View Full Version : Checking for Danger

EasyBaby
27th Feb 2004, 06:15
Going over some S.E.P questions on a really quite flight today, we were discussing hw the cabin crew check through the "porthole" window in an emergency to check that it is safe to open the door and that it is a suitable exit. But how are we supposed to be able to check for this danger when the majority of the time these windows are either totally frozen over or degraded in such a state that the become useless. Is this not a saftey isssue? And why have (i work Boeings) Boeing not come up with a better or larger window for this very important/lifesaving task?

One other thing that has been bugging me latley (or every winter) is the stupid lino in the rear and fwd galley floors, that mixed with water/de-icing fluid, becomes a death trap!! I never new its my job to catch passengers, their supposed to be SLF!!

overhere
27th Feb 2004, 06:29
I work on B737's everyday and can't say I have seen the same porthole issues regurally. It can happen in very cold conditions, however if it is as regular as you say perhaps it is something that should be brought to the attention on your airline. If worse came to worse, it would be worth you walking a couple of metres to the rear row and look out the window, better spending 5 seconds looking then popping your slide into a life threatening situation!

EasyBaby
27th Feb 2004, 06:58
One more thing before i finally pack up and go to bed, but another real pet hate that i have is despite it being a saftey issue on several a/c the tray tables on the overwing exit row are not always removed/nailed shut. On serval landings i have had complaints from pax and seen it happen on a bumpy landing the tray table falls down or the pax brings is down after cabin secure to read their book!! Anyone else have this problem?

Thats everything off my chest now!!!

overhere
27th Feb 2004, 12:45
Again, never had this issue, we have tables installed on our all exit row seats and I'm yet to see/hear of one falling down. How small are the latches????? Unless they are breaking off all the time or not latched properly it would seem strange.

What you've highlighted in this post is a number of safety concerns you have as operating crew, it would be best for you to use your companies safety reporting system (either confidential or otherwise) to bring them to the attention of your companies QA department.

TightSlot
27th Feb 2004, 16:18
If you cannot see out of the door window (it usually contains a wide-angle viewer) then the Commander should be advised for entry in the Tech Log. The problem probably won't be fixed immediately, or even soon, but it might get fixed next time the a/c is in the hangar for maintenance.

As far as I'm aware, there is no specific requirement for the viewer to function in order for the aircraft to depart.

--------------------
Per Ardua Ad Ibiza

ShesGreatintheGalley
28th Feb 2004, 19:41
arnt the small windows for decompression reasons? Incase they blow out to protect the crew somewhat and preserve the door? I agree though.. it would probably be pot luck opening your door in an emergency if all you can see is directly ahead and not to the sides or below.

Flying_Sarah747
28th Feb 2004, 19:48
I've always been able to see out my windows, and we fly into really cold places like Moscow etc, but I do agree that they're VERY tiny, and they kind of magnify everything outside so it looks like it's way closer than it is, which could also be deceiving in an emergency eg. you think the danger is closer than it really is, but I can see the point of them being small for decompression also. I never knew that was the reason why!

XL ONE
29th Feb 2004, 00:34
we get the windows steaming on 73, 75 and 76 but only sometimes - could be just the temperature changes during descent ?

panavia
29th Feb 2004, 02:34
I totally agree with the whole window freezing thing, But the only REAL thing you are checking for is Water (if ditching) and fire, or a tree etc, but look on the bright side, if there is a bloody great fire out side, it sure solves your ice problem!!!

EasyBaby
29th Feb 2004, 05:03
Don't the 777's and 747's have relativley larger windows in the door? Almost full size pax windows! So are those doors extra strong incase of a decomp?

trolleylad
29th Feb 2004, 09:29
An EZY 737-300 more so than the 700 has windows on the doors which are too high for a crew to see out off when sat in a crew seat. What crew forget is that when checking for hazards (should you have to open the door or blow a slide) you would be standing up not seated.

With alot of experience of flying on the 737 (various types) I have observed that windows do freeze over but not fully and should it happen, you would obvioiusly at least crack the door and determine the best action from there.

I would say that crew have this observation of windows being out of place because they like to be nosy on take off and landing and have a good look out of the window to see what they are missing.

Remember the real saftey implications that you were taught in SEP. Telling your company that your view (or what you expect your view/opinion to be) isnt to your liking, is not an SEP issue. Boeing would not exist if they were getting it wrong.

767, and 757 windows do indeed have a magnifier window from which you can see oiut of more than adequatly. And maybe they should be fitted to the 737 too.

overhere
29th Feb 2004, 09:52
With alot of experience of flying on the 737 (various types) I have observed that windows do freeze over but not fully and should it happen, you would obvioiusly at least crack the door and determine the best action from there.

Would you? You would risk "cracking the door" when there could well be water above the frame or smoke/flames in the immediate area of your door? "Cracking" the door without having first had a look of what is outside is dangerous and life threatening. If you can't see out the window, you need to find another way to look outside, thats what we are paid for. You are much better off spending an extra 5 seconds then opening your door and finding water or smoke entering your cabin!

Remember the real saftey implications that you were taught in SEP. Telling your company that your view (or what you expect your view/opinion to be) isnt to your liking, is not an SEP issue. Boeing would not exist if they were getting it wrong.

This is a real safety issue comment. If at any stage you, as crew are not happy with the condition of your aircraft you should make it known to the Purser/Capt and/or enter it in your cabin log. You should not dispatch if you feel there is a safety issue with your aircraft. Crew MUST be encouraged to bring up ALL safety issues they have with the aircraft, not just ones that were highlighted during EP training. Boeing have got things wrong, aircraft have gone down and thankfully other ones have been saved through the reporting of crew (both tech and cabin).

Remember you have both open and confidential reporting systems in your company for a reason. If you're not happy say something. Don't sit back and say "it must be normal, boeing don't make mistakes", thats exactly how incidents/accidents happen and is an area that shows a lack of understanding in CRM.

Brandy
2nd Mar 2004, 16:46
:ugh: Well if i have learned anything form this post it is to hope that i am not an Easy jet passenger with a crew who crack the door when the A/C has made an emergency landing/ditching!!!!

Thoughts of the 'British Airtours' disaster at MAN spring to mind!!!!! (crew memeber opening door and flames licking inside the cabin)

MY GOD !!! :uhoh:

I am just glad tat i have a full size passenger window on my 747!! :rolleyes:

And like someone else mentioned!! what does it take to walk a few feet to look out of the passenger window!! much better view! :ok:

:}