) Details of all this are in LASORS.

The biggest problem I see with your original plan is that you won't be getting any P1 time. You will need to spend some time hour-building to get this.

The most common way of getting the FI rating is to do it either after the CPL, or else after the IR.

If you are planning on instructing, then it may also be worth leaving the multi-engine rating and the IR for a little while. They cost a lot of money to keep current - teaching PPL students will not keep you current in either of them, and you will have to spend a few hundred quid every year to get a bit of practice in order to renew them. Remember, though, that you must get the IR within 3 years of completing the exams, or the exam credits lapse.

Hope that helps,

FFF
-------------

silentwitness
1st Mar 2004, 21:35
Thanks FFF.

So a better route would be PPL, Night, IMC, P1 hour building, CPL, FI whilst ATPL study, ME/IR?

Stoney X
1st Mar 2004, 21:44
You have to complete the theory exams, either CPL or ATPL, before you start the CPL. As there is no point in doing both the CPL theory and then the ATPL theory your best bet would be to do the ATPL theory before the CPL course. Otherwise your order looks good.

Personally I intend doing IMC before the night rating but that's just a personal preference.

Regards
Stoney X

Mersea
1st Mar 2004, 23:09
You could always buy a share in an aircraft, these range from £1.5K to £7K depending on it being a third share or a tenth share and aircraft fit/type etc.

I paid £4000 for a tenth share in a PA28, it works out about £40 per hour wet, £4K was a bit on the top side but it's got an IFR fit, GPS, auto-pilot etc. If you went for a C150/152 that would be cheaper.....and slower, but hey....more hours !

Once you get the aircraft sorted do plenty of flying via Jersey, Guernsey.....the fuel is half price and VAT free.....landing fees are faily cheap.

It sounds a lot of money to tie up, but it makes sense if you want to build > 200 hours......the aircraft should not devaluate at all....just be carefull and make sure you join a well run group.

The US is good for hour building but you have to add on accomodation and your air fares....there are also some quite badly maintained aircraft around in the US....I've experienced a couple of nasty incidents....

Fly Safe
Mer....

silentwitness
2nd Mar 2004, 00:02
Hi Mersea

Yeah i've been looking into that. How does it work out with who gets it when etc. Or "you used it more, you should pay for this etc"?

It would be a great way to get the hours in and as you say, can just sell your share when done, if needed!

Mersea
2nd Mar 2004, 04:12
We used to use a paper diary system which was kept by the people running the hanger.....however now moved onto a Web based booking system, you can book months ahead or tomorrow.

I just got sick of paying £100 per hour for some shed of a PA28 that had one operational VOR, an interior that looked like a murder scene and an engine that would only start after some gentle coaxing from one of their engineers. The other problem was you could only book 2 slots on weekends - so you can't really go anywhere.

As your flying progresses you will also want an aircraft with a good nav fit, so you can do your IMC rating in it and some decent trips without worrying about Nav and getting the aircraft back in time.

I've also got shares in a twin (C401) for hour building.....just did an excellent trip to Toulouse (skiing) via Jersey, logged 12 multi engine hours P1 which I worked out cost me £90 per hour (you'll pay £350 an hour for that class of aircraft on hire).

If you want some advice on what to look for on a group aircraft PM me...

Cheers
Mer

Oh, forgot about the useage......it's gentlemans agreement really, as long as you don't hog it too much there's not a problem. We have a rule for each day you take it you must fly two hours min, and the max continuous you can book for is seven days.....so off to Spain in couple of weeks :ok:

Mer