PDA

View Full Version : DJ go-around at YPAD - any details?

Robinxoog
27th Feb 2004, 07:26
Hi everyone!

Had an interesting experience flying into Adelaide last night, and was wondering if anyone had any details. First time I've ever been in a go-around in a non-lightie, and I was curious as to what circumstances might have led to the situation to begin with. All my observations were from seat 24F, so all implied limitations on what I could possibly know from there.

Here's what I know for sure: at about 2145 local time, we (DJ 358, from Perth) passed to the north of Adelaide airport on a right downwind to runway 23. When we were roughly on a close-in right base, there was another aircraft in the vicinity of the approach lights also landing runway 23. From there, we made a right turn to become established on final (turning final, the PAPI was four whites viewed from row 24), at which point the landing gear was extended, as were the flaps (previously extended to something like a takeoff flap setting - a 737NG driver can probably tell how many degrees that might have been). In the vicinity of the airport boundary, the engines were increased to go-around thrust (or something like it) and we went from a descent to a climb, after which we climbed straight ahead, levelled out, and began another right circuit. At this point the captain made an announcement that we had made a go-around (he referred to it as an "aborted landing") because we had been too close to the preceding aircraft, and that we'd be making a right circuit to land. From there, we maneuvered similarly to the previous approach, except this time we made a dogleg turn to final, and were established on final for only 25 seconds prior to touchdown (this time the PAPI was "on slope", viewed from row 24, turning final). Conditions at the time were clear sky and unrestricted visibility, and calm or light wind.

Does anyone had any further details as to what actually happened?

Of course, I wouldn't be a pilot or a flight instructor (yes, I am both) if I didn't have some guesses or opinions, but I'll keep those to myself... I'm more interested to gather information about what actually happened. Anyone know anything? Feel free to PM if you'd prefer not to reply in public. I'm not a representative or current employee either of Virgin Blue or of any government authority - just an interested party (... with a current application for pilot employment at Virgin Blue :) ).

Cheers,
Robin

tobzalp
27th Feb 2004, 07:34
From what i heard, Bob Katter was on the runway with a weapon of mass destruction.

Wizofoz
27th Feb 2004, 07:40
Cut and pasted from my reply to a similar quert regarding an Emirates aircraft in R&N

No offence but...

A go-around is a normal procedure and any flight ops worth its salt makes it a non-reportable event to remove any pressure, tacit or otherwise, from a pilot going around for another go if there is any deviation from a normal approach.

Then someone sees it, puts it on the World Wide Webb, the Monday Morning Quarterback brigade gets stuck in and the pilots actions are analysed, criticised and he is vilified, often by people who don't know what the hell they're talking about. Do you want that in the back of the pilots mind next time YOU'RE a passenger and he gets a bit hot'n'high on approach?

I know your query was purely from curiosity, but, honestly, next time you see a go-around, just say to yourself "There goes a Pro doing his job" and go back to the crossword.

Regards, Wiz

(Yes I Have!)

*Lancer*
27th Feb 2004, 07:45
I can't help but wonder why, as a flight instructor, your first post on a Professional Pilots Forum is about a Go-Around. ;) You probably do one more than twice every day! The reasons for a go-around in a 737 are no different to the reasons in a lightie...

Robinxoog
27th Feb 2004, 08:08
Wiz & Lancer - fair comments, and point taken. It was simply out of curiosity - when I'm in one of the two seats up the front, I'm used to being able to see the chain of events that led to the go-around. The pilot deserves all due credit for executing the go-around, and it's exactly to avoid the armchair pilot criticism that I've posted only what I (or any other passenger, or planespotter) might have observed at the time, rather than any additional inference or opinion. Just to be on the clear side:

- I'm glad the pilot did a go-around
- I'm curious to know bits of the situation that I couldn't observe as a passenger (ATC instructions, other aircraft arriving after us that we had to "beat", company visual approach profiles/procedures, etc.), which is the reason for my posting
- I would have no hesitation in knowingly flying as a passenger of that pilot again - I'd much rather a pilot that goes around every other time than one who doesn't go around the one time he should.

Cheers,
Robin

Kaptin M
27th Feb 2004, 08:28
From the outset let me confess that I have no idea why this particular crew on this particular flight elected to carry out a go-around. However, co-incidentally, I did the same just last night, for reasons of SAFETY....in my case it was strong winds (from outside the cockpit :8 ) on final approach.

Regardless though, Robin, as an instructor, you are aware that there are a "multiplicity" of reasons for executing a go-around - and perhaps not just one.
Recent "crash comics" have stressed more and more the probablitiy that most accidents that occurred during the approach and landing phase might have been avoided, had the crew made a missed approach.
Additionally, airline aircraft are now fitted with ACMS - a monitoring system that records all flight manouevres during all phases of flight, and which alerts the company to any non-normal (and normal) deviations from SOPs eg. during approach, high rod's, excessive/low airspeed. unusual pitch/roll angles, etc, etc.
If ANY of these are observed, the Company may send a "Please explain why" to the crew.
In the case of a go-around, this will generally absolve the crew of any "wrongdoing", and may, in fact, PREVENT an accident and damage/injuries to pax and plane.]

In short, a go-around is done for reasons of SAFETY.

OVER THE TOP
27th Feb 2004, 08:29
It seems that the captain has already answered the question for you in his PA.

Capt Fathom
27th Feb 2004, 08:53
Plan for a missed approach on every arrival, then if everything is going well, land!

Keg
27th Feb 2004, 10:14
You can't read too much into being high on a PAPI coming across base either. A bit like being high on the glideslope at 10 dme but tracking at 90 degrees to the LOC and descending. You won't be high for long. ;)

I-matung
27th Feb 2004, 10:51
Robin,

Why type out 25 lines in order to find out info on a go around? To your credit, you did ask 'why', but for the life of me I can't see the logic behind the query considering you are a commercially rated pilot yourself.

So the Perth-Adelaide flight went around. Whoopee Do! Just a gut feeling, but are you trying to hang someone whilst using a public internet forum such as this? In any event, your post does appear a trifle waste of bandwith! No offense.

Maybe one day I'll get a life too!

:ok:

Robinxoog
27th Feb 2004, 11:09
I-matung: no offense taken. And no, I'm not trying to hang anyone... it genuinely *was* a request for information (the 25 lines was to try and explain what I did know already, apart from the basics [i.e. go-around is for safety], which I figured went without saying). Since my post is assumed to have an ulterior motive, no matter how carefully worded, this seems like a good point at which to end the thread.

Last word: good job by the pilots last night. Hope you're flying the next leg of my travels.

Dogimed
27th Feb 2004, 12:02
Robin, Be glad you asked,

I would be just as curious for confirmation of what happened, let these old twats rumble on about it but I would be just as bloody curious.

Even though the pilot said it, perhaps Robin was looking for a direct way of saying thanks.

Jeeze guys..... get a grip, relax and let it go.

Dog

Hempy
27th Feb 2004, 13:09
I saw 2 go-arounds inside one cigarette break in ML the other week. I'm thinking of freelancing for one of the tabloids, I could make a mint