PDA

View Full Version : What has happened to Mark Knopfler?

Rollingthunder
4th Aug 2001, 06:25
Skilled guitar -- precise and classic
Soundtrack for my favorite film "Local Hero".
Brother's in Arms...Sultans of Swing...ahhh yeah.

pigboat
4th Aug 2001, 06:54
Didn't he do an album with Chet Atkins not long ago, just before Chet died?

Slasher
4th Aug 2001, 09:41
Hes still around. Made an apearance on French & Saunders not that long ago.

tony draper
4th Aug 2001, 12:31
He used to play guitar in my local, The Honeysuckle, in his early days, or so every body say's, everyone in this town had a pint with him there.
Funny, I praticly lived in that pub for twenty years and I never saw him.
I agree best guitarist of the last century,
Brothers in Arms is the only pop record I own,oh yes and a few Enya CD's heh heh. :rolleyes:

Boss Raptor
4th Aug 2001, 13:11
There was a new Mark Knopfler album 'Sailing to Philadelphia' released a couple of months back...

The best DS album has to be 'Love Over Gold' with Private Investigations and Telegraph Road, it was these tracks that hooked me many years ago...

Tricky Woo
4th Aug 2001, 14:12
Hi All,

Fear not, for Mark Knoffler is alive and well, and enjoying his new life. Why a new life? Read on...

Well, it came as a terrible shock to Mark when a friend pointed out to him that he'd hadn't cracked a smile in twenty five years.

Appalled at the thought that he might be a miserable old ****, Mark immediately dug out an old video of Dire Straits performing live. After a few days of frame-by-frame examination, he triumphantly found a single shot of himself apparantly smiling.

This reassured him for a few weeks, until a old, experienced roadie pointed out that on that particular day Mark had been suffering from a dreadful bout of gas and flatulence, so it wasn't a real smile, it was wind. This came as a bitter blow to Mark, let me tell you.

Knowing that something radical was required, he immediately checked himself into the lesser known, but greatly respected, "Betty Ford Cortina Mark Two Clinic for Miserable Popstar C**ts Who Take Themselves Far Too F**king Seriously". It was there that he met up with "The Fartist Formerly Known as Ponce" and Chris Rea.

After six months of intense therapy, he was a changed man. He is now able to laugh joyously with the rest of the world at that pretentious load of bollocks known as the Love Over Gold album. He even manages a convincing smile when it's pointed out that the Money For Nothing single signalled the demise of any real creativity by Dire Straits.

TW

[ 04 August 2001: Message edited by: Tricky Woo ]

Hagbard the Amateur
4th Aug 2001, 15:04
I heard he was going to make a collaboration album with Chris Rea. It is going to be called "Dire Rea."

edited for idiocy
[ 04 August 2001: Message edited by: Hagbard the Amateur ]

[ 04 August 2001: Message edited by: Hagbard the Amateur ]

tony draper
4th Aug 2001, 15:16
Heh heh, good stuff Mr H. :D

The Keg
4th Aug 2001, 20:22
wwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooo really ccaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeees.

Monotone Knoffler. :eek:

swashplate
4th Aug 2001, 20:27
Don't slag it off chaps!!!!

At least he does real music and not that Boy band crap..... :eek:

Stiff Lil' Fingers
4th Aug 2001, 22:34
I can report that he is alive and touring (well, I saw a flyer for a show whilst on holiday in Norway a couple of weeks ago).

He looks like he's turned into abit of a bloater though from the picture on the flyer.....and heaven forbid Tricky but I vaguely recall that he had a trace of a smile on him. More gas maybe?

Surely must be a contender for 'least dynamic stage performer' but 'oh the boy can play'!

Rollingthunder
4th Aug 2001, 22:52
Keg, thanks for adding absolutely nothing to the discussion!! What are you afraid of to inspire such a non response? ;)

Eric
5th Aug 2001, 03:43
Oi! Leave Chris Rea out of this.
I used to go out with a Stainsby Girl! :eek: :eek:

BRL
6th Aug 2001, 01:00
He was on local radio a while back promoting his new(ish) album. Still a boring old git even now.
By the way, does he still have a headband and dodgy Mullet.? :)

RampTramp
6th Aug 2001, 17:00
I don't care what youse all say, I still reckon he's great! THe 'Sailing to Philidelphia' album needs a couple of listens but there are some real great tracks.

Great moment in life was seeing him guesting with Eric Clapton in BRU. I can confirm, for those doubters among you, that he definately spent a lot of time smiling, especially during the encore when God & Jesus did 'Money for Nothing'. Fair raised the roof.

Kermit 180
6th Aug 2001, 17:25
Dire Straits when driving in the car in traffic. Something eerie about the music, particularly Private investigations. Awesome.

Kerms

Parapunter
6th Aug 2001, 21:35
Neck & Neck - the album with the late, great Chet Atkins - well worth a pop, fantastic picking style & Mark Knopfler is still the greatest guitarist of his generation not to play with a plectrum - style thing, you luddites!

Azure
9th Aug 2001, 23:35
My favorite on "Neck & Neck - Poor Boy Blues".

As for "Sailing to Philadephia" well, this CD is a must have for any Knopfler fan. Rock, Country, Blues, all on one CD, what more can you ask for? I, for some reason love "The Last Laugh" most on that CD, what does that say about me?

:confused: