PDA

View Full Version : Courses to take during my senoir year of high school...

Thief13x
26th Feb 2004, 22:00
Yes, i will be entering my senoir year of high school in late 2004, and i was just wondering what courses might be good to take, or more specifically, what would look appealing to a flight school such as Embry Riddle? I've pretty much decided on taking Calc, Physics, and Biology, but i was wondering if I could get any recommendations from you guys who are training with the big boys.:cool:

P.s - Please forgive my underuse of the search function if this has been asked before

Happy Flying from

T13x

AIRWAY
26th Feb 2004, 22:22
courses might be good to take

Hi there,

Well its always nice to have a back up plan just in case aviation doesnt work for you, try and do something else ( course wise )that you like apart from flying.

Physics will help you later on in your career as a student pilot.

scroggs
27th Feb 2004, 16:16
The two answers you have received appear not to have understood that you are USA-based and are working to different requirements than the usual UK Wannabe.

You are probably aware that most major airlines in the USA require a four-year degree from their applicants. I believe that the Aeronatical Science degree from Embry-Riddle, with its ground and flight training, fits that requirement very well. Looking at the course content (see this site (http://http://www.erau.edu/db/degrees/b-aerosci.html)) suggest that you would be very wise to include mathematics and sciences in your high-school senior year studies. However, rather than rely on information thrown up by ignorant Brits ;), why not contact the University's admissions department and discuss the subject directly with them? I'm sure they'll be happy to help.

Scroggs

AIRWAY
27th Feb 2004, 16:34
ignorant Brits

:eek: :{

Ok ok, im sorry. :O

I actually wasnt aware that US airlines require a 4 year degree ( we all learn something new every day :8 )

We can always rely on the great captain scroggs :ok: :}

Thief13x
27th Feb 2004, 21:12
Thanks for the replies guys;) I just sent out for an information pack from Embry Riddle, so hopefully they will have some suggestions, as i put in that i'm still in high school. One question though, scroggs, you seem to be insinuating that the airlines in the UK only requier a two year flight school education. Is this true? should i move to the UK?:O

I might be considered a god if i came in with a four year ed:} (JK OC)

Fly safe

T13x:ok:

The Yank
28th Feb 2004, 00:36
I graduated from Embry-Riddle (Prescott) six years ago. If you want any info just give me a PM.

scroggs
28th Feb 2004, 03:20
Airway, I wouldn't expect any Brit Wannabe to have a handle on the American system; it's naturally not what you're focussing on. Those of us who can stand back from the system have a greater chance of picking up when a left-field ball arrives on the forum!

Thief, unless you have the right to work and live in the EU, don't get your hopes up about jobs here. Just because the system is different does not mean that pilots from either side of the pond are superior to those from the other side, and no-one will thank anyone who thinks he's got one over on the locals by having an irrelevant (in the EU) degree. Work with the system you have to achieve your aims. (And I do appreciate that you are joking!)

Scroggs