PDA

View Full Version : RABBIT PHONE NETWORK

imagedude
5th Aug 2001, 06:28
So is anyone brave enough to own up to buying a rabbit phone, does anyone else even remember them?

BlueDiamond
5th Aug 2001, 06:35
I can't recall (no pun intended) the rabbit phone but I did have a Garfield phone. His eyes opened whenever it rang. My neighbour has a whale phone that stands upright in a decorative plastic "wave". It alerts you to an incoming call by playing whale song.
:D :D :D

The Guvnor
5th Aug 2001, 10:39
I never owned one, but I do still see the little blue and white signs from time to time ... there's one in Brighton Station, for example.

Unfortunately, this thread has also just brought back that awful Chaz n Dave song that they used to promote it! :eek: :eek:

Baggy
5th Aug 2001, 16:20
Have to confess my ignorance, what's a rabbit phone? :confused:

Tartan Gannet
5th Aug 2001, 17:30
Baggy, I seem to recall it was a low budget cheapskate "Mobile" network which fell by the wayside as real mobile systems became cheaper and more widely available. Near where I used to stay in Hove, Sussex there was a garage with the sign for same. I eventually got on the Vodaphone system, currently using a Nokia 7110.

Feeton Terrafirma
5th Aug 2001, 17:42
It was called Rabbit?

And you thought it would work?

Bwaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:D :D :D :D

DX Wombat
5th Aug 2001, 22:27
And why not Feeton? I seem to recall that you have a photo processing chain in Oz which is also called "Rabbit" :rolleyes: :cool: :D

VnV2178B
6th Aug 2001, 21:48
Ok, I'll be the first to admit having had a Rabbit phone - but let me go on to qualify the statement.

The Rabbit was a limited range mobile where you had to stand pretty much within sight of the blue and white signs referred to previously. Then you could make calls but I don't think you could receive them. As TG says the 'real' mobile networks soon put paid to this.

When the network folded a lot of the infrastructure and components were sold off at stupidly low prices. My company bought a base station and handsets so that we could wander about the offices we then rented without having to install more fixed extensions. Worked like a charm for a couple of years. We finally chucked it out when we moved to a 'proper' office with enough fixed lines for everyone.

I think the whole thing was a Ferranti project in collaboration with Huchinson (?) Telecom. I also remember that they were not the only ones to use this technology but their competitors were even less common !

VnV...

Betamax videos, anyone ?
:D

[ 07 August 2001: Message edited by: VnV2178B ]

[ 07 August 2001: Message edited by: VnV2178B ]

Hersham Boy
7th Aug 2001, 11:50
I believe you're right VnV... snicker ye not, as the Rabbit project became Orange!

Got it right the second time round, eh?

Hersh

[edited as the board decided to asterisk-out the English version of Snicker!]

[ 07 August 2001: Message edited by: Hersham Boy ]