PDA

View Full Version : Extraordinary from GVA: everybody can carry a swiss knife!

ILS27LEFT
27th Feb 2004, 17:20
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-13002377,00.html

konrad roubel
27th Feb 2004, 17:39
I was travelling through Geneva a couple of weeks ago and the woman in front of me was pulled over as we went through the hand baggage x ray machine. The security bloke went through her bag and pulled out a large Swiss army knife. He wagged his finger at her disapprovingly and handed it back to her. She then got on our flight... Great. She may have had a couple of kids with her and looked every bit the Bromley housewife but what are these security rules for?

Global Pilot
27th Feb 2004, 18:27
It is legal in most EU countries to carry blades shorter than 6cm. This allows for Swiss or Leatherman tools to be carried. I know they can be turned into offensive weapons but you have a right to carry them. On board however is not the high street or the working environment where these tools were intended.

Security lapses regarding knives are not limited to Swiss ports. Last September I arrived at Bournemouth late for a Ryanair scheduled service to Hahn. Check in was closed but the helpful rep passed me a boarding card and suggested I rush to the gate and try my luck in convincing the redcap if she would accept me. I would have to take my check in bag to the gate. In my luggage I was carrying a Leatherman tool as well as razor blades (all of which where intended to go in the hold). Security let me through without question. I put my request to the gate agent who in turn asked the dispatcher to accept me and 1 piece. Luck was on my side as the departure was delayed by about 15mins giving time for the load sheet to be amended. My concern was that during this time I had full access to the contents of my suitcase. I could have removed the knife and easily carried it on board.

I don't in anyway wish to detract from the help I received in getting me on the flight. I was late and should have been denied boarding. This kind of assistance in a hectic airport environment could be used by persons to get something harmful on board.

Carriers are at the mercy of security personnel (even those acting in good faith).

MaxReheat
27th Feb 2004, 21:09
Congratulations Geneva! Perhaps a return to a common sense approach to so-called security. As has been discussed extensively in these forums, there are a thousand and one objects already on board an aircraft with which to kill somebody - no need to smuggle anything.

What are the security rules for? They are there as a sop, introduced by knee-jerk reaction politicians, to be seen to be doing something about something they have, in reality, little control over. It is high time that the airline industry, particularly in the US and UK who have driven much of this hysteria about security, to get government to stand back and reassess some of the ridiculous regulations that have been introduced.

incubus
27th Feb 2004, 22:53
I tend to agree, but if there are going to be rules then they need to be applied consistently.
I too long for a return to the common-sense level of security that we had before.

On the flight, our reporter sat near the cockpit.
LOL! Did she spend 2 hours trying to hack down the door with a swiss army knife whilst doing her best not to sever her fingers?
Was the article not exciting enough?

On a recent flight to London, I sat near the engine. If I had thrown my in-flight meal into the engine, I could have killed everyone!

Frankfurt_Cowboy
27th Feb 2004, 23:17
In-flight meal?? No, you've lost me.

weasil
27th Feb 2004, 23:23
politicians, to be seen to be doing something about something they have, in reality, little control over.

Max,

do you think that there is noway we can stop people from hijacking aircraft? Or are you saying it's not a job for politicians? Or could they have control over this situation with better regulations than what we have now?

MaxReheat
28th Feb 2004, 03:28
Given the lethal objects which already exist in the cabin the banning of my 14 year old daughter's eyebrow plucking tweezers or my wife's cuticle scraper or my granny's nail clippers from gong on board an aircraft is ridiculous in the extreme - and our idiot legislators would see that if they attempted to rationalise the regulations which have been introduced.

I suggest that the determined hijacker or terrorist (who is anonymous to the security authorities) will get on any aircraft and there is little that x-ray machines, sniffer dogs or thousands of security staff can do about it. That is not to say that the overt lunatic should not be detected in their attempt to board carrying a sledge hammer nor the overt terrorist bristling with guns. 'Reasonable' security should be able to deter the 'amateur' - but I repeat that there multiple ways of wreaking havoc on board the aircraft and all the security in the world will not prevent the apparently 'Mr Ordinary' getting through all the checkpoints before he (or she) lets loose. Therefore, security has to be targetted - there can be no legislation for the 'one off'. Stopping my granny and her nail clippers is not the answer.

nooluv
28th Feb 2004, 03:46
INCUBUS

Watching Sky News tonight! She didn't need to hack down the
cockpit door , as the crew opened it (five) times to use the " BOG"
(USA translation "JOHN")

nooluv........

BEagle
28th Feb 2004, 16:57
Good to see some commonsense re-appearing.

The 'criminalisation' of air travel, particularly by the ridiculous Yanks, has got to stop. Rude, aggressive and intrusive jobsworths, insane regulations, all in the name of so-called 'security'......:mad: :mad:

B737NG
29th Feb 2004, 01:49
I would love to see that more happen but I passed thru security in ZUR and have a small sizzor for my mustache with me and they do even not ask about it. Then in CDG they open my trolley and look at it. The peak is rounded and considert as no threat. "Madmoiselle" could then distinguish that I am not threatening my passengers with that 2.5 cm blade and let me thru. In LHR the jobworths then intended to delay the flight as I had to agrue that I cannot check in that bag because I am taking an AC out and I can give the baggage handlers that piece of luggage at the gate and it does not go into the cabin. When I change Aircraft after the flight to go home I receive often a STBY bording pass and I have to carry my bags to the gate. A hassle but it prevents from traveling me without my bags and vice versa. It is still possible ! believe me. I intended to travel on AL from SFO to SEA and got rerouted over PDX my 2.5 cm sizzor was with the rest of my luggage allready in SFO and I put my head down and used my "emergency kit" for the unexpected overnight in PDX. So far to the wide spreaded "common sense" about security.

NG

Tinstaafl
3rd Mar 2004, 02:25
re the title of this thread:

Not really correct. It's quite ordinary that the Swiss feel that a pocket knife is not a credible threat. What is extraordinary is all the other authorities current view that all passengers are raving terrorists itching to get pocket knives onto flights for nasty purposes... :* :rolleyes:

grow45
5th Mar 2004, 18:42
I've noticed this Swiss approach to knives on several occasions and presume it is simply to allow ordinary pax to arm themselves against any terrorists who might be on the plane.:rolleyes:

A bit like the old joke of the bouncer at the dodgy nightclub asking people if they have any weapons on them and handing them out if they dont.

g45