PDA

View Full Version : Latin American Aviation-- on the leading edge of Globalization?

Panama Jack
29th Feb 2004, 18:27
It's not not often that Latin America is a "first" in anything when it comes to industry and commerce, however, I ponder whether the region is, at least in it's aviation industry, at the forefront of consolidation and the creation of the concept of "Global Airlines." I recall reading an industry analyst predicting that, within a few years, there will be less than 10 global trunk carriers. This will not include the low-cost niche carriers. Given the merger between Air France and KLM, I think there is evidence that this is happening slowly.

But consider this in Latin America:

*GRUPO TACA-- the formation of Aviateca, TACA, TACA Honduras, NICA, LACSA and TACA Peru. These names are starting to disappear and the airline is starting to simply be recognized as "TACA"

*LAN (making it's rebranded debut in March)-- a collection of LanChile, LanExpress, LanEcuador, LanPeru and LanDominicana.
LanChile is also in negotiations with authorities for the purchase of L'neas Aéreas Federales (Lafsa) in Argentina.

*Continental-- with their purchase (and paint scheme) with COPA Airlines

And then there is the question of what will happen to the Colombian airline AVIANCA. According to an article I saw, AVIANCA, which is currently under US Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Protection, is looking for a buyer. Of course, the usual suspects' names emerged as being "interested"-- namely Grupo TACA, LAN Chile, and Continental/COPA Airlines.

Say, anybody in Chile who would like to chat? PM me please.

AeroBoero
3rd Mar 2004, 01:27
In Brazil we have the big ones; VARIG (RG), TAM (JJ), VASP and GOL. There is currently a code-share operation between RG and JJ as a start to a merger movement. Till this day no one can say for sure what will happen. VASP still flies thanks to their own fleet of ageing 732 and the owner always saying they will get new planes. GOL is out there as a low fare but here in Brazil that isn’t exactly the same concept as we see in EU or US. But they have the “ red eyes” now that compete directly with busses in our country.
That’s about it today in our scenario.