PDA

View Full Version : GPS serial drivers

Jinkster
29th Feb 2004, 06:25
I have a Garmin GPS 12. I also have a interface cable for it - serial to GPS connector.

Does anyone know where I can get the drivers from so it will function with my Laptop.

Many thanks,

Jinkster

PS: Already tried the garmin site.

swh
29th Feb 2004, 12:52
Jinkster,

GPS devices normally dont need a device driver.

The GPS just output a serial stream in a specified format, NMEA is a common format built into programs that use a GPS on a computer.

These programs tend to read direct from the serial port without a device driver.

Fujiflyer
29th Feb 2004, 16:39
Jinkster, the Garmin site has a downloadable specification for the comms protocol which you might be interested in. As swh says the communications is fairly simple - the spec' explains it clearly in a "C" programming language type format.

You can either write a simple (ish) programme in something like VB or Labview to communicate with it or if you don't want to be bothered you can buy an interface programme from a number of websites for about £25 or so.

Jinkster
1st Mar 2004, 00:16
I am wanting to use my GPS with the autoroute programme however it doesnt recognise there is a GPS connected to the laptop

Anyone else had similar problems?

ORAC
1st Mar 2004, 02:30
Go to the Garmin's interface page and select an input/output of none/NMEA. If you have a choice of NMEA output format, select NMEA 0183 2.0.

If you have a choice of output connection protocol, select:
4800 baud
8 bits
Parity = none
1 stop bit

Make sure it's connected to Comms Port 1 or 2 - Autoroute is designed not to recognise any device on Comm3 or Comm4.

I know the following is not written for the Garmin, but trying the various suggestions should enable you to see if your GPS is sending data to your PC. Let us know the results. Microsoft (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;286509&Product=aut)

Jinkster
1st Mar 2004, 05:00
Thanks all for the help.

ORAC - now works. Interfaced it as you said. Still didnt work with autoroute, so decided to reinstall the autoroute software and bobs your auntie it worked.

Many thanks for all the help.

:ok: Pprune saves the day once again.

Jinkster