PDA

View Full Version : a $0.02 question about flight training and visa

DXman
28th Feb 2004, 02:22
Hi!

Here is my question: assuming I'm a student on a F1 visa for an engineering degree at a university. Do you thinks guys it would be OK to take some hours during my weekend and work on a IFR or multi ratings? I asked a CFI few days ago and he told me that an examiner must ask the student pilot to show his/her visa before starting the checkride... Tricky thought: do you have to hold a specific visa for flight training or being in the USA legally (under a F1 visa) is enough?

Sometimes I'm dreaming of being a student pilot when America was the eldorado for pilots... :{

mattpilot
2nd Mar 2004, 07:55
i'll add to that with a similar question:

I have an "I" Visa, or journalist visa, which allows me to go to school and train for anything. I'm actually attending an Aviation college right now to complete my fixed-wing training. However, there is no Part 141 Helicopter school in this area. Since my visa is not restrictive and includes any school, could i also use my visa to gain Part 61 training for a helicopter rating?

Btw DXman, i think i can answer your question. I'm fairly sure that F1 visas restrict you to a specific school and to a specific program. So i do believe you would have to get another authorization from the INS to engage in another education program.

propdog
30th Mar 2004, 13:57
I have been flying the US skies as a flight instructor and freight pilot. I have instructed students on F1 visas. Examiners just want proof that you're legal to stay here. Visa type does not specify pilot training in the first place. So, my assumption would be, yes, you can do flight training on your F1 as long as you maintain your F1 status at the university. If interested, I'll be glad to ask the FAA this question myself and post it here.