PDA

View Full Version : Network issues

HelenD
26th Feb 2004, 02:30
My network has suddenly stopped allowing my pc's that run Windows 98 to access the one running Windows XP, they keep asking for a password. The XP PC can access the other PC's ok.
The only things i have changed recently is download the Sun java and to update Windows and antivirus. Does anyone have any ideas how this change could of happend and suggestions of how to fix it.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
26th Feb 2004, 02:46
HelenD,

Did you put a password on the directories and printers you are sharing? If not then you could create accounts on the WinXP Comp which the Win98 Comps can use to log in with to the WinXP Comp.

In Win98 you can set the computers to log in to the WinXP Comp each time the Win98 Comp boots, using the Username and Password.

Take Care,

Richard

fobotcso
26th Feb 2004, 02:48
"...they keep asking for a password." And I suppose there isn't one.

Oh Dear! Another variation on the theme of protection getting in the way of productivity. With me it's the other way around. :confused: My XP machines want my Win98SE machine to log in (UserName but no password).

May I suggest that, on the XP machine, you go to the Users part of Control Panel and check that the Guest Account has not been disabled. Machines accessing XP on a peer- to-peer LAN are always granted Guest status and have the limited privileges that you may have given the Guest User Group.

Hope this Helps. fobs

ORAC
26th Feb 2004, 03:32
Read the bottom notes as well (http://www.winnetmag.com/WindowsNetworking/Article/ArticleID/41245/WindowsNetworking_41245.html).

HelenD
26th Feb 2004, 05:32
Thanks for that link Orac I will try all those things, not sure how to go about reentering the password on the XP machiene though. Logging on to the accounts on the XP machine itself is no problem . lis just accessing the same accounts on the XP machine from the 98 PC that is the problem. All computers have the same accounts with the passwords for each account on each PC matching, I also have the guest account enabled on the XP PC. I have noticed that the settings on the XP PC is to use the authenticate as computer option should I change it to the authenticate as guest? I have not changed any settings at all in that area.

ORAC
26th Feb 2004, 06:01
When Simple File Sharing is enabled, all remote users authenticate as a Guest.

Remote users may be denied access on a share because the default permissions don't contain the Everyone group which Guest maps too, which is required for remote users that are using the Guest account to access the files. (I'm presuming something happened in this area during a security upgrade).

If this is the cause of the problem, you can correct it by unsharing and then resharing the affected drives/folders. The permissions should reset and you should be able to connect again.
-------------------------------------------------------

The second option is to enable the Guest account on your XP machine. (Start, Settings, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Local User and Groups, right click Guest and Enable).

Then (on your Win98 machine) go to Internet Options, Security under Local Intranet, User Authentication, and set it to Automatic Logon with Current Username and Password.

The problem with the above is lays your machine wide open for anyone else to access. Which is why it's disabled by default.
-------------------------------------------------

The third option is to create a 'new' user on your XP machine using the same user name and password used on the Win98 machine. (You may also need to change the network login preferences in W98 from "Windows Login" to "Microsoft Client for Windows Login" located under "Properties..." when right-clicking on the Network Neighborhood icon.)

Then you'll need to create shares for drives and/or folders you want to access and assign. Your Win98 machine should now be able to see the XP shares.

fobotcso
26th Feb 2004, 06:38
When you disable "Simple File Sharing" in the

Tools>Folder Options

Menu option of Windows Explorer, you get back full control of your options. The Security tab appears in the menu that you get when you right click on a Folder or File.

Thus you can reset the Permissions for accessing your Files. But this is a tedious business, which is why "Simple File Sharing" is Recommended.

For instance Microsoft will tell you that on XP machines sharing is not extended to Documents and Settings, Program Files and Windows Folders. But this is not the case if you disable Simple File Sharing and reset the Child Attibutes.

Don't forget that the Win98 machine won't be able to see the XP Folders and Files if they are on an NTFS volume. For total mutual visibility the whole setup has to be the FAT32 file system. But then I suspect you knew that if you had it all working satisfactorily before.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
26th Feb 2004, 06:43
fobotcso,

On a network it should not matter if the files are on an NTFS or FAT32 or even MAC or Linux. They should all be visible, if shared across a network no matter what file system the host computer is using.

Take Care,

Richard

fobotcso
27th Feb 2004, 18:46
I stand corrected, Richard, thank you.

I knew that but had forgotten it and needed to check and didn't...:confused:

On my quad-boot test machine, when in Win98SE I can't see the NTFS Win2K partition in the same box - naturally. But the NTFS volumes in other boxes on the LAN are visible.

I can't even see the "Drive" to map to it because it hasn't been "mounted". Life isn't fair. :\

The Nr Fairy
27th Feb 2004, 23:49
fobotsco:

If you need access to the NTFS partition from Win98, then http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm may help. But you probably knew that.

HelenD
28th Feb 2004, 02:01
What I did was to change the passwords on the XP PC to something else then back again, it now works ok. Still not sure how that could have fixed it as both PC's had identical accounts and passwords on them that happily access the local PC but not the other PC on the network.
Thought I ought to post the fix as it may help others. I would also like to thank those who offerd advice. I have definatly decided networking is a black art though fun.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
28th Feb 2004, 02:06
HelenD,

I am glad to hear you fixed it. That is great news! :ok:

Take Care,

Richard