PDA

View Full Version : Wearing contact lenses for medical

mazzy1026
1st Mar 2004, 20:40
Sorry about this guys - search function down and need a quick reply - its decision time.

Can you wear contact lenses for the class 1 medical ? I usually wear glasses, but for one reason or another I dont want to wear them for the medical - will contacts be OK for the day ?

Any replies greatly appreciated!

Lee

Hansard
2nd Mar 2004, 01:20
Does it not say something about contact lenses in the booking confirmation the CAA sends out when you book a Class 1 medical? I'll post again if I find my paperwork from way back.

10 minutes later...............

Found it. My paperwork from October 1999 says "If contact lenses are worn, they should be removed 72 hours before your appointment, but please remember to bring them with you"

Best check with the CAA for the latest position.

mazzy1026
2nd Mar 2004, 03:29
Thanks for that.

So does this mean that I cant actually turn up with them on? I presume they check your eyes without them, then you have to put them in afterwards whilst your there? Just making sure!

Cheers

Lee

silverknapper
2nd Mar 2004, 04:29
"If contact lenses are worn, they should be removed 72 hours before your appointment, but please remember to bring them with you"
I would have thought that answered your question. To confirm, you can't wear them in the 72 hours before the medical, but if you want them on your medical ie be allowed to use them when flying then bring them with you. If you don't then you can't use them in the air.

Say again s l o w l y
2nd Mar 2004, 05:34
According to the AME I use, it doesn't matter if you don't have your lenses with you at the medical. This is due to the wording on the medical certificate "correcting lenses" there is no differentiating between contacts or glasses. I have forgotten my contacts at my last couple of renewals and it wasn't a problem when I mentioned it, especially as I always take an upto date prescription with me.

mazzy1026
2nd Mar 2004, 16:31
Thanks guys - all clear now !

Best wishes

Lee

rmmonteiro
16th Jun 2004, 03:00
could some of you guys explain to me, why, one canīt use contact lens " 72 hours before the medics" ??
what do the lens do? reshape your cornea or something??

thanks

RMM

Justiciar
18th Jun 2004, 10:48
I would guess that it is because the eye has to accomodate differently with contacts as opposed to glasses as there is no air gap between eye and lense. Plus, contacts can dry the eye out a bit and they do examine the functioning of your tear ducts. I have given up on contacts for flying as I need reading glasses with them and my eyes are also a bit dry, which would mean discomfort in an airconditioned or preasurised environment. This defeats the object of wearing contacts as you have to do all the close and distance part of the eye test without changing lenses.

Flyin'Dutch'
18th Jun 2004, 11:13
Contacts can reshape the cornea.

Therefore you can then not accurately estimate the correction required.

Soft lenses have this problem less than the older gass permeable variety.

FD

FlyUK
23rd Jun 2004, 21:23
I wear contact lenses and took them out a couple of days before as per the instructions. Turned up to the eye test and doc asked me to read the line with glasses. No problems there he said. I then asked him if he wanted me to put in my lenses but he said there was no need as long as they are the same prescription. Was in the room all of about 1 minute max! :8