PDA

View Full Version : Slow computerclock

proxus
27th Feb 2004, 04:03
Hi there great forum !

I was wondering if anyone of you would be able to help me.

My problem as you probably noticed, is that my puter clock is messing with me.

I know it could be the internal battery but this happens while the puter is fired up. I can even watch it ( in adjust date/time ) going slow.

It ticks for 3-5 seconds, then pauses for maybe 1/2 a sec and then runs for further 3-5 secs.

I've run spyware remover and antivirus and nothing came up.

One thing though, this is a IMB laptop and my cat tipped a glass of water over while I was out and when I came back it was standing in water.
I dried it up and took the chance of turning it on again. Everything OK exept the clock.

The puter runs everything as usual exept this clock issue.
I had one last idea if anyone would know.
Could DC++ (sharing software) have anything to do with it.
I had just installed it when this water issue happened.

Thanks a million for even reading this. Any help greatly appreciated.

Proxus

Naples Air Center, Inc.
27th Feb 2004, 05:58
Proxus,

Usually that is caused by:

Virus
Malware
Mobo Battery
Memory Resident Program

Try booting in Safe Mode and see if you still have the clock problem.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Never know, I might have to add Cat with water to my list too. :D

proxus
27th Feb 2004, 07:40
-I used Norton AV with the latest updates for the virus check
-Lavasoft Adavare for the spyware
-Checked Task manager to see if there was any memory draining software running. Did not find anything unusual there.
(although I am not shure how to tell if anything is draining unusual amounts of memory.)

-That leaves the battery. That arouses one question then.

Could a damaged battery slow down the clock while the puter is all fired up ?

Regards;
Proxus

Naples Air Center, Inc.
27th Feb 2004, 09:18
Proxus,

Try uninstalling your Norton Antivirus and see if it starts keeping time. Antivirus programs can cause a system clock to lose time.

Also if you have an nForce Chipset and are running Win98 it is one of the known bugs, but usually it is a system clock running at warp speed, not losing time.

It could be worth trying changing the battery but if you see it slow and speed up while the computer is running, I doubt it would be the mobo battery.

Take Care,

Richard

ORAC
27th Feb 2004, 15:40
It still might be battery related, try disabling the system battery monitor.

The battery monitor reads /proc/apm, which triggers the kernel to call the APM BIOS. The BIOS then switchs the CPU into System Management Mode while it polls the battery for the amount of charge left. System Management Mode is normally entered with interrupts disabled, so the kernel misses clock timer marks - which causes the real time clock to lose time.

proxus
13th Mar 2004, 07:38
Sorry guys/gals, I'm a bit of a novice here in this computer issues.

First of all; where do I find the system battery monitor so I can disable it ?

Secondly; Internet time tab ??

And Third; about removing and installing Norton. The point is that this is an IBM Thinkpad laptop that offers the chance of clean install from a protected area of the hard drive, sort of to make the puter run like new if i want.

If I shed the Norton program, would I be able to set it up again without having to "iron" the hard disk again and start with a clean install again ??

Best regards;
Proxus

Naples Air Center, Inc.
13th Mar 2004, 10:05
Proxus,

You can uninstall and reinstall Norton. If Norton, or any other program for that matter, does not let you install it correctly, that is an indication of other problems with your Operating System.

Take Care,

Richard