PDA

View Full Version : Telstra Mobile SMS diversions

Scurvy.D.Dog
26th Feb 2004, 07:27
Has anyone else experienced the following?:-

- Person being called has Full Signal Strength
- Receiver rings twice'ish
- Person calling is given a recorded message that says'ish:-The person you are trying to contact has not answering and may not know you have called. If you would like them to know you have been trying to contact them, you can send an SMS message with your name and phone number, SMS charges apply after the toneNow thats great but when the receiver (Mobile) is standing next to a phone tower and the phone rings only twice before going to the message that offers another service that COSTS?:rolleyes: . Considering this is a new service, am I being paranoid in thinking that Telstra are drumming up new business charges by helping people to NOT answer in time?:hmm:

What the............:ooh:

Pharcarnell
26th Feb 2004, 09:09
And not only from a mobile.

Had a call the other night while my fixed fone was on delay diversion to the mobile for while I was out, rang twice on the land fone and went to the mobile, which was off, so I paid for the diversion AND the message retrieval.

Methinks the mighty "T" is playing fast and loose with the service to maximise the output (from our wallets).

As an extra for you to consider.
The signal strength has very little to do with being able to use the mobile. If all the time slots are full, you have LOTS of signal but cant get in. If you are near a multi company cell that doesnt include your company, you can have lots of signal anyway but you company is NOT able to service you.

Mr Whippy
27th Feb 2004, 06:52
I know the feeling!:confused:

About once a week someone will call me when the phone is showing a full strength signal, and be diverted straight to my message bank. This happened a couple of weeks ago when someone tried to call me on Tuesday, but I didn't get the message until FRIDAY.:*

btw if u call 1223 instead of 12455 for directory assistance, it's a free call...:ok:

turbantime
27th Feb 2004, 16:53
Not just a problem with telstra. I'm with the optus and although it shows full strength.....the damn calls still don't come through.

And on that note, when ringing mobiles....why do we always get charged when it's busy or get rejected...that's what s^!ts me! :mad:

Continental-520
28th Feb 2004, 15:00
Telstra are crooks. The only reason I still carry on using them is cause I need the wide/diverse coverage that they have over all the other carriers. Otherwise, I'd use this new mob called "3" or Virgin mobile, who do sms for a LOT less than the 25c that Telstra charge.

This is exorbitant, especially if you're a frequent user of sms.

turbantime
29th Feb 2004, 08:43
Check this with the providers but there is a setting in the phone which allow either the Telstra/Optus/Vodafone towers to be used. The default network selection setting is on automatic but some providers only allow their network to be used.

Some providers allow all the networks to be used at no extra cost (bit like the old days when you could use another bank's ATM to withdraw money free of charge).

May be worth trying if you're sick of your current providers.

Pass-A-Frozo
1st Mar 2004, 12:33
Make free calls instead.. do a net search for 2600 Hz , or "Blue Box" .. works in Australia (So I'm told)

This is for information purposes only, not an encouragement to commit telecommunications fraud . :ok: