PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 Medical in Gran Canaria

mazzy1026
1st Mar 2004, 03:24
Hi people

Does anybody know if I can get a class 1 medical in Gran Canaria ? And if so - how do the regulations compare with ours (UK) particularly in the eyesight ?

Reason I ask is because I am very slightly outside the -5.00 d limit and believe that you can get an FAA one in USA which has no limit - can I do this in Gran Canaria - i'm going there in June and thought it was worth a try.

If I can get one - can it be converted in the UK and would I come under renewal limits?

I am asking a lot here so any advice and info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lee

Dead_Heading
1st Mar 2004, 04:28
I'm not an expert, so correct me anyone if I'm wrong but...

Phone the CAA medical centre at Gatwick. If you are outside the initial standard, but within renewal (-8d) then you can file for a deviation, which basically means they will issue you with a class 1, but with a note about it, and after next renewal, this is removed.

BTW, FAA class 1 means that you get CAA renewal limits, I think.

mazzy1026
1st Mar 2004, 04:49
Hey DH thanks for that quick response!

I have heard about this deviation but not sure how it works - is it black and white - simply meaning if you are within renewal you can get a deviation note or is the case still frowned upon ?

Im only -5.5 in both eyes which isnt much.

I will be going to Gran Canaria anyway in June so thought I would give it a try!

Cheers

Lee

whitelabel
1st Mar 2004, 21:37
I believe Grand canaria uses the same regulations as spain because it is spain.
search the internet for a spanish JAA med 1.
But normally JAA UK is the first one with changing rules. I hope you will be a lucky man but the chances are limited.

goodluck