PDA

View Full Version : A simple question???

paddyboy
29th Feb 2004, 03:47
Hi all, need some assistance please.....

I've deleted and reinstalled Office '03 several times and I keep losing memory. ie started off with 16gb & now down to 14.7.

Tried a system restore and it didn't help. The previous installs are obviously being stored somewhere but I'm flummoxed(?) as to where they can be????

HELP????!
Thanks in advance.

PADDY:ok:

fobotcso
29th Feb 2004, 04:11
Bless you Paddy, it's not memory that is seing used, it's Hard Disk space.

Since you tried a system restore, I guess you are using Windows XP. So it's highly likely that, in the installation(s) you have been trying, a lot of files have been copied from the CD to your Hard Disk and the installation has then been done from there.

The location of these files is probably either:

C: \Windows\Temp (or similar), or

C: \Documents and Settings\fobotcso\Local Settings\Temp

Put your User name where mine is.

I'll bet it's the second. They're detritus and should be done away with after the installtion.

paddyboy
29th Feb 2004, 04:49
fobotcso,

Many thanks for your reply. Indeed it is my hard drive I am having problems with.

Now, I don't want to sound like a complete IT novice but.... How do I look at the files you've mentioned???

Tried the search method but it wasn't playing ball.
Thanks again.

PADDY :ok:

fobotcso
29th Feb 2004, 06:51
Paddy, you can do this a couple of ways.

Find My Computer and double-click it. You will see the "Drive(s)" that your Hard Disk is divided into. There may only be one and that will be the "C" Drive.

Double-click the "C" Drive and there will be a "Tree" of the Folders that make up the Drive. These Folders hold the Files that make the Computer work. (As well as the detritus!)

You should be able to follow the branches of the Tree as I described above and look into the Folders where your Files may be lurking. Then you can click on them and delete them.

But, you know, they are not doing any harm lying dormant there and you could let well alone while you get used to the Beast.

BTW, the other way would be to open Windows Explorer from

Start>Programs>Accessories>Windows Explorer.

'night, fobs

paddyboy
29th Feb 2004, 22:47
fobs,

Sorted!!!
Now have 16.1gb's.

Thank you very much.

PADDY:ok: