PDA

View Full Version : how do you look for a job?

skyman68
1st Mar 2004, 03:47
I would like to know how you look for a job. do you apply by internet, send resume, or do you knock at the doors?

how many resume do you send by e mail? can you give me a %.
(like 80% internet, 20 % email...)

where do you find adress, any magazines?

StudentInDebt
1st Mar 2004, 06:14
Join BALPA or the IPA and you can gain access to their employment databases which include contact information and a whole host of other goodies for UK airlines, air-taxi operators and some foreign companies.

mad_jock
1st Mar 2004, 18:51
Work out who you actually want to work for.

Then try

www.ppjn.com

Most don't like people visiting or calling and most don't even send a reply.

I didn't bother sending 40 plus cv's out. But each CV i sent had a covering letter which i put alot of effort into and my CV was doctored to what I thought the company was looking for. To be honest at the moment if you are low hours you will have to be very lucky to get a bite. 1000hrs plus Pilots are getting jobs. So stick in there the backlog of instructors will eventually run out and the hours required will decrease. ut the longer you stay in the <300 hours bracket the longer you will be leap frogged by graduating CPL's who go and instruct for a season to get there hours up.

MJ

dreamingA380
1st Mar 2004, 19:35
Hmmmm.

I'm one of the 1000 hr plus pilots.... and I’m still not having many bites.

As for e-mail CV versus posted and knocking on doors.... I have done all three. It looks like different companies have different preferences. I've kept a running log of who and when I've contacted operators and what (if any) was their response. This I found helped formulate a plan as I tend to try to cover my options.

None the less, some airlines seem to like the monthly phone call, others have virtually set up a restraining order! (well almost).

So to sum up, I would vary your approach and hopefully one will strike gold!.

Good luck

mad_jock
1st Mar 2004, 20:05
Try varying your contact address A380.

I know my company sort the CV's into piles around each base then when they require more crew at a base they get the pile out.

So if you have a relative near one of the bases of the company your applying to use it instead of your London one.

Also I have heard some regional err shall we say bigotry against people from the big smoke due to people in the past not making the change to living in the sticks.

I am sure some people will say I am talking bollocks but anything is worth a try.

MJ

dreamingA380
1st Mar 2004, 21:30
Mad Jock

Fabulous advise! I love that idea. I havent tried that one... but certainly will do.
Mind you, I'm getting to the stage where I will try most things!.(well almost!)

take it easy

Superfly
2nd Mar 2004, 20:27
Skyman,

I bought a good book that tells you how to be effective without waisting your time/ energy/ money..... It's called JOB HUNTING FOR PILOTS ( ISBN 0-8138-1042-6 )

SF

34R
5th Mar 2004, 13:02
Hey guys,

Just curious as to how the majority of you over there build up to your first 1000hrs.
I currently work for a charter mob in Oz in the Northern Territory, building hours in my trusty 210 with the hope of moving onto twins once I crack the 1000 mark (only about 300 to go! )
Unless you are extremely lucky this seems to be the time honoured way of doing things over here.
What are the GA opportunities throughout Europe, and what kind of experience levels would you expect to land a twin/turbine/jet job?
I have neither the money nor entitlements to work in Europe, unfortunately, so my question is purely for my own curiousity.

Thanks in advance

Artificial Horizon
5th Mar 2004, 20:28
34R,

There is no one answer to your question. The optimum route that you can take here in Europe is to do a one year course to get all of your licences. Once this is done you look for work on anything you can get, this ranges from turboprops right through to 757/767/737 and airbuses.

Quite a few guys get lucky and move onto jets with only 200 hours (seems low I know, but it is different here than in Oz/NZ). Most however aren't this lucky and end up instructing or doing charter stuff until they get their first break. I myself had 1000 hours instructing before moving onto turboprops, some on my course though had only 200 hours. So all down to luck.

south coast
5th Mar 2004, 23:10
i would appreciate some advise from anyone who is perhaps able to offer some....

i have done the i/r and only have to do the cpl flight test to gain the f atpl, and would like to know what my chances are in gaining employment in the uk at the moment.

i have 2000 hours, 800 on a king air, 650 on beech 1900d.

i keep putting off coming back to the uk to do the flight test as i already have a flying job on the 1900 with a south african company, and would therefore like to know whether those of you in the uk think that people are getting jobs before i give up what i have.

thanks....