PDA

View Full Version : Employment

Hornet_26
26th Feb 2004, 10:51
I am after some advise on searching for a job within the aviation industry. I know this topic has come up a lot, so if you want to reply do so and if you dont please dont bother annoying me.

I finished school and went straight to the military, once the money started to come in I had the chance to start my dream of becoming a pilot. Anyway I left the military to study aviation at university and to finish CPL etc.

University was a good option for myself as I had not finished Year 11 and 12. I have now finished that university course and have a CPL/MECIR/FI Gr3.

At the moment I am still in Victoria but I am really not sure if this is a wise choice. I would like to travel to look for work but since I just finished university the money bags are drained.

I have had a few jobs and have got these jobs through the usual advert/interview means. It is therefore weird for me when I have been approaching operators for work when they dont advertise.

As I am in my mid to late twenty's I feel that I would be more settled in one particular company than a younger person, not sure if true. I also have a trade qualification, does this help in anyway (Electronics not aviation)

My dream would be to work for a company that does both flying training and scenic/charter. This is probably the dream of everyone though!

So I would just like some constructive comments on how, where to look for work and most imortantly what to say when I walk in the door (First impressions).

If I dont travel is it still wise to send off a heap of resumes with cover letters individually addressed to the CFI/CP of each company? I suppose you never know your luck!

Any help is appreciated

eh you! Pilot!
26th Feb 2004, 11:29
hornet,

Most employers prefer it if you are living in the area in which they operate. You don't hear of many that are employed just off a resume/phonecall, it is usually the persistence that pays off, although there are exceptions (just ask HA). Also by living in the area, you will be able to network with the local pilots( this usually helps as well). Apart from that its pretty much persistence and being in the right place at the right time.

Hope this helps some

EYP.

Hornet_26
26th Feb 2004, 11:34
Thanks

Thats the type of information I want

Cheers

inthesoup
26th Feb 2004, 20:39
Now yes everyone is after that type of job, but if you want good pay and a lot of flying hours (mainly instructing) give China Southern Flying College in WA a go. They are always after instructors. If you want any info on it look up there website www.cswafc.com.au for more info